A LITTLE LIFT for JET Li : EVO MFG 2.5" JL Boost Stage 4 w/Shock Extensions

BillArnett

... this is just the first step in a LONG progression of upgrades to come. We're just getting set up for the next step to come :yup:

My Jeep is a JK Rubicon 2-door with 35s and 2.5" cheapo lift. I'm about to order a JL Unlimited Rubi. I rarely drive my Jeep in town but living in the Bay Area means long highway trips to the trails. My principal reason for getting a JL is to improve highway manners (my other car is a Tesla so I'm spoiled :) But I'm afraid that the much worse break-over angle of the Unlimited will make it more difficult for me on big rocks and ledges.

So I'm vascilating between going with the Mopar 2" lift with 35s and the EVO lift with 37s. Lots of things I don't understand:

How much degradation of highway manners will I experience with 37s vs 35s?

I'm not as young as I used to be :-( and putting the tire/rim onto the tire carrier is not good for my back. Looking at the specs it seems that 37s are only a few pounds heavier than 35s. Is that right?

The Mopar lift comes with new shocks, the EVO lift just uses spacers. Are the new shocks worth the extra cost? Are the stock shocks "good enough"?

The EVO lift comes with adjustable arms. That sounds nice but I have no idea how to adjust them. I can turn a wrench but how do I know what settings are "right"? If I take it to an alignment shop will they know?

With the EVO lift do 37x12.5 tires really clear at full steering lock and full spring compression? If I went with 37s and the Mopar lift how bad would the rubbing be? I don't want to sacrifice any steering angle (the Unlimited's turning circle is going to be a lot worse than what I'm used to). But I could live with a little rubbing now and then if it doesn't damage anything.

I'm not trying to make a Jeep for the Hammers or Fordyce Creek but I'm thinking that 37s would make life a bit easier on the more moderate trails (Moab Rim, Rubicon, Poison Spider, etc). But I'm curious what you intend to do in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much degradation of highway manners will I experience with 37s vs 35s?

Tire diameter won't cause degradation in road manners. The width of them "may" cause some slight behavior changes but most 35's and 37's come in a 12.50 width.

I'm not as young as I used to be :-( and putting the tire/rim onto the tire carrier is not good for my back. Looking at the specs it seems that 37s are only a few pounds heavier than 35s. Is that right?

Depends on the tire and what load range it is. A 37 with a load range C might actually be about the same weight as a 35 with a load range E.

The Mopar lift comes with new shocks, the EVO lift just uses spacers. Are the new shocks worth the extra cost? Are the stock shocks "good enough"?

If you really like the quality of your ride stock (and I know you will especially over what you have now), there really is no need to change out your shocks. If you're not planning to climb bigger obstacles where more articulation is needed, there really is no need to change out your shocks. If you decide at a later date you want more, you can always add new shocks at a later date.

The EVO lift comes with adjustable arms. That sounds nice but I have no idea how to adjust them. I can turn a wrench but how do I know what settings are "right"? If I take it to an alignment shop will they know?

There really is no need for new control arms especially if you get the EVO kit with the geometry correction drop brackets. The brackets will restore everything back to stock height. IF you plan on doing rock crawling, I would not recommend these brackets. Front lower adjustable control arms will allow you to set them so that you can restore your caster back to stock and really, that's all you need. For people like me, I intend to go bigger someday and so I'm getting all the arms in preparation for that day.

With the EVO lift do 37x12.5 tires really clear at full steering lock and full spring compression?

Lift height will not determine full lock clearance, the wheels you run and how much back spacing they have will. Full compression is limited through bump stop extensions.

If I went with 37s and the Mopar lift how bad would the rubbing be?

With 37's? It would depend on what 37 you get and what wheel you'll be mounting it on. Maybe none - maybe a ton.

I don't want to sacrifice any steering angle (the Unlimited's turning circle is going to be a lot worse than what I'm used to). But I could live with a little rubbing now and then if it doesn't damage anything.

Again, this would depend on the type of 37 you get and on what wheel you're mounting it on. Less back spacing will ensure you do not rub at a full lock (ie. 3.5" to maybe 4.5" of back spacing) but then, you may end up rubbing your fenders at a full stuff.

I'm not trying to make a Jeep for the Hammers or Fordyce Creek but I'm thinking that 37s would make life a bit easier on the more moderate trails (Moab Rim, Rubicon, Poison Spider, etc). But I'm curious what you intend to do in the future.

For the kind of trails you're wanting to run, I would do them all day long in 35's.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Depends on the tire and what load range it is. A 37 with a load range C might actually be about the same weight as a 35 with a load range E.
's.

Yup! My 37/12.50 coopers weigh LESS than my 35/12.5 mud grappler did. 74lbs for the coopers and 77lbs for the nittos

Elickzer

Anyone understand the difference between the boost and overland kits willing to share? I have had wranglers for years but my money has always gone to my motorcycles, as I approach 40 looking to less track time and more trail time. Plus the family can ride along too. Ultimately I want to add coil overs, it would seem this is were you need to start.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Anyone understand the difference between the boost and overland kits willing to share?

Not sure what you mean exactly. If your referring to suspension modifications, the term 'budget boost' is usually just a spacer that goes above or below the spring to give you more height. They're typically very cheap in price but for a lot of Jeepers, they do plenty to lift the vehicle enough to be able to fit the desired tire size.

'Overlanding' is basically camping with your Jeep. There can be whole discussions about it, but it basically is the type of camping you would do off road away from typical established campgrounds, it has nothing to do with suspension modifications.

You really need to decide what your typical use for your Jeep will be. If it's just getting off the pavement and hitting some small to moderate sized rocks once in awhile, you'll likely find that a stock JL with 33s will be all that you need.

Elickzer

Not sure what you mean exactly. If your referring to suspension modifications, the term 'budget boost' is usually just a spacer that goes above or below the spring to give you more height. They're typically very cheap in price but for a lot of Jeepers, they do plenty to lift the vehicle enough to be able to fit the desired tire size.

'Overlanding' is basically camping with your Jeep. There can be whole discussions about it, but it basically is the type of camping you would do off road away from typical established campgrounds, it has nothing to do with suspension modifications.

You really need to decide what your typical use for your Jeep will be. If it's just getting off the pavement and hitting some small to moderate sized rocks once in awhile, you'll likely find that a stock JL with 33s will be all that you need.

Offroad Evolution has two kits, one listed as boost the other as overland boost for a couple hundred more per kit stage. I was wondering what the difference is between the kits.

JTCO

Meme King
Offroad Evolution has two kits, one listed as boost the other as overland boost for a couple hundred more per kit stage. I was wondering what the difference is between the kits.

As far as Stage 1, it's the control arm drop brackets. From their website

"The difference with EVO MFG Overland Boost systems vs EVO MFG Boost
systems is the use of front control arm drop brackets. When lifting you
vehicle your control arms at ride height have a steeper angle towards
the floor which can have some negative effect/chop in ride quality.
With the use of the included Overland Control Arm drop brackets while
lifted we maintain factory flat control arm angle alleviating much of
the chop associated with lifting a Jeep giving even better and more
improved ride quality. Also in the use of Overland Drop Brackets we are
able to engineer more performance into the front suspension to improve
braking and driveline angles through suspension cycle. "

Stage 2, 3, and 4 looks like the main difference is shock extensions or not.

Elickzer

As far as Stage 1, it's the control arm drop brackets. From their website

"The difference with EVO MFG Overland Boost systems vs EVO MFG Boost
systems is the use of front control arm drop brackets. When lifting you
vehicle your control arms at ride height have a steeper angle towards
the floor which can have some negative effect/chop in ride quality.
With the use of the included Overland Control Arm drop brackets while
lifted we maintain factory flat control arm angle alleviating much of
the chop associated with lifting a Jeep giving even better and more
improved ride quality. Also in the use of Overland Drop Brackets we are
able to engineer more performance into the front suspension to improve
braking and driveline angles through suspension cycle. "

Stage 2, 3, and 4 looks like the main difference is shock extensions or not.

Doh, thank you. I am apparently illiterate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WJCO already answered it but yes, the difference is in the drop brackets. Nice to have to restore your suspension geometry back to stock but they are a hindrance if you do any rock crawling.