Rock Slider / Step Mounting Options

mdushawn

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on buying the Rock Hard 4x4™ Patriot Series Tube Slider Rocker Guards - Angled Up, https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-90104.htm 1. I like the look and they hide the pinch seam 2. Because the main use will be for a step and I like that it is continuous. 3. It doesn't require any drilling/welding and mounts to the pinch seam and body bolts. My question is about the last part as I have not seen many sliders that mount using the 3 body bolts. I would think that this would be a sturdy attachment point, but is there any thing I should watch out for? I don't like that Rock Hard doesn't publish what torque value to retighten the bolts with. Thanks in advance!

p.s. I have a JLU sport and that seam really gets to me. :mad:

Last edited:

SLO

There are definitely a few that use the body bolts. EVO, RSE, PS, etc all have that similar style that use the 3 body bolts. It’s actually a really good mount point, IMO. I have heard that you can booger up the threads if you aren’t careful removing the bolts. The recommendation is to back them out a few turns, tighten a full turn and then continue loosening them. Not sure if this really helps but I have never had any issues doing it this way. Torque is 80 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

drhcobra

I have the rock hard patriot sliders on my 2-door. They are sturdy. Take your time with the body bolts and work them back and forth and it’s not a problem. I could see breaking one if you got on with an impact and just hammered at it.
I put some 3M anti-slip tape on for some traction.

mdushawn

Solid advice about how to remove the body bolts. I will be doing it all with hand tools. I too thought about adding some sort of traction aid. 3M tape like mentioned or painting on some non skid. I know there is a company that sells ship deck paint similar to what aircraft carriers use. It's pretty rough.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

mdushawn

Finally got around to installing the rails today. The look and function ended up being exactly what I wanted. They even have an eggshell texture which isn't mentioned on the website but is nice. Only negative is that the supplied body bolts are inferior to the stock ones. I couldn't get them started with only hand tools, but is fine since I was able to reuse the stock ones. I am happy with my purchase.20190629_085241.jpeg20190629_085301.jpeg20190629_083123.jpeg

MrGiant

Cool, can you use these as steps good or are they at least usable to put one foot on these and the other one on a tire? The most use for me would be the ability to clean the windshield without a small step [emoji28]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

mdushawn

Cool, can you use these as steps good or are they at least usable to put one foot on these and the other one on a tire? The most use for me would be the ability to clean the windshield without a small step [emoji28]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
I am 6'3" so I can clean most of the windshield from the ground. Using your approach I put one foot on the front of the rail by the jeep badge and I can reach 3/4 of the window for cleaning. I also weigh 230 lbs and they are super sturdy. Allows me to clean the roof without a step stool.

MrGiant

Sounds cool, thank you for your feedback, I will have to consider these

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR