JL JOURNAL : EVO Tire Carrier Installation

RMC2

Mel should hire you to make these install videos.

As much as I love EVOs products, we all know that the instructions are lacking in detailed info.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mel should hire you to make these install videos.

As much as I love EVOs products, we all know that the instructions are lacking in detailed info.

LOL!! Most of the time, I don't even get instructions. :crazyeyes:

Thank you :)

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great video Cindy and Eddie! I must saw I had a good chuckle as I watched the box tip slowly off the table [emoji23]

CalSgt

Great tutorial as always... I too tore that bottom sticker in the exact same spot, wish I could have seen the video before my install. I wasn't going to use the taillight bracket but decided to anyway so the wires wouldn't be dangling, I am going to fab up a small bracket to move it behind the wheel in one of the open spaces.

Rampart22

Hey Eddie,
Got a question:

So I purchased the mopar upgraded hinge and tailgate with purchase of the Jeep and although I’m not especially happy with it I’m stuck with it until I can fund either the EVO like yours or go into a bumper mount solution.

Either way, the side rubber tire stabilizers are not long enough for the 37’ tires with KMC bead locks. And no, the longer ones from mopar with the kit don’t fit either. What did you install on yours. You mentioned bolting one in with an anchor. I find I’m about 1-2 inches short. Yep story of my life....

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie,
Got a question:

So I purchased the mopar upgraded hinge and tailgate with purchase of the Jeep and although I’m not especially happy with it I’m stuck with it until I can fund either the EVO like yours or go into a bumper mount solution.

Either way, the side rubber tire stabilizers are not long enough for the 37’ tires with KMC bead locks. And no, the longer ones from mopar with the kit don’t fit either. What did you install on yours. You mentioned bolting one in with an anchor. I find I’m about 1-2 inches short. Yep story of my life....

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I used these https://amzn.to/2NmWrCa

Hope that helps you out.

Blue_Meany

Bumping and old thread, but I installed the Evo Carrier. Install was somewhat easy with Eddies walkthrough. However, I noticed the hinges sit lower and now there is a gap where the hinges enter the body that would allow water to creep in. I temporarily fixed by using a rubber piece to block out the rain. My question is, did i misalign something or overtorue maybe? I didnt remember seeing this on my initial install, but after i retorqued the hinge bolts. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bumping and old thread, but I installed the Evo Carrier. Install was somewhat easy with Eddies walkthrough. However, I noticed the hinges sit lower and now there is a gap where the hinges enter the body that would allow water to creep in. I temporarily fixed by using a rubber piece to block out the rain. My question is, did i misalign something or overtorue maybe? I didnt remember seeing this on my initial install, but after i retorqued the hinge bolts. Thanks!

Are you talking about where the hinges pass through the quarter panel? If so, that sounds about right and no water will be able to get into the cab of your Jeep. Any water that may get in will just fall through the bottom. This is why there were those pieces of tape like things blocking the bolts - it's to help prevent dust from getting inside the cab.

Blue_Meany

Are you talking about where the hinges pass through the quarter panel? If so, that sounds about right and no water will be able to get into the cab of your Jeep. Any water that may get in will just fall through the bottom. This is why there were those pieces of tape like things blocking the bolts - it's to help prevent dust from getting inside the cab.

Yes. Exactly that spot. Ok. So IF water does creep in it will drain through the bottom. Good to hear. I just didn't want to have a small pond sloshin' around back there over time.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Yes, there are visible drain holes through the bottom. As long as your tape remained intact, or you replaced it with something else like Gorilla Tape you should be fine.