Sunshades with bungees can they cause damage?

mike2019

I am looking for any info:
Do the bungees on your sunshades wear, scratch, or alter the painted surfaces of your jeeps over time? New jeep coming this week and so many choices to choose from. Whats the good, the bad and the ugly of them? Not trying to cause any waves but I want my paint to last as long as possible. I have thought to buy some of that clear mask product and put it on the possible wear areas.
Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

dixonk

Looks great. Does it block a lot of sun and cool the inside well? I am hoping the rear can provide a good amount of shade and drop the heavy wind since I will have my 4 year old son in the back. Dont want him burnt or blown away, lol

It blocks quite a bit of sun. Every now and then if the angle is just right some gets through but not enough to worry about getting burnt up under it. Definitely keeps leather seats from roasting when stopped. The rear can be installed with hard top still on the Jeep. I haven’t pulled the top off yet this year since it still rains quite a bit here. As a bonus it can be left on with freedom panels in place and acts like a headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

mike2019

It blocks quite a bit of sun. Every now and then if the angle is just right some gets through but not enough to worry about getting burnt up under it. Definitely keeps leather seats from roasting when stopped. The rear can be installed with hard top still on the Jeep. I haven’t pulled the top off yet this year since it still rains quite a bit here. As a bonus it can be left on with freedom panels in place and acts like a headliner.

Thanks for the info. My top will be off the jeep asap once I recieve it. Just sold my 1991 YJ red and the top came off, soft top went on and never went back on. The hard top just sat. Soft top on every season and through the NY snowfalls, ice etc... that jeep had great heat.

MrGiant

Thanks for the info. My top will be off the jeep asap once I recieve it. Just sold my 1991 YJ red and the top came off, soft top went on and never went back on. The hard top just sat. Soft top on every season and through the NY snowfalls, ice etc... that jeep had great heat.

Oh yeah, a can confirm that! The same with my YJ and it's tops, hard top just sitting around. Thats why I ordered the JL without HT. My dealer couldnt believe that and asked a couple of times to be sure, here everyone seems to need HTs, I dunno why

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

dixonk

If I have one regret about buying my Jeep it’s that I bought it with the hard top. Taking it off is easy enough but it’s just so damn big I don’t have a place to put it. I am getting rid of a car next week which will free up a space. Need to get me a hoist put in I guess. Still would be much easier with a soft top to switch back and forth.