Build or buy?

So, while I not-so-patiently wait and save money, I'm constantly weighing and rethinking what my order sheet and build list will look like. At the moment, I'm just curious what your thoughts are on one of my biggest debates.

How good are the oem Rubicon axles? Is the new generation electronic swaybar disconnect good? Are the e-lockers worth it?

I'm trying to balance financing about 8k more for a Rubicon built my way versus buying a Sport and using the extra funds to get something like Dynatrac's Trail Leader package with ARB air lockers and some JKS quick disconnects.

TLDR: finance a Rubicon to get the good stuff up front or custom build a Sport with handpicked aftermarket parts?

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, while I not-so-patiently wait and save money, I'm constantly weighing and rethinking what my order sheet and build list will look like. At the moment, I'm just curious what your thoughts are on one of my biggest debates.

How good are the oem Rubicon axles? Is the new generation electronic swaybar disconnect good? Are the e-lockers worth it?

I'm trying to balance financing about 8k more for a Rubicon built my way versus buying a Sport and using the extra funds to get something like Dynatrac's Trail Leader package with ARB air lockers and some JKS quick disconnects.

TLDR: finance a Rubicon to get the good stuff up front or custom build a Sport with handpicked aftermarket parts?

That's a tough one especially being that I think it's way too soon to say how the new JL Rubicon parts will hold up long term. At the moment, everything seems to being doing well for us even with 37's but then, that could all change before the year's up. Assuming they do hold up, a Rubicon is what I would get if only because you can get it with the sway bar disco and 4:1 transfer case.

TrailHunter

I went through the same thing with my JK and chose the Rubi... So Glad I did!!! Unless I had $20k cash lying around to build, I would buy a Rubi again. And being that the JL Rubi is improved in so many areas, to me it’s a no brainer.... Go Rubi, throw a few minor mods at it and start wheelin.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

DEFCON1

I went through the same thing with my JK and chose the Rubi... So Glad I did!!! Unless I had $20k cash lying around to build, I would buy a Rubi again. And being that the JL Rubi is improved in so many areas, to me it’s a no brainer.... Go Rubi, throw a few minor mods at it and start wheelin.

The wife and I are in that same position right now. In 2011 I was running 40's out on the East Coast. She wants to run 40's right out of the door, but that's easy $30-40k to run them reliably and safely. In this case it almost makes more sense to go with the sport over the Rubi.

TrailHunter

The wife and I are in that same position right now. In 2011 I was running 40's out on the East Coast. She wants to run 40's right out of the door, but that's easy $30-40k to run them reliably and safely. In this case it almost makes more sense to go with the sport over the Rubi.

I don’t think OP is going that route out the gate.... but yes, that would make more sense in that scenario.

I don’t think OP is going that route out the gate.... but yes, that would make more sense in that scenario.
My intention is certainly to work up to at least 37's, if not more, on a good long-arm lift as soon as possible. I fully intend to wheel in a manner that would make the Jeep gods proud and that may require a change of underwear (and spare parts).

How soon kind of depends on how my new job pays out, but the probable potential looks very promising in the near future.

My intention is certainly to work up to at least 37's, if not more, on a good long-arm lift as soon as possible. I fully intend to wheel in a manner that would make the Jeep gods proud and that may require a change of underwear (and spare parts).

How soon kind of depends on how my new job pays out, but the probable potential looks very promising in the near future.

Sweet. That sounds awesome!

Throw my vote towards a rubicon. Can’t buy as much underwear right away, but the leather seats are forgiving [emoji16]

Sweet. That sounds awesome!

Throw my vote towards a rubicon. Can’t buy as much underwear right away, but the leather seats are forgiving [emoji16]

I wish there was a thumbs-up button for posts , lol. I wasn't gonna opt for leather, but I might with that thought 🤣 ...at the very least I need to add good seat covers to my build list

TrailHunter

I guess it all comes down to the dollar figure.... Eddie’s lead is a good one to follow though... But if you have 20k+ to drop on axles and such, then the sport might be your ticket. [emoji1360]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say is that I've done it both ways. Back in 2007, I got a fully loaded JKUR. In 2009, I got another JKU but in an X (Sport) thinking that I'd build it up. By the time 2012 came along, I sold the 2009 JKUX and got another Rubicon. No matter how I looked at it, starting off with a Rubicon was still the better way to go.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
All I can say is that I've done it both ways. Back in 2007, I got a fully loaded JKUR. In 2009, I got another JKU but in an X (Sport) thinking that I'd build it up. By the time 2012 came along, I sold the 2009 JKUX and got another Rubicon. No matter how I looked at it, starting off with a Rubicon was still the better way to go.

Yup. Having a sport and upgraded everything I would buy a Rubicon.