BooBoo from the Bumper Bumping into the Body

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From day one, our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited came with an optional rear steel bumper that sat kind of cockeyed and right from the factory. Essentially, the driver side of the bumper sat lower than the passenger side. While I had been meaning to fix this before heading out to Moab, I ran out of time and didn't give it a second thought. Unfortunately, while we were out on our very first run out in Moab, I ended up dragging the passenger side rear corner of our bumper on an obstacle and quickly found that this caused enough movement for the bumper to make contact with the body. Here's a shot of the bumper.
20180331180421-b1148bf5-me.jpg

And here's a shot of where the bumper had moved high enough to make contact with the quarter panel.
20180331180418-f2602726-me.jpg

While the nick in the paint is minor, so what the dragging that caused it. For sure, part of this was caused by the nice body mounts allowing for a lot of movement but the rest was definitely caused by the bumper moving too. Certainly, the bumper was sitting significantly more cockeyed after the obstacle.

Fortunately, I was able to straighten out the bumper simply by loosening up the mounting nuts, re-positioning things and then tightening everything up again. I should note that the nuts weren't anywhere as tight as I would have thought they should be and part of what happened most likely came from that. Needless to say, if you got your JL Wrangler Rubicon with the optional steel bumper, I would definitely give these nuts a check. That being said, I can't say I'm 100% convinced that the bumper wouldn't still bump into the body of our JL with a big enough hit and give it a booboo like this or worse, even with nuts on super tight.

Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there for those of you who have the optional steel Rubicon bumpers.

Taxman

After having seen and used the steel bumpers and apparently tightening its nuts, do you think the steel bumpers are worth the $1300 asking price? I didn't add the steel bumper option to my build and for many people it won't be their choice since most folks will buy whatever is on the dealer lot, whether it has the steel bumpers or not. However, for those that are ordering their custom Jeeps now, do you think it's worth it? Im looking at the cost of aftermarket bumpers and a good set of front and rear steel bumpers probably won't be too much more than $1300.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After having seen and used the steel bumpers and apparently tightening its nuts, do you think the steel bumpers are worth the $1300 asking price? I didn't add the steel bumper option to my build and for many people it won't be their choice since most folks will buy whatever is on the dealer lot, whether it has the steel bumpers or not. However, for those that are ordering their custom Jeeps now, do you think it's worth it? Im looking at the cost of aftermarket bumpers and a good set of front and rear steel bumpers probably won't be too much more than $1300.

Honestly, I LOVE the look of the factor steel front bumper but... I'm far from thrilled about the rear bumper. In hindsight, I don't know if I would have opted for this option especially being that there will be a TON of great looking aftermarket bumpers available and soon.

BillArnett

I opted for the plastic bumper with the intention of getting after market ones as soon as good ones are available. Unlike Eddie, I hate the look of the factory steel bumpers. So for me it was an easy choice.

Note that with the factory steel bumpers in addition to the $1300 you’ll have to pay for a winch plate, too.

JAGS

This really sucks. How would anyone have known their nuts were loose. [emoji15]

I don’t have the steel bumper option and am actually awaiting all the aftermarket options to start rolling out.

That said, this will be valuable for everyone who did opt for the factory steel bumpers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This really sucks. How would anyone have known their nuts were loose. [emoji15]

I don’t have the steel bumper option and am actually awaiting all the aftermarket options to start rolling out.

That said, this will be valuable for everyone who did opt for the factory steel bumpers.

I'll tell you, it wouldn't surprise me if the same problem could happen with the plastic bumper too. But then, it's just plastic and will most likely just collapse or buckle like the ones on the JK.

I really like the factory front bumper. Rear, not so much. That sucks it damaged the body though.

What sucks is that I was going to remove the rear bumper before heading out to Moab but then, thought maybe I should leave it on to help protect the body. :rolleyes2:

JAGS

I'll tell you, it wouldn't surprise me if the same problem could happen with the plastic bumper too. But then, it's just plastic and will most likely just collapse or buckle like the ones on the JK.

What sucks is that I was going to remove the rear bumper before heading out to Moab but then, thought maybe I should leave it on to help protect the body. :rolleyes2:

When might you be putting out a torque spec sheet for the JL? That’s been super handy for my JK.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When might you be putting out a torque spec sheet for the JL? That’s been super handy for my JK.

LOL!! Funny you should ask. I'm working on it now but it's a TON of information to put together. I hope to have it up soon.

JAGS

LOL!! Funny you should ask. I'm working on it now but it's a TON of information to put together. I hope to have it up soon.

Oh yeah, no small task if anything like the JK one. Super cool it is already in works...and not all that surprised you’d have it in the queue. [emoji41][emoji106]