37’s question...

Camcam329

Just bought my first Jeep and obviously I want to do a lift and put bigger wheels on it. I would love to throw some 37’s on there but my question is do I have to upgrade anything else to run them? Like the axles for example...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a bit too soon for anyone to say with any authority as to what all is needed to run 37's if anything other than a lift. We're doing it now on our JL and on stock axles, drive shafts and gears and so far, everything is holding up and doing well. Give me a bit of time and I'll let you know if that remains true.

hardscaper

hey y'all, I'm new here also. So new I don't even have my new JL yet! I have looked at all the youtube vids I could find. I'm not planning on doing any extreme off-roading with mine just beach rides and the odd dirt road. I'm hoping I can do the Mopar 2" lift with some spacers? and hopefully use the factory rims with 37" tires ?????
I am waiting for a 2-Door Rubicon. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Mike

Anthimus

I think it's a bit too soon for anyone to say with any authority as to what all is needed to run 37's if anything other than a lift. We're doing it now on our JL and on stock axles, drive shafts and gears and so far, everything is holding up and doing well. Give me a bit of time and I'll let you know if that remains true.

That'd be great! I've been going back and forth between 35s and 37s. This is my first Jeep (Or it will be when it arrives O_O), so I'm a bit apprehensive to do anything that'd void the warranty. My dealer is on board with either tire size, but if I re-gear they won't warranty it.

hey y'all, I'm new here also. So new I don't even have my new JL yet! I have looked at all the youtube vids I could find. I'm not planning on doing any extreme off-roading with mine just beach rides and the odd dirt road. I'm hoping I can do the Mopar 2" lift with some spacers? and hopefully use the factory rims with 37" tires ?????
I am waiting for a 2-Door Rubicon. Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Mike

I just added the mopar 2” with Cooper STT 37”x12.5s and rubicon stock wheels. I ordered a 2” backspace that I haven’t installed yet. Works fine except for parking lot turning radii (rubs the upper control arm). Once I add spacers (hopefully this weekend), I’ll let you know how it works. If it survives the around town test, I’ll start with some moderate off-Roading.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

hardscaper

I just added the mopar 2” with Cooper STT 37”x12.5s and rubicon stock wheels. I ordered a 2” backspace that I haven’t installed yet. Works fine except for parking lot turning radii (rubs the upper control arm). Once I add spacers (hopefully this weekend), I’ll let you know how it works. If it survives the around town test, I’ll start with some moderate off-Roading.

Thx for the reply, looking forward to hear how your spacers work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx
Mike

For your purposes, I'm sure it can be done but you will need to modify the rear fender liner to help prevent rubbing. You will also want to run 1.75" wheel spacers to make it work.

That'd be great! I've been going back and forth between 35s and 37s. This is my first Jeep (Or it will be when it arrives O_O), so I'm a bit apprehensive to do anything that'd void the warranty. My dealer is on board with either tire size, but if I re-gear they won't warranty it.

Warranties are an elusive thing and really, something that's all in the hands of your dealership. I would highly recommend that you get regular oil changes at your dealership as they are cheap and that will make you a valued repeat customer. Doing this will help ensure they will do what they can to assist you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx for the reply, looking forward to hear how your spacers work.

Spacer are great and they will help address rubbing issues but they can also create some. Being that they will reduce your back spacing, your tires will be pushed further out and that can cause your tires to rub the edge of the fender at a full flex. Also, being so much further out will effect scrub radius and put more wear and tear on your ball joints and unit bearings. Not really a big deal but something you should be aware of.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just installed 1 3/4” spacers. Definitely corrected the rubbing with plenty of room to spare.

We’ll see how it does flexing on rocks—I’m going to try to get away this week.

Awesome! Can you post up some pics of what your JL looks like now? Would love to see how they changed your stance.

Awesome! Can you post up some pics of what your JL looks like now? Would love to see how they changed your stance.

Here is what it looked like from the rear with no spacers:

IMG_0029.jpg

Unfortunately the angle of the after pic is off so it makes it appear there is no difference. But without spacers the tire was flush with the outer edge.

IMG_0030.jpg

The front:

IMG_0032.jpgIMG_0031.jpg

From behind front fender flare:

IMG_0034.jpg

I suspect you’re correct, Eddie. It looks like with full flex the flare will join #metoo.

unaseer

I've got a 2.5" spacer lift with 37s. Mine is a 6 speed manual. I feel like the gears are more usable with the heavier, bigger tires. 20180410_082043.jpg20180408_162004.jpg