Is the "Magic 100" still magic?

Last time I had a Jeep, it seemed like most Jeepers considered the "perfect" wheelbase to be 100". I was set on ordering a 4dr this time around, for the extra wheelbase. But when I looked at the 2dr specs, I noticed the JL 2dr wheelbase is already 96.8". That means it would only take a a few inches in a suspension stretch to attain that old number so many sought after. Is that number still relevant? Or am I just better off getting the 4dr anyway?

And as a secondary question: I know there are quite a few differences in dimensions and design between the JK and JL. How hard would it be, at least in theory, to accomplish an extra 3-5 inches of wheelbase using a suspension stretch? If it makes any difference, I was already planning on running a comlete long-arm lift and at least 37's.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That 100 number is pretty outdated info and really, based on what was available at the time. From experience, a 4-door on 37's is a superior platform. If you're wanting a 2-door, stretching will help get you to where you want to be but for the money, a 4-door is still a better buy or at least in my opinion. Also, you won't find too much support for stretching a JL for quite a while.

BillArnett

Interesting comment, Eddie. Can you expand a bit on why you like the Unlimited better? My current JK is a 2-door. I've got a JLUR on order but I've been worrying that the severely reduced breakover angle will make some things considerably harder. I'm hoping the longer wheelbase will be a help in other cases to compensate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting comment, Eddie. Can you expand a bit on why you like the Unlimited better? My current JK is a 2-door. I've got a JLUR on order but I've been worrying that the severely reduced breakover angle will make some things considerably harder. I'm hoping the longer wheelbase will be a help in other cases to compensate.

Having owned and wheeled both a 2-door and a 4-door JK, what I can tell you is that the 4-door will out perform a 2-door any day of the week. The longer wheel base has always proven itself to be an advantage and I can't think of a single obstacle I've taken on where I wish I were in a 2-door. You will find yourself wheeling a bit differently but that's about it. Of course, this is not to say that I don't like 2-doors and really, all this is just my opinion.

NFRs2000NYC

From my limited experience, I find that the breakover angle advantage is a situation SO RARE, it should almost not be a consideration when compared to all the other advantages of a longer wheelbase. The breakover angle is basically the only advantage of a short wheelbase, but even if you watch Eddie's video's, you will see how much more often the longer wheelbase comes into play, especially when climbing ledges.

BillArnett

The other big drawback of long wheelbase is turning circle. The 2-door can make a much tighter turn. That will matter on switchbacks (Black Bear Pass) and places where the big rocks require turns in mid-obstacle.

The other big drawback of long wheelbase is turning circle. The 2-door can make a much tighter turn. That will matter on switchbacks (Black Bear Pass) and places where the big rocks require turns in mid-obstacle.

Had my JL a week now, this thing does tight turns so easy by comparison to my JK! Much smaller diameter & less work.

JAGS

Had my JL a week now, this thing does tight turns so easy by comparison to my JK! Much smaller diameter & less work.

No kidding right. I’m curious to see how much that changes with different wheels and bigger tires.

But the turning/handling on corners is crazy good. It’s like a sports car compared to my JK. Lol.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I’ve seen a Dodge pickup on Black Bear Pass. Yeah, a 2 door can turn tighter, but it’s no Willy’s CJ, when it comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

No kidding right. I’m curious to see how much that changes with different wheels and bigger tires.

But the turning/handling on corners is crazy good. It’s like a sports car compared to my JK. Lol.

Interesting that you say that (as have others). The specs say the turning circles of the JKU and JLU are identical: 40.8 feet.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a 2 door jk now but when I get a JL it will be a 4 door. Wish I knew what I know now when I got my 2 door cause if so it would be a 4 door instead. Live and learn

13_gecko_rubi

Interesting that you say that (as have others). The specs say the turning circles of the JKU and JLU are identical: 40.8 feet.
Hmmm. I'll have to check those. The jlu definitely turns better. If the turning circle is same I'd be amazed. Ive run several times now stock jku and stock jlu. The jku it's doing 3 points and jlu makes the turn.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I double checked and a bone stock JK Unlimited running 225/75R16 tires measures 73.9" wide and has an advertised curb to curb turning radius of 41.20'. It's close but the JL Unlimited turns tighter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. I'll have to check those. The jlu definitely turns better. If the turning circle is same I'd be amazed. Ive run several times now stock jku and stock jlu. The jku it's doing 3 points and jlu makes the turn.

Sent via....

Seen it and felt it all week in Moab. The JLU definitely seems to have tighter turning.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For sure! Enjoy rest of your trip. Get to sit in airports for 10 hours today, joy

Sent via....

Actually, right after our run, we went to dinner with everyone and then headed for home at about 11pm. Drove all night while taking 10-15 minute naps every 100 miles or so and got to Carson City around 2pm yesterday. :crazyeyes:

Enjoy the scenic views from airports you'll be sitting in today :icon_crazy: