JLU Owners: Thrumming/Vibration 64-68mph?

ambrose

For those who have one, have you noticed a regular thrum noise between 64-68mph? It's basically in time with a second count. Very low pitched. It doesn't start until 63-4mph and seems to go away around 68mph.

Any ideas what it might be?

WWRuby_Svi

No idea, that’s an abnormal speed for me... either 60 on the highway or 75 interstate.

With that said, maybe exhaust or tires?
A quick check would be crawling under the Jeep to make sure nothing is rubbing on moving parts.

Do you have the alpine radio? This might be something I can not hear if the new active noise cancelling is actually doing something.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ambrose

I do have the Alpine. I don't generally hang out at those speeds, but I've noticed passing thru.

Skippy

Ive often found myself hearing a different tune or tone to my exhaust. I wonder if these have a valve somewhere in the exhaust tubing. I haven't looked at much of the front underneath of the Jeep yet but have from the axle back in the rear and didn't see anything of note for the exhaust. Now I am curious and will look at the front piping this weekend and see what I can find.

ambrose

Finally took this into the dealer. They had it for two full days. They tried swapping on some Sahara tires, rebalancing my tires, driving it "in the air" on a lift to isolate the noise. (Yes, they could hear/feel it, too.) They also drove some other JLs on the lot, and they report that other JLs have the same sound, only less noticeable than mine. In the end, they conclude that it is just the way the JLs are and there's nothing functionally wrong with it. It just "does that."

Do we have any recourse? This seems like a design flaw of some sort, like I heard about the jiggly hoods on the JKs, for instance. It's just really odd that it's only in that window from about 63-67mph that you notice it.

Is "Jeep Cares" on here?