Hood vents

tobyw

I would agree with that, I don't see any exit points for water in the underhood liner so I'm guessing they are eye candy only.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m sure that you could easily make them “functional” vents like others and myself did with the rubicon hoods on the jk
IMG_8356.jpg

DEFCON1

The stock hood vents on are purely decorative. The Nacho JEEP shown in the video below is rocking a prototype hood that does provide ventilation for heat dispersion. The gentleman in the video projects that it will become available through MOPAR parts.

https://youtu.be/R_Nf068jk-8

Last edited:

JAGS

Nothing in that vid says the JL rubicon hood vents are non-functional.

I have not removed the fire suppression mat, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the only thing between the engine and the hood.

RMC2

I will be checking this out when mine finally arrives. I opened up the vents on my JK hood.

BillArnett

Of course, even if they are purely decorative the question remains whether there is a heat problem in the first place. IIRC, Eddie’s video of his very first outing with his JL showed the fan running pretty hard at unexpected times. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If not, maybe this is all a moot point.

Rhinebeck01

Both vents on the 2018 Rubicon JL/JLU are indeed functional.

The side vents are open and have little to no air flow restriction.

The hood vent is also open and fully functional. It opens to a little catch tray that is fashioned in such a way that water will channel / flow thru to the backside of the hood. Yes, the water has to flow through the hood vent and then it seeps through that hood insulation, into the channel passage way and to the backside of the hood. And yes, the hood insulation does impair air flow a bit thru the hood vent but again, that hood vent is functional.

Maxfly

AYear ago this thread was started. Just curious, has anyone seen problems with under hood heat build up in their JL. If so, how have you remedied it?

Coach2k

I just opened mi e up. It was really easy. Onlt took about 30 minutes to do. There is a video on YouTube, but I did my JK too and this was much easier. The engine bay is considered by Jeep to be a "wet zone" so the little bit of water that may get in is no big deal. I didn't have a problem before in the 5 years I had my JK. IMG_1833.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just opened mi e up. It was really easy. Onlt took about 30 minutes to do. There is a video on YouTube, but I did my JK too and this was much easier. The engine bay is considered by Jeep to be a "wet zone" so the little bit of water that may get in is no big deal. I didn't have a problem before in the 5 years I had my JK. View attachment 14935

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the ticket! I want to do the same, what about water leaking in on top of the battery or something? Hows the positioning in relation to sensitive components.