Wheel centerbore

BillArnett

When buying after-market wheels is it OK to get ones with larger centerbores and just let them run lug-centric? If so, it is necessary to get adapter rings? It would obviously be better to have exactly the right bore diameter but it seems that that severely restricts one’s choices of wheels.

Onlyone

When buying after-market wheels is it OK to get ones with larger centerbores and just let them run lug-centric? If so, it is necessary to get adapter rings? It would obviously be better to have exactly the right bore diameter but it seems that that severely restricts one’s choices of wheels.

Centering rings are just that. They center the wheel on the hub just as the original hub centric wheel would. This is good because it helps with any vibrations there might have been without them. The hubs don’t really hold any vehicle weight but might help the lugs with impact forces. All of your clamping forces come from friction between the wheel and mounting surface, properly torqued on the lugs.

I have run them before and while I prefer hubcentric I have never had any problems getting them centered. Basically if you don’t use centering rings you will have to tighten it by hand slowly and evenly. Also, new wheels will be pretty easy to center. My advice is to just use the rings. Most wheel places will include them with the kits if you ask.

Last edited:

Skippy

Centering rings are just that. They center the wheel on the hub just as the original hub centric wheel would. This is good because it helps with any vibrations there might have been without them. The hubs don’t really hold any vehicle weight but might help the lugs with impact forces. All of your clamping forces come from friction between the wheel and mounting surface, properly torqued on the lugs.

I have run them before and while I prefer hubcentric I have never had any problems getting them centered. Basically if you don’t use centering rings you will have to tighten it by hand slowly and evenly. Also, new wheels will be pretty easy to center. My advice is to just use the rings. Most wheel places will include them with the kits if you ask.

I agree with all of that completely. I typically try to find the hug centric wheel but they are definitely more expensive if you can find them. There are many rings and adapters you can get if you find the wheels you want. Also, as mentioned a lot of places do include them. https://www.customwheeloffset.com/store (if this isnt allowed please feel free to delete) is a great place and has decent customer service. Shipping is pretty quick and they are always able and willing to answer any and all questions. I think when I was getting wheels for my bronco (shameless plug) i must have emailed them over a dozen times trying to get it right.

2nd.gunman

Go hubcentric or use rings. While the hub doesn’t support the weight of the vehicle when the lugs are torqued, if you have a wheel come loose the weight will drop onto the hub and you’ll be much less likely to snap a stud or loose a wheel.

Over here it’s actually illegal not to use the rings for that reason

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app