C vs E Load Rating

texasbryan

Hey guys,

How much stock should I place in the load rating of a tire? I am looking to go up to 35’s on my JLUR. Based on comfort, I would prefer a C load rating.

However, as you guys probably know, it’s tough to find a 35” tire with a C rating.

I am looking at getting some Nitto Ridge Grapplers in LT295/70R18, which have an E rating. These are about 34.3” in diameter and 11.77” wide. Or I could go 35X12.5R18. These are slightly bigger and heavier but have an F rating.

This is not a daily driver for me but at the same time I won’t be doing any high difficulty off-roading. More on the mild to moderate side.

Thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A load range C tire will be more comfortable especially at a higher psi. If you're dead set on getting those tires, just run them at a lower psi - maybe 26 or so. That'll help make them more comfortable. That being said, your TPMS light will be on.

texasbryan

A load range C tire will be more comfortable especially at a higher psi. If you're dead set on getting those tires, just run them at a lower psi - maybe 26 or so. That'll help make them more comfortable. That being said, your TPMS light will be on.
Thanks Eddie. Yes, I ran 35” G2’s on my JKU at 28 psi and thought it was fine. I flashed the computer to prevent the light from coming on. They also had an E load rating, but they were already on the Jeep when I bought it. Now that I can pick whatever I want, I want to make sure I get what I feel would be best for my use.

Are you aware of any good 35’s with a C load rating?

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. Yes, I ran 35” G2’s on my JKU at 28 psi and thought it was fine. I flashed the computer to prevent the light from coming on. They also had an E load rating, but they were already on the Jeep when I bought it. Now that I can pick whatever I want, I want to make sure I get what I feel would be best for my use.

Are you aware of any good 35’s with a C load rating?

Thanks!

I am sorry but I don't. Pretty much every tire I've run in a 35 has been a load range E.

Onlyone

No worries, I think 35’s in a C might be a unicorn. Oh well, I think I can live with an E rating. Just wanted to do my homework first.
The only 35 C that I know of would be a 315/70/17 that they sell for the Ford Raptor. It’s a BFG KO2. I don’t know much about them unfortunately.

aug0211

Agreed, I’ve been searching and it’s almost impossible to find. Unless you can go to a 15” wheel, which of course is not good on a wrangler (brakes).

The KO2s are all I’ve found, and those are on 17s.

There are some options in D load if you switch to 315 instead of 35.

:-/

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

1quick1

The only 35 C that I know of would be a 315/70/17 that they sell for the Ford Raptor. It’s a BFG KO2. I don’t know much about them unfortunately.

This is going to be your best bet and almost nobody seems to have them in stock and if they do they are probably load E.

With that said I wanted the load C's but ended up in E's. Honestly, the JL rides nice that the ride isn't that bad. They seem to go down to about 30psi cold and warm up to 35psi. I haven't had enough time to decide if I will lower them or not.

13_gecko_rubi

This is going to be your best bet and almost nobody seems to have them in stock and if they do they are probably load E.

With that said I wanted the load C's but ended up in E's. Honestly, the JL rides nice that the ride isn't that bad. They seem to go down to about 30psi cold and warm up to 35psi. I haven't had enough time to decide if I will lower them or not.

The raptor spec KO2s are hard to find but they work great compared to the same tire in an E on a light Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Aware. They can be had just usually just order them. Don't typically expect to pop into Discount Tire and walk out with them. Really my point was to watch out for misinformed that would just as well sell you the E's without blinking an eye.
Ah. Yes very true!

Sent via....

wanderer

Side wall protection

Does the e offer better side wall protection ? Is the c sidewall thicker than other. C sidewalls on the bfg ko2 for the raptor because of its intended off road use?I had the e sidewalls on my cooper atp on my jku ruby but didn’t notice much difference probably because I went from a mud tire to a alll terrain.

13_gecko_rubi

Does the e offer better side wall protection ? Is the c sidewall thicker than other. C sidewalls on the bfg ko2 for the raptor because of its intended off road use?I had the e sidewalls on my cooper atp on my jku ruby but didn’t notice much difference probably because I went from a mud tire to a alll terrain.
An e rated tire typically will have a stronger sidewall as it needs to support more load, that's what makes it e. Back in bias ply days they actually had more sidewall plys. Many manufacturers / websites still call out the 6 ply, 8 ply, 10 ply etc but on a radial it is the x ply "equivalent". Radials don't actually have as many plys as bias did for the same load rating. Some reputable companies will tell you how many plys their radoals have. If u can find a c in the size you want to that route. An e rated tire on a light jeep makes it ride like shit even with the pressure low. I used to run my Toyo Es at 20 psi just to get a little give. C or even d is much better on a jeep. Just hard to find Cs in 35s and 37s.

Sent via....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
An e rated tire typically will have a stronger sidewall as it needs to support more load, that's what makes it e. Back in bias ply days they actually had more sidewall plys. Many manufacturers / websites still call out the 6 ply, 8 ply, 10 ply etc but on a radial it is the x ply "equivalent". Radials don't actually have as many plys as bias did for the same load rating. Some reputable companies will tell you how many plys their radoals have. If u can find a c in the size you want to that route. An e rated tire on a light jeep makes it ride like shit even with the pressure low. I used to run my Toyo Es at 20 psi just to get a little give. C or even d is much better on a jeep. Just hard to find Cs in 35s and 37s.

Sent via....

^^^^This. I had e rated 33’s on a 2 door JK. I ran them at 20 psi in a winter storm, and you could hardly tell I had aired down.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app