$750 price increase on 1 Mar 18

RMC2

If you don't have your Jeep at least ordered, it just went up $750, yesterday 1 Mar 18. $500 base price and another $250 delivery charge. And it can be charged on un-shipped Jeeps (but it seems like they will honor the price on what is ordered).

I was ready to order this week, and just working on the trade in amount. I am not near the dealer, so having to work via email. I had the price all set up for the new one. My great deal just dropped.

I am pissed off enough to say screw it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that really sucks. Is this just what your dealership is telling you or was there some kind of announcement made about it?

Tellico

I saw the same numbers at a dealer in Georgia yesterday. I noticed it immediately as I had been researching for weeks and knew way too much about the numbers :crazyeyes: Dealers don't always appreciate that. I wasn't able to get a deal worked out yesterday, but hopefully getting an order placed soon. :rock:

P.S. we had been planning all week to take my wife's car to the dealer on Friday to value it as a trade in.... Friday morning she hits the side of the house on the way out of the garage and tanks the rear bumper and quarter panel on her Sorento. :icon_crazy: That little issue, coupled with the unexpected $750 price increase, threw off my math enough that we couldn't get to my sweet spot for a payment. Time to step back and punt!

As of 2/3, the vehicle builder on Jeep's website still shows $40,495 base price for Rubicon Unlimited and $1,195 destination charge if that helps anyone with some leverage. I experienced the additional $500 and $250 respectfully on 3/2 as well.

INDYCARSuperFan

While this most definitely sucks, and with the latest announcements in the news about the potential cost of steel and aluminum going up, keep in mind it may only get worse for all pending vehicle purchases.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the $750 price increase may not seem that much compared to the 2-3x as much depreciation hit that can possibly be made as soon as a different vehicle drives of the lot.

While the cost of a Wrangler is extremely high for what it is (in my opinion), there’s no denying that they retain a significant amount of their purchase price for several years. Something to still consider. Where I live in the northeast US, they retain 90% of their purchase price for at least 2-3 years. I know many Wrangler owners that trade up to newer models barely losing any money at all.

At the end of the day though, the price increase sucks no matter how you look at it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I bought my fully loaded JK Rubicon Unlimited for $29k back in 2007. The JL is literally a $20k hike up from that. It all sucks but, what are ya gonna do.

13_gecko_rubi

If you ordered one before 3/1 your price is locked in. There is a code they enter to revert it back. Anything shipped 3/1 or after (dealer stock) or ordered 3/1 or after will be higher.

Sent via....

RMC2

I came across this info last night from other people. My dealer confirmed this morning and she said they didn’t know it was coming either. She was also pissed because she was about ready to order one for herself. I could tell she wasn’t happy. Sounded like a number of other clients also got caught by surprise.

They are giving me a really good deal on the new one. Not so great yet on the trade. I may let it go to Carvana. They were higher. Gonna check Carmax after I retrieve my stock hood and bumpers. So I have options there. She was gonna see if the GM could come up some more.

Last edited:

RMC2

IMG_1142.jpg

I borrowed this screen shot.

The double tap increase really hurts. We were all set except for the trade in value.

13_gecko_rubi

I came across this info last night from other people. My dealer confirmed this morning and she said they didn’t know it was coming either. She was also pissed because she was about ready to order one for herself. I could tell she wasn’t happy. Sounded like a number of other clients also got caught by surprise.

They are giving me a really good deal on the new one. Not so great yet on the trade. I may let it go to Carvana. They were higher. Gonna check Carmax after I retrieve my stock hood and bumpers. So I have options there. She was gonna see if the GM could come up some more.
Dealers never know when pricing changes are coming. Your other choice is find one on lot. Those dont go up

Sent via....

JLU_RUBI

If you ordered one before 3/1 your price is locked in. There is a code they enter to revert it back. Anything shipped 3/1 or after (dealer stock) or ordered 3/1 or after will be higher.

Sent via....

So I placed my order Friday with my dealer but he told me they wouldn't be placing their order with Jeep until Monday. the higher base price was in there nut I wonder what they're going to say about the $250 extra delivery now. This is some serious BS.

RMC2

Dealers never know when pricing changes are coming. Your other choice is find one on lot. Those dont go up

Sent via....

When I got my 13, I ended going with what was on the lot. They had some for the lower price and higher price. I think there were three different pricing levels that model year. Just didn't like the surprise this time.

This time, I can't get what I want without ordering. Even for several thousand more, none of the jeeps around have all of what I want. Finally got word on my trade. Somewhat loaded 13 JKUR, 47000 miles in great shape (other than my misterious transmission issue - which isn't visible and they don't know about either).
$27000 with soft top, 27500 with hard top, and 28000 with both tops. Not great, but not terrible. Carvana said 28-29 with any top. I figure they find reasons not to pay the full quote though when they come to pick it up. Will try Carmax and a few others. And there is always trying to sell it.

13_gecko_rubi

When I got my 13, I ended going with what was on the lot. They had some for the lower price and higher price. I think there were three different pricing levels that model year. Just didn't like the surprise this time.

This time, I can't get what I want without ordering. Even for several thousand more, none of the jeeps around have all of what I want. Finally got word on my trade. Somewhat loaded 13 JKUR, 47000 miles in great shape (other than my misterious transmission issue - which isn't visible and they don't know about either).
$27000 with soft top, 27500 with hard top, and 28000 with both tops. Not great, but not terrible. Carvana said 28-29 with any top. I figure they find reasons not to pay the full quote though when they come to pick it up. Will try Carmax and a few others. And there is always trying to sell it.
That's what other similar jeeps are fetching for trade in this area too. So either need to sell yourself or that's what about what you'd expect to get unfortunately.

Sent via....

RMC2

That's what other similar jeeps are fetching for trade in this area too. So either need to sell yourself or that's what about what you'd expect to get unfortunately.

Sent via....

Good to hear. I guess I will have time to work on it, before the Jeep arrives anyway.

I will sell the hardtop and 10A hood separately. I am not getting anything for the hood. Or the bumpers, so they are returning to stock. I doubt I can get much for the bumpers though. I have another brand new soft top to add to the pile. And some little things. Heated Trucklights/Rigids. That will add some to the coffers. The quote was for 50k miles, so some room there for waiting.

IMG_1047.jpg

JAGS

Sent via....

Good post since I'll be picking mine up Monday.