Protect your hinges.....for less than $35

NFRs2000NYC

Figured I'd throw up a quick recommendations for those wanting to keep their hinges looking pristine, but not wanting to do any form or painting or bedlining that will change the look of your shiny new JL.

Pick up a roll of this paint protection tape, and carefully cut pieces and apply it to your hinges. I've used the 3M stuff as well, and it seems the 3M stuff is thinner, and didnt seem to protect as well.

http://amzn.to/2CSBo3K

I used this stuff on motorcycle gas tanks (the wider version) to protect from belt buckle damage and it worked great. To apply...

1) Clean surface with alcohol
2) Cut piece to fit
3) Coat piece into mildly soapy water (will allow you to move the piece and position it just right)
4) You can wrap the entire hinge and then using an exacto knife cut along the line, or you can protect each half individually
5) Using a small piece of plastic like a credit card like material, work out as much water as you can, blotting with a paper towel at the edges to help suck water out
6) You can use a heat gun on a gentle setting to help it grab hold of the hinge.

If done right, it will be completely invisible to the naked eye, and you will be safe from any kind of chips. The key is to make sure the edges are nice and bonded so that you dont get water/moisture underneath the film.

Happy wheelin!

*EDIT* Apparently 3M now makes a thicker product than their usual stuff, and it's half the price, so you may want to give this a shot before trying the $35 version
(amazon has a good return policy ;) )

http://amzn.to/2CV51Bn

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome!! Thanks for posting this up. I wish I had seen this before talking our JL out :crazyeyes:

NFRs2000NYC

Awesome!! Thanks for posting this up. I wish I had seen this before talking our JL out :crazyeyes:

I think you did a number the day you guys got it (or maybe the next) where you decided to test the suspension and thrashed it around on gravel lol....I could hear the pain flying around:thumb: Having said that, if you cant have a little fun at the expense of a little paint, then when can you have fun?