Cold Air Intakes?

ambrose

I'm new to the whole Jeep scene, so sorry if this is a dumb question..

Opinions on cold air intakes for the JLs? I am already seeing a few options. I saw one vid.. but it doesn't seem like a mod that gets talked about anywhere near as much as lift kits, wheels, and off roading gear in general. I get why, I suppose, but I'm still curious what the consensus is on them for Jeeps as a worthwhile performance upgrade, or not.

Fire away. :)

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
On a jeep cold air intakes are a waste and snake oil. Yes they sound cool but don’t really benefit the motor.

JTCO

Meme King
On a jeep cold air intakes are a waste and snake oil. Yes they sound cool but don’t really benefit the motor.

^Agreed. Fun on sports cars with proper tuning and engine breathing, but on a Jeep, waste of money.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Worse than snake oil or being a waste of money, a cold air intake will let in WAY TOO MUCH DIRT and that will ruin an engine. I have multiple friends who have needed to get their 3.6L engines replaced because of this and one was running a dealer installed, Mopar CAI. NONE of them were covered under warranty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I still can't get my stock box back in.. I thought I read PSC has a new bracket for the res, might try that out and see what happens. I'll keep trying, I would rather have the stock box

PSC does have a new bracket that works with the factor box but it's still a super tight fit.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would have to disagree. The Mopar cold air intake requires cutting the hood. It draws air from the outside, not from under the hood.

Are you stupid or just dumb? He said a snorkel, which is outside, is the only real cold air intake. ALL snorkels require some cutting to mount the tubing for it so no shit you need to cut the hood.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you stupid or just dumb? He said a snorkel, which is outside, is the only real cold air intake. ALL snorkels require some cutting to mount the tubing for it so no shit you need to cut the hood.

LOL!! Easy there. I haven't seen the Mopar CAI for the JL but I have seen their snorkel kit and maybe he's confusing the two.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking back, I just recalled seeing the Mopar CAI kit at the LA Auto Show and as mentioned, it does require you to cut the hood to make it work. You can see here that there is a vent for it.
20171130000345-55fe538b.jpg

It is also designed to be used with their snorkel.
20171202140604-74366f96.jpg

If you look real close, you can just make out the panel filter too. Hard to say for sure but it does look like it may be paper too and if so, that would be a HUGE improvement over the old cone style oil or even dry base filters.

ambrose

Interesting point about the snorkel. Seems like you get two benefits with that one, no? CAI and safer with water. Any thoughts on the Mopar snorkel (or snorkels in general)? The Mopar one seems a bit.. intrusive looking to me, at least.

PaulNY

Interesting point about the snorkel. Seems like you get two benefits with that one, no? CAI and safer with water. Any thoughts on the Mopar snorkel (or snorkels in general)? The Mopar one seems a bit.. intrusive looking to me, at least.

I agree! The Mopar snorkel does seem intrusive and I don't like how it sticks out the whole length of the hood. I know there will be some cleaner options in due time and that's what I am waiting for.