Steel Bumper Opinions Requested

INDYCARSuperFan

I'm going to be ordering my first Jeep Rubicon Unlimited later this year. I live in Western New York where unfortunately, we do not have many trails and/or land available to off-road on. What we do have is a lot of snow at times during the winter, which essentially makes it's own off-road experience.

I like the look and flexibility of the steel bumper, but I do have concerns with rust because salt is used heavily here, and honestly, don't know how often I'll find myself in a position to take the ends off and enjoy a day of off-road fun.

Does anyone know why Jeep didn't use aluminum for the bumpers? Also, because the total cost of adding the steel bumpers is $2100, in most experienced Jeep owners opinions, will I find value in adding the steel bumper option?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

NFRs2000NYC

Rust isn't an issue if the bumper is coated well with good stuff. Aluminum bumpers are useless, unless they have a lot of engineering put into them, in which case, they are very expensive. You can get that aftermarket (companies such as Genright or Nemesis) but you'll never see an OEM aluminum bumper because of cost. Most prefer steel because it's a great tradeoff for price and strength. They are worth every penny because even the smallest accident can save you thousands of dollars and headaches, because it saves you from damage.

74451930-738E-46C6-BC12-906F97497A7B_zps5avj1f9a.jpg

A11BACCE-173D-4003-AE57-FE400042E99E_zpsmup6l6xg.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rust isn't an issue if the bumper is coated well with good stuff. Aluminum bumpers are useless, unless they have a lot of engineering put into them, in which case, they are very expensive. You can get that aftermarket (companies such as Genright or Nemesis) but you'll never see an OEM aluminum bumper because of cost. Most prefer steel because it's a great tradeoff for price and strength. They are worth every penny because even the smallest accident can save you thousands of dollars and headaches, because it saves you from damage.

Yup, pretty much have to agree with this ^^^^

ambrose

I really like mine; I think they look good.

I see there is some controversy on another JL forum about what winches it can and can't hold, and that you have to get a mounting plate in any case. At this point, it's not super clear, but it sounds like it may not be all its cracked up to be in that department. But I am fine with that/will almost certainly stick with the Mopar stock and use a winch that fits if/when I add one.

But I got into the loaded Rubicon partly because I wasn't sure how much modding I'll be doing, and I wanted a good starting point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really like mine; I think they look good.

I see there is some controversy on another JL forum about what winches it can and can't hold, and that you have to get a mounting plate in any case. At this point, it's not super clear, but it sounds like it may not be all its cracked up to be in that department. But I am fine with that/will almost certainly stick with the Mopar stock and use a winch that fits if/when I add one.

But I got into the loaded Rubicon partly because I wasn't sure how much modding I'll be doing, and I wanted a good starting point.

Unless you're in some kind of hurry, just give it a little time. Both Mopar and a whole host of other companies will have a winch plate available for the steel bumper. Fitment is tight with ZEON's but that's about it.