New Tailgate is not strong enough for oversized tires :(

NFRs2000NYC

Just saw Mel’s post on Instagram, the 35” tire caused a pretty sizable crease on the exterior sheet metal. Seems like people trying to get by without a carrier are not going to have it that easy.

13_gecko_rubi

Just saw Mel’s post on Instagram, the 35” tire caused a pretty sizable crease on the exterior sheet metal. Seems like people trying to get by without a carrier are not going to have it that easy.

It’s weird as that gate is cast magnesium and is plenty strong. Wonder if the mag is flexing differently than the aluminum skin and caused it or if it is a one off. Time will tell. The gate should be able to easily support a 35.

Here is a picture of the structure I saw on Facebook today.IMG_0021.JPG

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Orrrrrrrr..... maybe EVO is going to announce the release of a new tire carrier very soon. :idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It’s weird as that gate is cast magnesium and is plenty strong. Wonder if the mag is flexing differently than the aluminum skin and caused it or if it is a one off. Time will tell. The gate should be able to easily support a 35.

Certainly, running a wheel with less back spacing, one that didn't press firmly against the isolators and running trails like Pritchet would have nothing to do with anything. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya I dunno. Hopefully it’s a one off. Should know soon, lots of them I’ve seen with 35s or even 37s now. Guess at EJS I’m going to go crease hunting lol

Looking at the crease, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mel caught his spare going up a ledge or dropping off of one in Moab. Seen that happen tons of times over the last 11 years and where it jacks up the tailgate and rear glass on a hard top.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, very possible. I guess my apologies for the clickbait thread title, I think I read too much shit on the internet lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LOL!! It's all good. If anything, it just goes to show that when possible, it's always a great idea to take the spare and put it and its weight on the frame. Seen way too many jacked up JK tailgates and busted out hard top glass from guys over the years from playing in places like Moab.

JAGS

Orrrrrrrr..... maybe EVO is going to announce the release of a new tire carrier very soon. :idontknow:

Gotta thing they have quickly adapted the hinged version to release for the JL.

Will be interesting to see if they will have something like the JK cage carrier. How that would work with all the new lines of the JL.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta thing they have quickly adapted the hinged version to release for the JL.

Will be interesting to see if they will have something like the JK cage carrier. How that would work with all the new lines of the JL.

All I can say is - how do I get my hands on it :thumb:

RMC2

The JL has been released to the public for a month now, what is taking every one so long to design new bumpers, rock sliders, tire carriers, double throw down suspensions, and stuff. :D;)

Thinknator

The JL has been released to the public for a month now, what is taking every one so long to design new bumpers, rock sliders, tire carriers, double throw down suspensions, and stuff. :D;)

I think most of the designs are already done. It’s a matter of product testing and tool making for a production scale.