help me install a Warn Zeon 10s winch?

PaulNY

Getting the Mopar 2" lift installed as we speak. Dropped it off this morning, and actually spoke to the tech who is doing the install. He said that he can't remember doing a lift where the spring didn't have at least a little bow. As Eddie has mentioned, when you have a soft spring rate, it sounds like it's virtually impossible to eliminate some bow. Not even sure if an aftermarket track bar could make it completely straight on both sides, but with only 2" lift, I am taking Eddie's advice and not even worrying about it. I will be out in some mud this coming weekend trying out the new lift with 35" MT's and seeing how "Mad Max" performs. If I pay for someones plane ticket, can you come and help me install a Warn Zeon 10s winch? I will include unlimited beverages of your choice, and cereal as that's all I am capable of "cooking" :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Getting the Mopar 2" lift installed as we speak. Dropped it off this morning, and actually spoke to the tech who is doing the install. He said that he can't remember doing a lift where the spring didn't have at least a little bow. As Eddie has mentioned, when you have a soft spring rate, it sounds like it's virtually impossible to eliminate some bow. Not even sure if an aftermarket track bar could make it completely straight on both sides, but with only 2" lift, I am taking Eddie's advice and not even worrying about it. I will be out in some mud this coming weekend trying out the new lift with 35" MT's and seeing how "Mad Max" performs. If I pay for someones plane ticket, can you come and help me install a Warn Zeon 10s winch? I will include unlimited beverages of your choice, and cereal as that's all I am capable of "cooking" :D

:cheesy: So long as you have a winch plate, installing your ZEON 10s will be as simple as securing it to the plate with 4 bolts, routing 2 leads to the battery and attaching them to the terminals. It's really that easy. :yup:

PaulNY

:cheesy: So long as you have a winch plate, installing your ZEON 10s will be as simple as securing it to the plate with 4 bolts, routing 2 leads to the battery and attaching them to the terminals. It's really that easy. :yup:

Ummmm....ok:D Is there any wiring to one of the auxillary switches? Not sure if you would even use the auxiliary switch for the winch, but again I don't know much about anything lol.

JTCO

Meme King
Ummmm....ok:D Is there any wiring to one of the auxillary switches? Not sure if you would even use the auxiliary switch for the winch, but again I don't know much about anything lol.

No, these are big ass cables. Wire right to the battery.

Some people do run separate signal wires inside of the Jeep so you can turn on the winch from inside, but the controller that comes with it is effective enough IMO, that controller plugs right into the side of the winch and is plenty long enough to get out of harm's way.

PaulNY

Make sure they put the correct front spring perch per side (plastic cup that the bottom of the springs sit on on the correct side).
These are left/right dependent. If installed incorrectly you will have one side where the spring comes into contact with your swaybar link.
The bow is consistent throughout all of them...

I actually printed out pictures of the spring perch and bowed springs to show my installer this morning. We sat down in the break room, and I went over all of my concerns and he stated that he would check every single part to make sure it goes in the exact position. Thankfully, each spring has a little part# tag attached to them, so he would reference each tag to the location to ensure the springs and perches wouldn't be mismatched.

After speaking with Eddie, I feel MUCH better about the little bow the springs have. I have even looked at pics from other vendor offerings and they have a slight bow as well. Finally, the master technician at my dealer who is actually installing my lift (and does all of the dealers lifts) said that he can't remember doing a lift kit with a soft spring compression ratio that didn't bow slightly. He mentioned, as did Eddie, this is inherent of the soft springs and the bow is actually a good thing which shows how soft the springs are. He said that if the springs did not have a bow, then the spring rate would be a lot stiffer and drive ability would suffer tremendously from it. Finally, it's a Mopar lift, so I have comfort in knowing that it's covered under warranty worst case.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Some people do run separate signal wires inside of the Jeep so you can turn on the winch from inside, but the controller that comes with it is effective enough IMO, that controller plugs right into the side of the winch and is plenty long enough to get out of harm's way.

What WJCO said ^^^^

PaulNY

Ok, so maybe, just maybe, this may be the one accessory I can install lol. I guess the tricky part is feeding the cables cleanly up under the grille to the battery terminal. I am sure it would make sense once I dive into it. Worst case, maybe I could facetime you or another willing forum member so I don't catch my Jeep on fire :cheesy:

JTCO

Meme King
Ok, so maybe, just maybe, this may be the one accessory I can install lol. I guess the tricky part is feeding the cables cleanly up under the grille to the battery terminal. I am sure it would make sense once I dive into it. Worst case, maybe I could facetime you or another willing forum member so I don't catch my Jeep on fire :cheesy:

As long as your positive wire isn't rubbing on anything metal, you're good. You can always leave the cables disconnected near the battery and post pictures if needed. I think you'll be just fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, it really is that easy. You just want to make sure that the cables (especially the positive one) are routed in a way that won't get cut or chafe of bolts or other sharp objects along the way to the battery.

PaulNY

As long as your positive wire isn't rubbing on anything metal, you're good. You can always leave the cables disconnected near the battery and post pictures if needed. I think you'll be just fine.

Sounds good, and thanks so much for the info.

PaulNY

Honestly, it really is that easy. You just want to make sure that the cables (especially the positive one) are routed in a way that won't get cut or chafe of bolts or other sharp objects along the way to the battery.

As Jim Carey said in Dumb & Dumber, "so you're saying I've got a chance" lol. It sounds like it's certainly worth a try. Where are you purchasing your winch plate, and other associated parts from? I assume this requires the front bumper removal? Lastly, with the JL steel bumper, there are no D-rings so instead of having the Hook/clasp hanging down banging on my steel bumper, isn't there something that pulls in flush to the front plate?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As Jim Carey said in Dumb & Dumber, "so you're saying I've got a chance" lol. It sounds like it's certainly worth a try. Where are you purchasing your winch plate, and other associated parts from? I assume this requires the front bumper removal? Lastly, with the JL steel bumper, there are no D-rings so instead of having the Hook/clasp hanging down banging on my steel bumper, isn't there something that pulls in flush to the front plate?

It's frustrating that I have a ZEON 10S coming but no winch plate to mount it to as of yet. I was hoping a company that I trust will have something available soon but I might test out a different bumper first. We'll see.

JL2018

Here is the instruction sheet from Mopar. very easy. https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9012365066270

Trainwreck618

I have no idea what that means, but I assume it can be a little frustrating? :eek:

Yeah.. it sucks. They provide a small zip tie for you to try and use to feed the line through the drum. Good luck with that.. if you don't punch yourself in face you did better than me. I ended up using the ground wire from some 12-2 and pulled it through. Much easier