Tail gate reinforcement kit & spare tire mod kit needed for 35's?

PaulNY

Is it worth the $850 (I will install myself) for the tail gate reinforcement and spare tire kit if I am only running 35's? My tires weigh 62.86 lbs and am unsure how much my Mopar bead lock wheels weigh, but is it worth the money for the kits? I remember reading somewhere that the stock tail gate hinges are rated for 85 lbs? I don't mind to spend the money if it's worth it, but $850 also buys me some sliders and money left over toward my Warn winch :D. Any help is greatly appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it worth the $850 (I will install myself) for the tail gate reinforcement and spare tire kit if I am only running 35's? My tires weigh 62.86 lbs and am unsure how much my Mopar bead lock wheels weigh, but is it worth the money for the kits? I remember reading somewhere that the stock tail gate hinges are rated for 85 lbs? I don't mind to spend the money if it's worth it, but $850 also buys me some sliders and money left over toward my Warn winch :D. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The JL tailgate is super strong and designed to hold up to 85 lbs. IN ADDITION TO a 35" spare tire. I think you'll be fine without it.

PaulNY

The JL tailgate is super strong and designed to hold up to 85 lbs. IN ADDITION TO a 35" spare tire. I think you'll be fine without it.

That's great to hear Eddie, and thank you for saving me $850. I will mail you a case of beer. Now, I can buy some aftermarket sliders and the rest of the money I can put toward a Warn Zeon 10 :rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's great to hear Eddie, and thank you for saving me $850. I will mail you a case of beer. Now, I can buy some aftermarket sliders and the rest of the money I can put toward a Warn Zeon 10 :rock:

LOL!! Glad to hear I was able to save you some money :cool:

PaulNY

LOL!! Glad to hear I was able to save you some money :cool:

So, just for my sanity, what is the Mopar reinforcement kits made for? I would assume 37" or bigger? It says in the manual:

Tailgate Reinforcement System
Swing Gate Hinge Reinforcement allows for larger tires to be mounted
on the swing gate. The reinforcement is powder-coated black and
works with production hinge for easier installation. Requires Oversized
Spare Tire Carrier (P/N 82215355). For use with tires up to 37". Also
provides mounting provisions for other accessories.

2018, Jeep® Wrangler JL.
P/N 82215356AB $625.00

After reading that, it doesn't say "for use with tires 35" and bigger". It's hard to decipher what mopar is really trying to say here.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, just for my sanity, what is the Mopar reinforcement kits made for? I would assume 37" or bigger? It says in the manual:

Tailgate Reinforcement System
Swing Gate Hinge Reinforcement allows for larger tires to be mounted
on the swing gate. The reinforcement is powder-coated black and
works with production hinge for easier installation. Requires Oversized
Spare Tire Carrier (P/N 82215355). For use with tires up to 37". Also
provides mounting provisions for other accessories.

2018, Jeep® Wrangler JL.
P/N 82215356AB $625.00

After reading that, it doesn't say "for use with tires 35" and bigger". It's hard to decipher what mopar is really trying to say here.

All I can say is that so long as you make sure to keep the sidewall of your spare tire pressed firmly against the rubber isolators, you should be good to go carrying a 35. Certainly, I wouldn't hesitate doing it and I've done it on my JK in the past. Heck, I'm probably gonna try carrying a big 37x13.50 mounted on a beadlock wheel on my JL. :crazyeyes:

PaulNY

All I can say is that so long as you make sure to keep the sidewall of your spare tire pressed firmly against the rubber isolators, you should be good to go carrying a 35. Certainly, I wouldn't hesitate doing it and I've done it on my JK in the past. Heck, I'm probably gonna try carrying a big 37x13.50 mounted on a beadlock wheel on my JL. :crazyeyes:

So, at this point, is it safe to say that you will NOT being installing the Mopar reinforcement (or any reinforcement) even with your 37's? If your answer is no, then I feel much better NOT installing one will my puny 35's :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, at this point, is it safe to say that you will NOT being installing the Mopar reinforcement (or any reinforcement) even with your 37's? If your answer is no, then I feel much better NOT installing one will my puny 35's :D

Oh no, I will not be installing it. :cool:

PaulNY

Oh no, I will not be installing it. :cool:

Ok, that's good to hear :D On another note, do you have any idea how much my Mopar bead lock wheels weigh? My tires are 62.86 lbs (Fierce Attitude MT), but have no idea what the bead locks weigh. I am curious how much more weight I added from the stock Rubicon wheels and 33" BFG's, which I have no idea what they weigh either :crazyeyes: Sorry for so many questions Eddie, but this is my first Jeep and as a rookie, I am very unintelligent.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, that's good to hear :D On another note, do you have any idea how much my Mopar bead lock wheels weigh? My tires are 62.86 lbs (Fierce Attitude MT), but have no idea what the bead locks weigh. I am curious how much more weight I added from the stock Rubicon wheels and 33" BFG's, which I have no idea what they weigh either :crazyeyes: Sorry for so many questions Eddie, but this is my first Jeep and as a rookie, I am very unintelligent.

Sorry, I couldn't tell you for sure being that I've never run them before but what I can tell you is that something like a KMC Machete will weigh in at about 45 lbs.

PaulNY

Sorry, I couldn't tell you for sure being that I've never run them before but what I can tell you is that something like a KMC Machete will weigh in at about 45 lbs.

Ok, cool. I know you have the stock Rubi wheels as well. Any idea of how much they weigh? I just looked up the stock BFG's and they are 51 lbs. So, my new tires are 63 lbs which is obviously a 12 lbs increase right there. It would be interesting to know how much our stock Rubi wheels weigh to compare to a Machete which as you mentioned, are probably comparable to the Mopar bead locks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, cool. I know you have the stock Rubi wheels as well. Any idea of how much they weigh? I just looked up the stock BFG's and they are 51 lbs. So, my new tires are 63 lbs which is obviously a 12 lbs increase right there. It would be interesting to know how much our stock Rubi wheels weigh to compare to a Machete which as you mentioned, are probably comparable to the Mopar bead locks.

If I recall, factory wheels weigh about 35 lbs.

Cruuzer

Can i buy buy the longer isolaters without the reinforcement kits?

The offset on my new wheels (4.5 BS) leaves a 2” gap from the factory rubber isolaters, i noticed that the reinforce that kit has longer ones, i need some of those!

Any ideas??

Bsimon187

Can i buy buy the longer isolaters without the reinforcement kits?

The offset on my new wheels (4.5 BS) leaves a 2” gap from the factory rubber isolaters, i noticed that the reinforce that kit has longer ones, i need some of those!

Any ideas??

The long ones with the kit are still going to be a tad bit short. There are a few write ups on making due with the factory ones and adding some tubing or hockey pucks to them.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app