JL Seat height too high

offcamber

So I'm a big guy, 6'3" tall. I have really broad shoulders as well. My wife is 6' tall with long legs also. Today is my first longer drive in the JL and I noticed this morning that I can't get the drivers seat into a comfortable position. The seat sits noticeably higher in it's lowest position than my JK seat did. It's such that to put my right foot on the gas pedal is borderline uncomfortable and it puts my knee right into the Tcase lever. I have to recline the seat quite a bit to see the instruments since the top 1/4 is cut off from my view. This also makes it so that in a collision, the top if my head is going to impact the rollbar. My wife drove it last night and mentioned that it was uncomfortable to her. I had only driven it with the soft top box in the back and just assumed the seat was restricted by that. The height also makes the seatbelt abnormally snug as well. Any other tall guys having issues?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose this is one of those times where something has been made well for shorter people. I'm 5'-7" and my wife is 5'-4" and the JL really is perfect for us. I know it would suck to have to spend more money but I might recommend you buy a pair of MasterCraft Baja RS seats. We have them in one of our JK's and they sit about 2" lower than the JK seats and it's low enough to make visibility over the dash bar tough for my wife. In fact, we have a MasterCraft booster seat to help out when wheeling. Tall guys who've ridden in my JK all love it.

offcamber

I suppose this is one of those times where something has been made well for shorter people. I'm 5'-7" and my wife is 5'-4" and the JL really is perfect for us. I know it would suck to have to spend more money but I might recommend you buy a pair of MasterCraft Baja RS seats. We have them in one of our JK's and they sit about 2" lower than the JK seats and it's low enough to make visibility over the dash bar tough for my wife. In fact, we have a MasterCraft booster seat to help out when wheeling. Tall guys who've ridden in my JK all love it.

I'd thought about that. I had them in my 2003 TJ and wanted to put them in my 2012 JKU but mine had the options for seat equipped airbags. I was never able to find away to get rid of the seats without throwing the airbag error on the dash. The dealer told me they couldnt turn it off because they came equipped from the factory and they were not permitted to change anything in the system related to safety equipment, optional or not. I noticed that ALL JL seats have side assist airbags as well. So unless there is a way to disable the airbags for the seat in the computer, to get rid of the airbag error, I can't really replace the seats.

Walter

I'm 6'4" and I'm all legs and arms... like a spider... Lol. I definitely noticed my JL seats sit higher than my 2017 JKUR.

I've always driven Hondas growing up, so my body is used to smaller cockpits.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but what I've always done is have my seat forward enough so that my right knee leans to the right, against the center control stack. Of course, I've always had concerns that in a frontal impact, my femur might be rammed through the back of my pelvis. But these thoughts need not be thought.

But my spine is pretty average length for most make spines. So my head isn't really that high up in the cockpit.

Hope this helps you![emoji1] 0223180749.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Elickzer

So I'm a big guy, 6'3" tall. I have really broad shoulders as well. My wife is 6' tall with long legs also. Today is my first longer drive in the JL and I noticed this morning that I can't get the drivers seat into a comfortable position. The seat sits noticeably higher in it's lowest position than my JK seat did. It's such that to put my right foot on the gas pedal is borderline uncomfortable and it puts my knee right into the Tcase lever. I have to recline the seat quite a bit to see the instruments since the top 1/4 is cut off from my view. This also makes it so that in a collision, the top if my head is going to impact the rollbar. My wife drove it last night and mentioned that it was uncomfortable to her. I had only driven it with the soft top box in the back and just assumed the seat was restricted by that. The height also makes the seatbelt abnormally snug as well. Any other tall guys having issues?

I am 6’8”, I feel your pain and t-case lever. Also I worry about my head hitting the roll bar.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

The seating position in the JL is within a mm or two of the JK. The perception is much higher mainly because the dash, windshield and side windows were all dropped several inches.

Sent via....

RMC2

The dash is a lot closer to the windshield too.

I thought it had a ton of leg room. I'm about 5'11", so I have plenty of room to spare.

Oversize

I feel your pain. I am 6'8" most of my height is in my torso, so my head rests against the sound bar. When I eventually buy I'm gonna have to make sure I have enough money to also get an aftermarket seat that is lower.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The seating position in the JL is within a mm or two of the JK. The perception is much higher mainly because the dash, windshield and side windows were all dropped several inches.

Sent via....

See this is good. More rooms for sport cages and less window for them to reduce [emoji51]