First time Custom Build and Trade-in advice?

FUBAR

I'm thinking about doing a trade in on my current 2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock on a Rubicon JLU. I've owned several vehicles and 3 Jeeps but I've never actually custom ordered one before, its always been either used or my last 2 were pre-built on the lot. I was looking for some opinions on a couple package options and some advice doing the trade-in itself so I can try and get the most value I can possible.

There's a few packages I know I want for sure but a couple I'm on the fence for and looking for opinions.

Premium Soft Cloth or Leather Group - Do you prefer leather or cloth? My current Jeep has Leather but I think this might require a dedicated thread. :)
Safety Group (AJ1) - If I don't include this, does it still come with a rear backup camera?
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry - Think its worth the extra 500$?

For the trade-in, how do I know if I'm getting a good value on the trade? I got an appraisal already but I don't know if they did it on a base Rubicon or if they would have appraised with all the trim included (Steel bumper, leather, hood, etc). I have aftermarket JW Speaker LED headlights and fogs but I doubt that would make any difference. I tried to find a similar model for sale used but nothing listed in my area at all.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated from someone who has recently traded up! Thanks everyone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Soft Cloth or Leather Group - Do you prefer leather or cloth? My current Jeep has Leather but I think this might require a dedicated thread. :)

I'm sure it's just personal preference but I've never been too fond of the leather seats in Jeeps.

Safety Group (AJ1) - If I don't include this, does it still come with a rear backup camera?

We ordered our JL without the safety group and still got the rear backup cam.

Remote Proximity Keyless Entry - Think its worth the extra 500$?

I really like the keyless entry and was a bit disappointed when I realized that our JL didn't come with it.

For the trade-in, how do I know if I'm getting a good value on the trade? I got an appraisal already but I don't know if they did it on a base Rubicon or if they would have appraised with all the trim included (Steel bumper, leather, hood, etc). I have aftermarket JW Speaker LED headlights and fogs but I doubt that would make any difference. I tried to find a similar model for sale used but nothing listed in my area at all.

You're never going to get as much from a trade in the way you can get from a private sale.

FUBAR

I'm sure it's just personal preference but I've never been too fond of the leather seats in Jeeps.
We ordered our JL without the safety group and still got the rear backup cam.
I really like the keyless entry and was a bit disappointed when I realized that our JL didn't come with it.
You're never going to get as much from a trade in the way you can get from a private sale.

I'm leaning towards cloth this time I think to save some money and I think its better for weather. I've found the black leather with the top down can get pretty hot and its pretty damn cold during the winter too! The keyless might be a neat feature to have, just a convenience thing I guess. As for the private sale, I guess I'm saving the tax when I'm trading it in which may offset some of the cost and convenience too not having to worry, test drive..etc.

Wonder if I should take out the headlights and put the stock ones back in? I might be able to sell the LED's used, they were pretty expensive here in Canada.

13_gecko_rubi

I'm leaning towards cloth this time I think to save some money and I think its better for weather. I've found the black leather with the top down can get pretty hot and its pretty damn cold during the winter too! The keyless might be a neat feature to have, just a convenience thing I guess. As for the private sale, I guess I'm saving the tax when I'm trading it in which may offset some of the cost and convenience too not having to worry, test drive..etc.

Wonder if I should take out the headlights and put the stock ones back in? I might be able to sell the LED's used, they were pretty expensive here in Canada.

If you have the stock lights I’d definitely remove them and sell them. Will help recover a few $$ and they won’t decrease trade value for that, doubt they even notice.

The keyless thing is purely convenience. But I have to say, the ones I’ve driven without it, it feels weird to pull out key just to unlock and get in then put back in pocket to use the keyless start button.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

strifehero

One of the reasons I’m thrilled to lose my ‘15 is the interior, specifically the cloth seats. I replaced my ‘07 Rubicon (YES seat material, which was incredible) and noticed immediately that the ‘15 interior was terrible. Cheap, awful seat material and plastics, and resulted in always looking filthy and cheap. Even right after a legendary cleaning at the hands of my wife. So I’m trying leather for my first Wrangler (have now had 5) because of the great reviews and actually checking it out. And kids and dog and on and on - going to be easier to clean, just hoping it’s also easier to KEEP clean. It definitely looks amazing on these JL interiors!

Edited to add: regarding trade, you’ll probably always do better with a private sale, but I typically make that a point of negotiation with dealers early on. I have been surprised. In CO the difference wipes out taxable value and, with my ‘15, I would’ve had to sell it a bit higher than top value based on the most highly rated pricing to make a difference. So I get to drive it to the dealer, hand over the keys, and drive home in my JL (hopefully tomorrow) and not worry about anything else Jeep-wise.

bolig4x4

About the remote proximity keyless entry, we have that in my wife’s grand Cherokee and it is awesome, never have to touch the key fob just grab the handle to unlock or push a button to lock. I just ordered my jlur with it last night. Good luck :rock:

RMC2

Leather is definitely a personal preference thing, and I prefer cloth. I think I saw the new leather is better, but factory leather is usually thin.

Like stated, in the US the camera is standard across the board. The choice is what radio you put in the dash. I really like the 8.4. It is pretty nice, but I find a bigger screen makes a difference. My dad has a 3" or so in his truck mirror and it is totally worthless. I have the 430 nav with the 6" screen with a camera added and it is ok, but I still don't use it much. But I need a better camera too. But the car, 16 Chevy Impala and with leather, has a giant screen with the sensors. We both actually use that one a lot. On the Jeep, you can turn the camera whenever you want too. I'm not crazy about sensors on a Jeep though.

The car has the keyless too, and it is awesome. The wife said it is worth $500. I think that is steep, but it is very convenient. On the Jeep you just pull on the handle to open. But when you get out, you have to hit the button on the handle to lock. On the car, hit the button to open and just walk away to lock. I wish the Jeep was set up to lock that way. It's ergonomics to me.

Trade in can be decent, but not likely great. In the US, dealers use something like NADA blue or black book trade values. Private sale can be good and the only way you will get money for upgrades in most cases. You can use various online pricing tools to check. You have a financially more desirable model, but you will likely even get the same price for a softtop as a hardtop, except maybe Canada. You will get very little for options at all. And if it isn't on the list, like headlights, then nothing. The dealer will usually up charge the selling price to the next guy though.

What you may try is to go to another dealer, non Chrysler/Jeep, and say you are thinking about a nice truck or something pricy. Ask then to give you a trade value first, and then if it is a good price, ask if they will buy it outright. Also get a trade amount from where you are ordering from with enough miles counted to cover the wait for the new Jeep. Then you can try the private sale, have other options, and then decide if it goes as a trade in if nothing else works out.

Ordering will get you exactly what you want, versus what is close enough. On the lot vehicles may be missing something you really want, or have stuff you didn't really want. You could get lucky though. But you have to wait on an order. Worth it in my opinion. They may even offer a better deal on an order for a hot vehicle.

Last edited:

sharkey

Word Ninja
I've had leather and cloth. IMHO, the cloth lasts longer but I do run Bartact seat covers and will likely do so in any future Jeeps. They are fantastic. If I do it again though, I won't get factory seat heaters with the cloth seats. I can barely feel them through the Bartact seat covers. It would have been much more effective, and inexpensive, to just put aftermarket heaters in the Jeep in between the OEM seats and the Bartact covers.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I've had leather and cloth. IMHO, the cloth lasts longer but I do run Bartact seat covers and will likely do so in any future Jeeps. They are fantastic. If I do it again though, I won't get factory seat heaters with the cloth seats. I can barely feel them through the Bartact seat covers. It would have been much more effective, and inexpensive, to just put aftermarket heaters in the Jeep in between the OEM seats and the Bartact covers.

Maybe you need a smaller ass?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app