Insights on Line-X

mnrafter

We have ordered our JLU Rubicon. We are seriously considering Line-X for the exterior. Anyone have any insights for us on this major mod?

mnrafter

Why would you want to do this?

For several reasons. First, the color we want is not available on the 2018 JLU. Second, we want total durability. The cost to change the color at a reputable body shop or dealer is in the neighborhood of 10-12K. Line-X has quoted in the ballpark of 4-6K. We could wrap it, but the cost for that is about 4K and the warranty is only 3 years. Plus, those are basically heat-shrink stickers that will not hold up in an off-road environment. Additionally, we live in MN where the crap that is put on the roads in the winter months (6 months out of the year) is VERY destructive to the vehicle.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For several reasons. First, the color we want is not available on the 2018 JLU. Second, we want total durability. The cost to change the color at a reputable body shop or dealer is in the neighborhood of 10-12K. Line-X has quoted in the ballpark of 4-6K. We could wrap it, but the cost for that is about 4K and the warranty is only 3 years. Plus, those are basically heat-shrink stickers that will not hold up in an off-road environment. Additionally, we live in MN where the crap that is put on the roads in the winter months (6 months out of the year) is VERY destructive to the vehicle.

LOL!! And here I was feeling a bit frustrated that my new JL cost a whole $20k more than my full loaded JK Rubicon Unlimited did back in 2007. I guess, what's another $4-6k when you're already shelling out over $50k especially when you can't get the color you really want. While rust belt concerns are legitimate, I've never really seen it be as much of an issue on the body - of course, everything underneath is a different story. At least, that's what I found on the JK I bought from Buffalo, NY.

mnrafter

LOL!! And here I was feeling a bit frustrated that my new JL cost a whole $20k more than my full loaded JK Rubicon Unlimited did back in 2007. I guess, what's another $4-6k when you're already shelling out over $50k especially when you can't get the color you really want. While rust belt concerns are legitimate, I've never really seen it be as much of an issue on the body - of course, everything underneath is a different story. At least, that's what I found on the JK I bought from Buffalo, NY.

I know it sounds a bit pricey, but as you stated, the cost of this vehicle is...well...high. And you are correct, what is an additional 4-6K investment on a vehicle that we want to last us into retirement? I am just wondering if it is an investment worthy of the cost. Or, do we just stay with the ordered color and live with it? Is it as durable as what I have seen on the "net"?

Trainwreck618

I know it sounds a bit pricey, but as you stated, the cost of this vehicle is...well...high. And you are correct, what is an additional 4-6K investment on a vehicle that we want to last us into retirement? I am just wondering if it is an investment worthy of the cost. Or, do we just stay with the ordered color and live with it? Is it as durable as what I have seen on the "net"?

I would stick with what you got, then down the road if it's still what you want, go for it. You have fresh paint on a brand new vehicle.. scratch it up first before a re-paint.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would stick with what you got, then down the road if it's still what you want, go for it. You have fresh paint on a brand new vehicle.. scratch it up first before a re-paint.

This ^^^^^

While bedlined Jeeps were all the rage 5 or so years ago, it's a fad that is fading away. If it were me, I'd run what you have for a while and IF you decide at a later date to change things up, do it at that time.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Are you bedlining your frame too? Crazy thought, but have you tried to, I don’t know, wash your vehicle in the winter? Bedlining the outside of a $50k vehicle when it’s brand new because you are scared of road salt is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Buy a beater truck for $2500 and keep the JL off the road and you’ll still have $1500 in the bank.

mnrafter

Are you bedlining your frame too? Crazy thought, but have you tried to, I don’t know, wash your vehicle in the winter? Bedlining the outside of a $50k vehicle when it’s brand new because you are scared of road salt is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Buy a beater truck for $2500 and keep the JL off the road and you’ll still have $1500 in the bank.

The bigger issue is that we want a different color that is not an option offered from the factory.

13_gecko_rubi

Taste and styling aside, that's your call, have you ever seen a bed lined Wrangler? The line-x being porous is a nightmare to clean. My one friend has a jeep done like this, it is a nitemare to get the dirt out of the linex. You cannot just wash it with a sponge as all the dirt is trapped in the crevices. You have you literally scrub it with a firm brush and even then it doesn't come totally clean. For road salt I would think it would trap it in the crevices and cause more issues.

If color is your main concern, order a black one and have them respray the outside. For 4-6k you can have a very well done paint job. If you get black there is no need to spray inside of engine compartment etc. It would be harder and more expensive to respray the interior esp the matching sport bar etc. You could leave that black if you have a hard top as you'd never see it. But whoever quoted you 20k I'd never talk to again. I know hot rod shops here that do show car quality paint jobs on classic cars that don't charge 20k to do a bare steel chassis.

Sent via....

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Taste and styling aside, that's your call, have you ever seen a bed lined Wrangler? The line-x being porous is a nightmare to clean. My one friend has a jeep done like this, it is a nitemare to get the dirt out of the linex. You cannot just wash it with a sponge as all the dirt is trapped in the crevices. You have you literally scrub it with a firm brush and even then it doesn't come totally clean. For road salt I would think it would trap it in the crevices and cause more issues.

If color is your main concern, order a black one and have them respray the outside. For 4-6k you can have a very well done paint job. If you get black there is no need to spray inside of engine compartment etc. It would be harder and more expensive to respray the interior esp the matching sport bar etc. You could leave that black if you have a hard top as you'd never see it. But whoever quoted you 20k I'd never talk to again. I know hot rod shops here that do show car quality paint jobs on classic cars that don't charge 20k to do a bare steel chassis.

Sent via....

Jeep should allow custom color orders from the factory. 🤪🤣

JeepFan

Get a black JL and have it wrapped in your favorite color. Don't ruin it with bed liner. Just my 2 cents.

TrailHunter

Even a beat up, pinstriped paint job looks better then a Line-x'd one. It will look "ok" at first... but then it will dull, get chalky and dirty..... I say no way. Seeing your Jeep Covered in dirt sitting in the driveway is Cool.... then giving it a good wash and admiring the Shine until the next trip, is do Dam satisfying. With Line-X it will always look kinda dirty.

JTCO

Meme King
I will admit I love seeing the sema jeeps with linex exteriors, but I can't imagine actually doing it for most practical jeeps on the road for the reasons already stated here. Also, once it's on, it's there....No turning back.

NFRs2000NYC

I am the biggest LINE-X fan, and no I don't own stock in it. I have had a lot of parts coated with it, and that stuff really is a cut above in toughness and durability. I can absolutely see bedlining the exterior of a jeep, as it not only adds serious strength to the panels, it is also extremely difficult to damage. Now, having said that, I'd have to agree with these guys....if you have ever seen the LINE-X job on the exterior, you'll notice that they basically take sandpaper to the entire painted surface, and scuff up all the paint so that the material will stick. They are basically scratching the piss out of your ride to do this....so, do the wise thing. Get the Jeep in Black, white or silver, or whatever color you think would blend well with the color you want, and drive it with factory paint. Hit the trains, hit the woods, have a great time. You may even get into (knock on wood) a fender bender or an accident where the insurance will shell out a bunch of money for respraying parts, which you can THEN use to pay for the LINEX. Ride the paint out, you will not "save the tub" any faster. If you really want to bedline, consider doing it 2-4 years into ownership.

NFRs2000NYC

Even a beat up, pinstriped paint job looks better then a Line-x'd one. It will look "ok" at first... but then it will dull, get chalky and dirty..... I say no way. Seeing your Jeep Covered in dirt sitting in the driveway is Cool.... then giving it a good wash and admiring the Shine until the next trip, is do Dam satisfying. With Line-X it will always look kinda dirty.

Real linex (talking about the brand, not the general term thrown around for bed liner) gets clearcoated if it is an exterior part, which doesn't dull or get chalky. It's basically a UV protector and adds a bit of shine, which also makes black blacker and colors pop.

TrailHunter

Real linex (talking about the brand, not the general term thrown around for bed liner) gets clearcoated if it is an exterior part, which doesn't dull or get chalky. It's basically a UV protector and adds a bit of shine, which also makes black blacker and colors pop.

Fair enough... they have improved this... but considering how cleaning will be more difficult and require more pressure.... how long will that clear coat really last? And it's not a smooth surface so it will never really "SHINE". To each is there own...