which trailer hitch works on rear steel bumper?

dbungard

Picked up my JLU Rubicon today. Found one with everything I wanted, except the tow package. So now I just need to add a hitch, mainly for bikes and cargo carriers.

Having some trouble figuring out which hitch mounts are compatible.

There are only 2 existing bolts in place under the bumper with the spacer plate, not 4 as the tech at Quadratec just told me there should be.

Anybody know which aftermarket or Mopar hitch actually fits and whether or not it comes with the bolts needed?

dbungard

Update:

After getting the JLU home and crawling under the rear bumper, Ive ordered a Quadratec hitch - at risk.

What what I can tell -- the rear cross member has the same 4 holes JK's had. There's also a spacer plate there with 2 nuts welded to it, and two bolts in place from the factory. This is on a JKU Rubi with steal bumper factory option.

But, the 10th Anniversary compatible hitches on the market apparently AREN'T what you need on JL's, due to the welded on nuts. Apparently JK rear cross members had the nuts welded in place, JL's don't. So you need a hitch with the nuts for the 4 bolts welded to it.

I should have the hitch Friday and hope to install it. Fingers crossed.

This is what I ordered: https://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1000_07.htm

WranJLerYYC

Great post. I was wondering the same thing. We have a JLU Rubicon coming that doesn’t have the tow package so we will need this for sure.

Cheers.

Update:

After getting the JLU home and crawling under the rear bumper, Ive ordered a Quadratec hitch - at risk.

What what I can tell -- the rear cross member has the same 4 holes JK's had. There's also a spacer plate there with 2 nuts welded to it, and two bolts in place from the factory. This is on a JKU Rubi with steal bumper factory option.

But, the 10th Anniversary compatible hitches on the market apparently AREN'T what you need on JL's, due to the welded on nuts. Apparently JK rear cross members had the nuts welded in place, JL's don't. So you need a hitch with the nuts for the 4 bolts welded to it.

I should have the hitch Friday and hope to install it. Fingers crossed.

This is what I ordered: https://www.quadratec.com/products/12015_1000_07.htm

WranJLerYYC

Any update yet???? Lol. Looking at ordering one and the Aux switch kit as ours didn’t come with the Tow Package either.

dbungard

Any update yet???? Lol. Looking at ordering one and the Aux switch kit as ours didn’t come with the Tow Package either.

Sorry, I was in Belize all last week.

Yes, this hitch bolted on perfectly, right to the factory steel bumper. You have to remove two bolts and a spacer plate that are there from the factory. Then that Quadratec hitch and 4 bolts that come with it go right on. I used a floor jack to get it positioned into place, then a rubber mallet to line all the bolts up.

WranJLerYYC

Yes, this hitch bolted on perfectly, right to the factory steel bumper. You have to remove two bolts and a spacer plate that are there from the factory. Then that Quadratec hitch and 4 bolts that come with it go right on. I used a floor jack to get it positioned into place, then a rubber mallet to line all the bolts up.

Awesome. I’ll order one today! Thank you. Oh and isn’t Belize awesome? I wish I could bring our Jeep there!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WranJLerYYC

All of the hitch receivers here in my area are just the 4 hole design without the nut welded on! Does it really matter? Could I just weld them on myself?

Thank you so much!

BillArnett

RubiCat?

I used to have a trailer hitch on my JK. Took it off immediately as it seemed to always be the thing that hits first when departure angle is an issue. So...why does RubiCat have one?

Knotter82

Thanks for the info on the hitch. I am in the same situation as you, a JLU Rubicon with no hitch.

My only question is I am looking at adding this hitch, but I am also needing lights for a trailer. Right now the only option I see out there is the MOPAR 4/7Pin light Kit. Will this hitch interfere with where that 4/7 Pin connector mounts or will it be ok? Or better yet, did you find another solution for lights besides the MOPAR option?

Thanks!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Thanks. I’ve been wondering if that would work.

dbungard

Thanks for the info on the hitch. I am in the same situation as you, a JLU Rubicon with no hitch.

My only question is I am looking at adding this hitch, but I am also needing lights for a trailer. Right now the only option I see out there is the MOPAR 4/7Pin light Kit. Will this hitch interfere with where that 4/7 Pin connector mounts or will it be ok? Or better yet, did you find another solution for lights besides the MOPAR option?

Thanks!

I think if you need functional trailer lights your only solution right now is the complete Mopar trailer hitch and wiring harness. I'm only using this hitch right now for hitch carriers and bike carriers or trailers within my neighborhood to local kayak fishing lakes, which is gated and private roads.

JL2018

I used to have a trailer hitch on my JK. Took it off immediately as it seemed to always be the thing that hits first when departure angle is an issue. So...why does RubiCat have one?

I always drive with a ball in the hitch with my pickup when on road. Been hit twice from behind and both times I had no damage to my truck and the other vehicle's front bumper was demolished. another time I came out of Walmart and someone was parked up close to my rear bumper, when I looked they had a ball sized hole in their ft bumper. They probably didn't realize their damage when they kissed my truck while parking. So, that was the first option I chose, Then I found out it also came with the aux switches....(Sold)

Just need to find a long enough stem to clear my 12.5" spare. might just save the tailgate