Winch vs Mopar Steel Bumper

GrayBeard

Its my understanding that the Winch Capable steel front bumper is not a direct bolt on winch bumper and that a winch mount plate must be ordered.

I've heard that people are having issues getting some winches to fit properly or at all.

I have the XRC Gen 2 9500lb winch.

Does anybody have any experience yet with the JLUR steel front bumper and winch install. Any issues, tips or suggestions.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Zevulin

If the JL steel bumper is identical to the JK then yes, a winch mounting plate is needed. Also, on the JL I believe they moved the vacuum pump location, this alleviates having to cut the vacuum pump mounting bracket which needs to be done on the JK for certain winches.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If the JL steel bumper is identical to the JK then yes, a winch mounting plate is needed. Also, on the JL I believe they moved the vacuum pump location, this alleviates having to cut the vacuum pump mounting bracket which needs to be done on the JK for certain winches.

This ^^^

You WILL need to get a winch plate but there is no longer a vacuum pump to deal with.

I will try to do an installation write-up as soon as my winch comes in.

JL2018

This ^^^

You WILL need to get a winch plate but there is no longer a vacuum pump to deal with.

I will try to do an installation write-up as soon as my winch comes in.

I'd like to see the pics. I'm hearing so much chatter that a lot of winch models wont fit. I'm specifically looking to get a Warn Zeon 10 and hearing it might not fit is depressing me.

13_gecko_rubi

I'm hearing that the max size that will fit in the bumper is
Winch Dimensions: 21.8" L. x 6.3" D. x 7.6" H.
(555mm L. x 160mm D. x 193mm H.)
So you are "hearing"... ie reading Rusty's stuff. Several others have put Xeons in them. It is very tight.

Sent via....

JL2018

So you are "hearing"... ie reading Rusty's stuff. Several others have put Xeons in them. It is very tight.

Sent via....

That's why I'm asking to see pics of installs of winches like the zeon 10. I haven't heard from anyone yet who actually installed one. The warn winch mopar is offering is basically the zeon 8 (a little smaller in dimensions)

JTCO

Meme King
That's why I'm asking to see pics of installs of winches like the zeon 10. I haven't heard from anyone yet who actually installed one. The warn winch mopar is offering is basically the zeon 8 (a little smaller in dimensions)

Zeon 8s and 10s are the exact same housing dimensions. I believe the ONLY difference between the 2 is the is the internal gear ratio. I have one of each (not on JLs) and they literally look and feel identical next to each other.

https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/line.jsp

Untitled.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see the pics. I'm hearing so much chatter that a lot of winch models wont fit. I'm specifically looking to get a Warn Zeon 10 and hearing it might not fit is depressing me.

Well, I have a WARN Zeon 10S on order. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Sent via....

But, if it's said on the internet, it has to be true :crazyeyes:

JAGS

Well, I have a WARN Zeon 10S on order. Guess we'll see how it goes.

But, if it's said on the internet, it has to be true :crazyeyes:

I think you'll love that winch. I know you're used to the power plant, but sans the air, the Zeon has been awesome for me.

I plan to get another one or swap the one from ENVY over.

JL2018

If it doesn't fit right away, a little bit of trimming should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I guess I've had a little tunnel vision on it, but I'm trying to get everything I intend to immediately put on the jeep in advance (parts stores in my area are having their biggest sales well before i get my jeep) so when the jeep comes in I'm ready to install the winch, lights, air compressor, 35" tires, etc.

Don't want to take that walk of shame back to parts store to return items I cant use on it. :)

Jasper

which manafactuerer winch plate is everyone using? Any actual real owners installed a winch in one yet?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
which manafactuerer winch plate is everyone using? Any actual real owners installed a winch in one yet?

Rusty's and JCR have a winch plate but I personally will hold out and wait for Mopar or a better company to come out with one.

JL2018

I went over to the dealer and took a look at the winch made for mopar which says Rubicon on it and it's the same size as the zeon 10. I Thought it might be special sizing to fit the steel bumper. As soon as he gets the mounting plates in he is going to install in bumper and let me know if he had any issues.

RMC2

That stupid plate is like $300. It should be part of the bumper, to include all the previous special edition bumpers didn't have it either. On my ugly mopar bumper (hey it was on my 09 when I got it), it is built in.

GrayBeard

Mopar winch plate on order thru dealership. Dealership said they will install it and winch(XRC Gen 2 9500 w/Synthetic line) for free:beer: I think they are eager to see my JLUR with the lift, wheel and tires they are installing. It's the first JLUR they will be getting in. Gonna stay as much with Mopar as possible for warranty and see how it does.

13_gecko_rubi

That stupid plate is like $300. It should be part of the bumper, to include all the previous special edition bumpers didn't have it either. On my ugly mopar bumper (hey it was on my 09 when I got it), it is built in.
If it was built in, the bumper would just cost more. You'd be paying for it either way. With all the fuel economy rules weight is critical, that's why it isn't on there from factory. That and 95%+ of people that get the steel bumpers will never install a winch on one.

Sent via....