2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 turbo Diesel

jlvinny

Has anybody heard anything about the turbo diesel coming out yet do you have any more info on it I can’t even get a spy shot that they are even working on it. It’s like it’s asleep I hope somebody wakes it up soon I’m gonna go out of my mind!! To silent for me!!!
Vinny

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Tellico

You’re not the only one brother I was just thinking the same thing. I have weak intentions to wait out my purchase until the diesel is available, and it’s getting hard to keep changing my routes so that I don’t pass any dealerships. I heard a rumor from an unreliable source that it would be available before the end of 2018 if that helps at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From the very beginning and even at the LA Auto Show reveal, Jeep has said that the diesel won't be available until next year.

jlvinny

You’re not the only one brother I was just thinking the same thing. I have weak intentions to wait out my purchase until the diesel is available, and it’s getting hard to keep changing my routes so that I don’t pass any dealerships. I heard a rumor from an unreliable source that it would be available before the end of 2018 if that helps at all.

All I do is watch YouTube videos to see if there’s any other spy-shots or anything on that jeep I understand it’s coming out in 2019 or year end 2018 Just would love to see something happening with it!!! SHOW ME A SIGN!!!!It’s going Be worth the wait though!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

offcamber

We have the Grand Cherokee ecodiesel for my wife's car. Stock I was pretty disappointed. With a Green Diesel Engineering Tune and EGR delete, I like it. Stock/before the tune, it was a dog. After the tune it performs at least as good as the 3.6L. Before the tune it averaged 26mph highway/22 day to day. Still averages 22 mixed driving but on the highway it'll get 33mpg. The downside is that it just cost so much more to maintain. 10qts of oil each oil change...if you have someone else change your oil it generally costs around $100-130. Before the EGR delete it seemed to go through about 8 gallons of DEF every 4000 miles . Now I just put water in it. My JL is going to be a 3.6L

JTCO

Meme King
We have the Grand Cherokee ecodiesel for my wife's car. Stock I was pretty disappointed. With a Green Diesel Engineering Tune and EGR delete, I like it. Stock/before the tune, it was a dog. After the tune it performs at least as good as the 3.6L. Before the tune it averaged 26mph highway/22 day to day. Still averages 22 mixed driving but on the highway it'll get 33mpg. The downside is that it just cost so much more to maintain. 10qts of oil each oil change...if you have someone else change your oil it generally costs around $100-130. Before the EGR delete it seemed to go through about 8 gallons of DEF every 4000 miles . Now I just put water in it. My JL is going to be a 3.6L

Agreed. Diesels are not cheap to keep up on.

Speshll K

I'm on the fence about waiting and purchasing the 3Ed, I have a Ram with it and love it in the truck. The gde tune is a must, driveability is much improved with it and turning off the egr is essential to keeping your intake somewhat cleaner. It would be nice to run a JL that would net mid 20s on the highway. The down side of the truck getting 600 plus miles on a tank is my bladder cannot make it through a tank a fuel and I have to stop before I need to fill again haha! Seriously though, I would like to find out what size fuel tank they will run with the addition of a def tank in the JL. It's going to be hard to wait long enough to drive one with the diesel in it now that I have decided to sell the current JKUR and move on to the next generation.

bonner

You can change the oil on an ED for 60-70 bucks and you only have to do it every 10k miles so its not really any more expensive in that regard. Just do it yourself other wise its 130 to 160. I have the ram and the GDE tune and love it. Hopefully the new model will have a similar tune from the factory since they're bumping the power a little too.

NFRs2000NYC

I've had a number of sports cars in my day, from Audi S4s, to a number of M3s. I also have a turboed track toy (s2000) so Im no stranger to speed and performance. I find the performance very impressive. The way it climbs from say 5mph to 100mph is relentless, and will absolutely trounce the 3.6L in a highway pull. Take an unlimited wrangler, and add 1000lbs of weight in armor, bumpers, winch, compressors, tools, cargo, etc, and the diesel will absolutely annihilate the v6. The GC is compliant and quiet, so the speed isn't as apparent (similar feeling to say an AMG S class) but if you watch the needle climb it doesn't stop. Our horrible NYC commuting averages in the 22-24mpg, but long highway drives, easily mid 30s, and I've gotten 41 before trying to hypermile from NY to DC and back. Our DEF consumption is around 8-10 gallons per 10000 miles, but I think the fact that you're in hot texas makes consumption far greater. Oil changes, the dealer we bought it from (long island) actually does free oil changes for life, but most of the time, we take it into a local dealer (nj) just because it's close to the house. To me, the performance is worth the slightly increased cost of upkeep, and in my personal opinion, a wrangler is exactly the type of vehicle you'd want a diesel in....to turn the big tires, and carry the big heavy loads, without any real decrease in performance or mpg (not that I care about mpg other than on adventure travel.)

NFRs2000NYC

The good news for the diesel guys is that this will give Jeep more time to iron out all the issues, be it welds, steering, leaking, electrical gremlins, etc. Plus the aftermarket will have a chance to catch up, so if you look at it that way, it is a big plus. Good things come to those who wait lol

13_gecko_rubi

I've had a number of sports cars in my day, from Audi S4s, to a number of M3s. I also have a turboed track toy (s2000) so Im no stranger to speed and performance. I find the performance very impressive. The way it climbs from say 5mph to 100mph is relentless, and will absolutely trounce the 3.6L in a highway pull. Take an unlimited wrangler, and add 1000lbs of weight in armor, bumpers, winch, compressors, tools, cargo, etc, and the diesel will absolutely annihilate the v6. The GC is compliant and quiet, so the speed isn't as apparent (similar feeling to say an AMG S class) but if you watch the needle climb it doesn't stop. Our horrible NYC commuting averages in the 22-24mpg, but long highway drives, easily mid 30s, and I've gotten 41 before trying to hypermile from NY to DC and back. Our DEF consumption is around 8-10 gallons per 10000 miles, but I think the fact that you're in hot texas makes consumption far greater. Oil changes, the dealer we bought it from (long island) actually does free oil changes for life, but most of the time, we take it into a local dealer (nj) just because it's close to the house. To me, the performance is worth the slightly increased cost of upkeep, and in my personal opinion, a wrangler is exactly the type of vehicle you'd want a diesel in....to turn the big tires, and carry the big heavy loads, without any real decrease in performance or mpg (not that I care about mpg other than on adventure travel.)
It is a great engine! Do you have to take higher speed freeway trips once in awhile so it can regen to clean out the dpf living in the city? That's really the only complaint I've seen from city folks with them.

Sent via....

I'm not so patiently waiting for the JL diesel. I recently picked up a very low mileage Audi Q7 with the 3.0 TDI. It's quiet and makes gobs of torque at 2k rpm and below. It never needs to downshift on the highway. I love it. It's only made me want a JL eco diesel even more. The Audi is obviously a totally different engine, but that little 3.0 Eco Diese gets me 32-34 highway mpg in a 5500lb 7 seater suv. Still gets 22-24ish around town. I REALLY hope the JL diesel is in the upper 20s for hwy mpg. Regardless what it ends up being, it should be a significant improvement over the 3.6.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

It is a great engine! Do you have to take higher speed freeway trips once in awhile so it can regen to clean out the dpf living in the city? That's really the only complaint I've seen from city folks with them.

Sent via....

Drive into the city is usually pretty stop and go...however, at least a few times a week, I can squeak out of the city at normal speeds, and have a nice chunk of a highway run allowing REGEN to cycle. I believe my dad had regen abort on him once, but that was it.

Speshll K

Sent via....

Yes and no, I do a lot of local running with my 3ED Ram and can add some insight. The only time a message comes up that a regen is in progress is if the DPF his 80 percent full, normally the truck has already tried to regen around 69-70 percent from what I remember. The short trips can disrupt that and thats when people get the message to continue to drive. A lot of people run a scan gauge, I run the edge CTS2. With this running I can monitor what percentage my DPF is at and see whether the truck has started a regen while I'm driving. The other nice thing is when I'm doing a lot of short trips and notice that soot level getting high I can force a regen to start with the CTS2. I may not be able to get down to the 9% during travel time but when I start the truck next time it is has lowered and gives me time until I can do a highway run. I to am waiting on the eco to show up in the JL, specifically the pick up. I may sell the Ram and the JK to downsize the fleet, this however depends on the the tow ratings. I run the GDE tune with my truck now and will set the JL up with it in the first week of ownership, its that much of an improvement over stock!!