JL Moss

JeepFan

Our new JL came with a powdery substance on the engine, transmission and transfer case aluminum. I refer to it as moss! LOL Most of it can be rubbed off with a finger. Unfortunately I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to get in there and really clean it. I will definitely give this some attention soon. :crazyeyes: Has anyone else noticed this on their JL? Not what I would expect on a $50,000 vehicle but what can I say, it sucks! :(

IMG_20180212_115018.jpg

IMG_20180212_115028.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Weird. That sucks. Almost looks like some kind of road debris. Scrape it off and see what you can sell it for on the street.

Here's a couple of vehicles I've looked at in the last month from the Detroit area. I tried to find one with a Tcase shot, but no luck. The picture of the ABS module almost looks like the same stuff as yours. Almost looks like something corrosive got on there. I know they've had some really shitty weather there lately.

det (1).jpg

det (2).jpg

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Looks like a sh!tload of salt/calcium chloride got on there. Makes sense during transport, those car carriers driving for 1000+ miles are basically driving through a salt spray shower the entire time

JeepFan

Looks like a sh!tload of salt/calcium chloride got on there. Makes sense during transport, those car carriers driving for 1000+ miles are basically driving through a salt spray shower the entire time

Definitely Road Salt! Really looks bad!

You’ve had that for over a week and it’s still that dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Blah Blah Blah! :p

That does look a little rough, for a new vehicle. Like the other guy said, road salt?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Definitely Road Salt. I guess our JL was shipped through a snow storm. :crazyeyes:

Guess they had to get your JL to you before me somehow :crazyeyes:

I told you it was a race! Remember, I WON! LOL! ;)

Dealership should have cleaned that up before delivery. Take it back

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Agreed! It's definitely road salt. I won't be bringing it to the dealer though. They really do not know how to detail a vehicle.

I plan on rinsing and power washing the undercarriage with a mixture of baking soda and car soap. It may not look much better when I'm done but at least the road salt will be neutralized.

JAGS

Damn, that really sucks. It's like they challenged you right out of the gate. I know you got this though! Rise up. Lol.

RMC2

I was thinking road salt right off the bat. Of course I spent an hour after work today washing it off my wife's car today for Valentines day. The Jeep at least got powerwashed.

That really sucks that they didn't wash it down better before they handed it over. Mine got washed every time I went in for a free oil change in Albuquerque. Kinda miss that. Georgia sure didn't do it.

JAGS

Hey tony. Were you able to address this? I’ve got a milder case of what is likely the same issue. I want to make sure I address properly and neutralize if in fact chemical/salt.

Thanks.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Deff looks like the road brine they use out east here as road salt. A really good washing will get it off

JAGS

Really glad you posted this up. Finally had a free day to address this. After taking a closer look, the issue was all along the engine, transmission, and Tcase.

Car soap. Small bristle brush. Wash mit. Then soap mixture sprayed/splashed where I could reach.

Hopefully that should work.