JL JOURNAL : First Drive - Taking our JL Wrangler Rubicon out for a Drive

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that Cindy and I ordered our brand new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited sight unseen and well before any dealership had one on their lot, neither of us has had a chance to test drive one or at least, not until we took possession of it. In this episode of the JL Journal, you'll get to ride along with us as we take our JL out for its very first drive, up to Lake Tahoe and you'll even get to hear some of our initial impressions of it. We hope you enjoy.

JL JOURNAL is a WAYALIFE Production with a focus on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. This YouTube video series will highlight every aspect of our Jeep JL Wrangler and of course, all the adventures that it takes us on. We hope that you'll follow us along on our journey.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the first impressions! I’m impressed just seeing it. Can’t wait to drive one.

What gear were you in going up the hill at 3000rpm?

Doing about 55-60, we were easily in 8th... maybe 7th from time to time.

EDIT, thinking back, maybe more like 7th.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that seems high to me. I was thinking 6th. I figured it would be around 2k at 60 in 8th.

It seems high to me as well. I don't think the dash shows what gear you're in unless you're in manual mode. Just for this, I'm gonna head up the the pass again and take specific notes. I'll be sure to post up my findings :yup:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It seems high to me as well. I don't think the dash shows what gear you're in unless you're in manual mode. Just for this, I'm gonna head up the the pass again and take specific notes. I'll be sure to post up my findings :yup:

You should be able to find that gear/speed again and then switch to manual mode to see exactly what gear your in. Like Overlanderjl I would assume 6th based off of rpm

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Also loved the video! I don’t think I heard you say it but how did the ride feel? More comfortable with the new shock location? I know it’s been a while since you have been in a stock jk to compare it to lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did u turn on the gear display in the cluster? 55-60 at 3k sounds more like 6th or even 5th. Climbing that hill while it’s learning your driving style it may be holding in lower gears since u were getting on it early on :)

You should be able to find that gear/speed again and then switch to manual mode to see exactly what gear your in. Like Overlanderjl I would assume 6th based off of rpm

After talking to Cindy about this, we definitely need to do this again and get accurate readings. Fortunately, the climb is just the next stop light down the road :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also loved the video! I don’t think I heard you say it but how did the ride feel? More comfortable with the new shock location? I know it’s been a while since you have been in a stock jk to compare it to lol

Honestly, the ride is AWESOME! Way smoother and more comfortable than our JKUR or JKUX were stock. Super impressed with the ride and to the point where I'm almost dreading swapping out suspension for aftermarket stuff :crazyeyes:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly, the ride is AWESOME! Way smoother and more comfortable than our JKUR or JKUX were stock. Super impressed with the ride and to the point where I'm almost dreading swapping out suspension for aftermarket stuff :crazyeyes:

Lol oh that’s awesome to hear! I’m gonna go try and take one for a test drive soon

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the cluster using the steering wheel arrows you can turn on the gear indicator. I forget exactly which setting it is but it will show up right beside the D. I think it may even be called gear indicator.

Uh, yeah :rolleyes2: :crazyeyes: :cheesy: