JL Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)

desertbuzz

I am well aware that the topic of this thread might be of little interest to some purists and some might even ridicule and mock it.
But it may not be such a frivolous thing for those of us whose Jeep is also their daily driver.

Every feature & spec seem to have been covered in nitty gritty details but I can't help noticing that no one seems to be paying attention a feature previously unimaginable in a Wrangler: the active noise cancellation.
It seems that there's more to it than initially thought.

It comes standard with the Alpine premium audio system and JEEP says it also includes acoustic laminated windshield glass. (Jeep's webstite - JL Features - Interior .... 1/2 way down the page). This could potentially make the choice of the premium audio much more appealing and worth the money for many whose Jeep is not only an off-road vehicle, but also a daily driver with many miles covered on road.
I own a 2012 modified JKU Sahara which typically sees a 70/30 ratio between off-road & on-road and I have only owned Jeeps (CJ / YJ / JK) since 1991.

@Eddy, Congrats on Jet Li :rock: .... You ordered the premium Alpine system. It'd be interesting to have real life comparison / effectiveness / Db measurements etc...etc...

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 12.38.32 PM.jpg

JKO 400.jpg

Last edited:

shotcoach

I’m not sure what OP’s question is, but I didn’t realize this was a thing until I saw this thread then went to the Jeep website and saw what was posted above. This might be dumb, but how is the active noise cancelling being done - similar to noise cancelling headphones? Some other method? I haven’t seen a ton of people saying their JL is significantly quieter than their JK. Maybe they have and I missed it. Is the JL with alpine system noticeably quieter?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
When Ford released their new body F150 in 2004, they supposedly had sprayed foam in the pillars to insulate the cabin from outside noise. Not sure if this is similar, but if so, I felt that it really worked.

Wale79

I havnt been in a JK in a while, but I can say that the sound system in my JL sounds very crisp and clear. The only noise I hear is from the top (wind). I got the panels aswell though it seems it doesn't help much as the panels are very thin and almost feel cheaply made. They look nice though, gives the inside top a finish look in my opinion. I dont know about the noise cancellation feature but i did notice right a way that the sound was much too nice for a jeep.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

desertbuzz

I’m not sure what OP’s question is, but I didn’t realize this was a thing until I saw this thread then went to the Jeep website and saw what was posted above. This might be dumb, but how is the active noise cancelling being done - similar to noise cancelling headphones? Some other method? I haven’t seen a ton of people saying their JL is significantly quieter than their JK. Maybe they have and I missed it. Is the JL with alpine system noticeably quieter?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YES @shotcoach ! Exactly like noise cancelling headphones.

And no @WJCO ... not by adding / spraying more sound deadening / absorbent material (or at least not only). This would be passive noise insulation, very different from Active Noise Cancellation, which works by microphones continuously analyzing cabin noise and generating counter waves. It is what makes luxury autos so much more quieter.
It only comes with the Alpine system. Also JLs with the Alpine system technically have a different windshield (Acoustic glass).
Also there are microphones in the Sports bar.

aug0211

I’ve read about horrible wind noise on the JLs, compared to JKs. Anyone here experienced that? If so, do we think there is actually ANC?

13_gecko_rubi

I’ve read about horrible wind noise on the JLs, compared to JKs. Anyone here experienced that? If so, do we think there is actually ANC?
ANC is only really effective in low frequency noises. It starts to lose it's effectiveness as you go higher in frequency range to things like wind noise. I've never noticed a wind noise issue where JL is worse than JK and have only seen a couple people comment that. Could be a pinched seal or a new jeep owner. That said ive only put a couple thousand miles on them so not a ton of experience yet. It's still a box on wheels with a removeable top and doors so some wind noise will always exist.

Sent via....

aug0211

ANC is only really effective in low frequency noises. It starts to lose it's effectiveness as you go higher in frequency range to things like wind noise. I've never noticed a wind noise issue where JL is worse than JK and have only seen a couple people comment that. Could be a pinched seal or a new jeep owner. That said ive only put a couple thousand miles on them so not a ton of experience yet. It's still a box on wheels with a removeable top and doors so some wind noise will always exist.

Sent via....

Thanks Gecko!

The post I had read was a JK owner who was test driving JLs and complaining that the wind noise at highway speeds was significantly increased.

I guess I need to drive one myself to see (thing is, I want to order a 2.0T so there’s no sense in dealing with the dealer hassle to go test drive one until they’re on the lot... but I also prefer to order before they’re on the lots 😁).

desertbuzz

Sent via....

I sincerely doubt that wind noise on JLs could be worse than on JKs :D :D (especially if comparing hardtop to hardtop)... As 13_gecko_rubi said , probably a Jeep Wrangler novice or a bad seal or maybe comparing soft top or the new power top with a hardtop JK.... who knows.
In any case ANC and laminated acoustic windshield come only with the Alpine premium system.

JAGS

Is there any RDT in the premium windshield. Rock deflection technology. Now that would be something. [emoji16]

aug0211

Is there any RDT in the premium windshield. Rock deflection technology. Now that would be something. [emoji16]

Lol. In all seriousness, I’ll be having mine protected this time around. My dad owns a company that sells a material to protect these windshields from rocks.

desertbuzz

Unfortunately not. But on my JKU I protected the 2nd windshield with 3M's Protective film against stones and cracks. It's the best and it's crystal clear.

strifehero

Thank you thank you for this thread. One of the big pushes that got me out of my ‘15 into a JL was the solid and quiet nature of everything. This is my 5th Wrangler and I have never felt so thrilled in one. It is very quiet while driving (only experience is test drives, but one of the things I paid most attention to, and only in hard tops) and the ANC is intriguing to me, hoping it boosts the opportunity to actually talk with my wife when we get to sneak away from the kids and not have to talk the family car if we want to hear each other. Excited to hear some real-world feedback here.

Onlyone

I have had 2 JK’s and will say this JL is leaps and bounds more comfy, faster, smoother and all around better. But. I have to confirm others thoughts on wind noise. I wouldn’t say it’s worse but it’s
definitely not better. It does have a lot of wind noise I wasn’t expecting. I have checked seals, there is no leaks I can feel and no water leaks. It’s just not better. That is my only complaint so far.

strifehero

I have had 2 JK’s and will say this JL is leaps and bounds more comfy, faster, smoother and all around better. But. I have to confirm others thoughts on wind noise. I wouldn’t say it’s worse but it’s
definitely not better. It does have a lot of wind noise I wasn’t expecting. I have checked seals, there is no leaks I can feel and no water leaks. It’s just not better. That is my only complaint so far.

Interesting. Not super excited to read this.