JL Steel bumpers

justin mazzon

Is it worth ordering the steel bumpers on a new JL or just replacing the composite ones with after market bumpers?

Last edited:

JAGS

If you like the looks of the factory bumpers and plan to run them for a while, then they would be a good choice. If you prefer the look of aftermarket, then you have decision. $1300 for the set of factory steel. Could you sell them used and get your money back.

Your call in the end. Everyone's tastes, budgets, opinions, Jeep usage is very different.

justin mazzon

Yes I like the look of the factory steel bumpers especially the front. The detail sheet shows a price of $1300 but you are required to order the lighting group so the real price is $2100 and that doesn't include a heavier bracket for a larger tire.

Hardest trail I would be running is the Rubicon once every other year.

Last edited:

RMC2

I have been curious if JK bumpers will match up (bolt holes). I like the new bumpers but would like something stouter because I can't avoid bumping into things - at the mall.

Eric1238

Rear Bumper

Is the rear bumper set up to accept a tire carrier like the hard rock and recon are ready for the AEV carrier?

Thanks!

13_gecko_rubi

Is the rear bumper set up to accept a tire carrier like the hard rock and recon are ready for the AEV carrier?

Thanks!
If you look at the evolution of the JK, the first steel bumpers offered many year ago were made by AEV so they were made to accept their tire carrier. When the 10th anniversary/x/hard rock/recon (damn they changed the name a lot) bumpers were made they also supported it as there was history there so was easy to put the hole where needed.

Now for JL obviously there was no aftermarket carrier available as it was designed so there is no hole there for one as there was nothing to provision for.

Sent via....

JLU_RUBI

If you look at the evolution of the JK, the first steel bumpers offered many year ago were made by AEV so they were made to accept their tire carrier. When the 10th anniversary/x/hard rock/recon (damn they changed the name a lot) bumpers were made they also supported it as there was history there so was easy to put the hole where needed.

Now for JL obviously there was no aftermarket carrier available as it was designed so there is no hole there for one as there was nothing to provision for.

Sent via....
Many companies (Mopar included) have moved to a HD hinged tire carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JLU_RUBI

What are you getting at? That’s on the JK that is 11 years old. The JL is brand new.

Mopar has a hinged tire carrier for larger tires for the JL. It’s already in their catalog and you can order it. I’m sure others will follow.

I was simply making an observation about the new bumpers not having a hole for an aftermarket carrier built in.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mopar has a hinged tire carrier for larger tires for the JL. It’s already in their catalog and you can order it. I’m sure others will follow.

I was simply making an observation about the new bumpers not having a hole for an aftermarket carrier built in.

If they could have, Jeep would have made a swing out tire carrier. In fact, Jeep had intended to make rear bumper with swing out tire carriers even on the JK but ran into problems with government regulations regarding tail light visibility. In fact, this is the reason why JK Rubicons with steel bumpers have a cap where the spindle would have extended from. It was easier to just cap it off than to redesign the whole bumper.

While I do think hinged tire carriers are an acceptable solution, I still would prefer to take the weight off the tail gate and put it on the frame. But then, that's just me.

thblkprl

If they could have, Jeep would have made a swing out tire carrier. In fact, Jeep had intended to make rear bumper with swing out tire carriers even on the JK but ran into problems with government regulations regarding tail light visibility. In fact, this is the reason why JK Rubicons with steel bumpers have a cap where the spindle would have extended from. It was easier to just cap it off than to redesign the whole bumper.

While I do think hinged tire carriers are an acceptable solution, I still would prefer to take the weight off the tail gate and put it on the frame. But then, that's just me.

Personally, I agree. For me, it lessons the value of the steel bumper group to know that I would be limited to tailgate reinforcement without cutting at the bumper. I really liked the provision for an after-market carrier on the JK 10A style bumpers, even if it was limited to one manufacturer.

It is also worth noting that the front "winch ready" bumper, as usual, does not come with a winch plate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I agree. For me, it lessons the value of the steel bumper group to know that I would be limited to tailgate reinforcement without cutting at the bumper. I really liked the provision for an after-market carrier on the JK 10A style bumpers, even if it was limited to one manufacturer.

It is also worth noting that the front "winch ready" bumper, as usual, does not come with a winch plate.

LOL!! Thank you for reminding me that I need to order up a winch plate :crazyeyes:

JLU_RUBI

good point on the bumper and the winch plate.

That being said I hate OEM products that limit to one particular manufacturer. Especially AEV stuff.

JAGS

What. Nutserts into your pretty new JL. It's too soon!! [emoji23][emoji23]

JL2018

LOL!! Thank you for reminding me that I need to order up a winch plate :crazyeyes:

I'm seeing on other forums that you cant use the warn zeon because of size constraints with the JLUR steel bumper. is this true? I was going to buy a zeon 10

Bsimon187

I'm seeing on other forums that you cant use the warn zeon because of size constraints with the JLUR steel bumper. is this true? I was going to buy a zeon 10

Yes it is. They are making a new plate and a winch where the handle only turns 90 degrees vs 180. On the current model the clutch handle will hit and not allow for it to be fully turned.

I was told it will be to market within a few weeks.