Will 35s fit or not without a lift

wanderer

So there seems to be a bit of confusion on this Meyer something says no that 33 almost rub at full stuff not sure if the sway bar is even disconnected and FCA says they fit. Then again there are 35s. And 315 -70 -17 s “35” So what is the real story ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So there seems to be a bit of confusion on this Meyer something says no that 33 almost rub at full stuff not sure if the sway bar is even disconnected and FCA says they fit. Then again there are 35s. And 315 -70 -17 s “35” So what is the real story ?

Don't know who the hell Meyer is but the JL Rubicons have higher fenders from the factory. You can easily fit 35's on it for street use. Off road, you would want a small lift to help clear without any rubbing.

NFRs2000NYC

From what I've seen on the internets, 35s at full stuff AND full turn on the steering wheel on stock wheels WILL rub the inner fender. Lower offset wheels MAY just give you enough clearance, but it seems slight fender liner contact is probable. Like Eddie said, you'll probably want to run a small leveling kit to clear 35s, and will probably need a 2-2.5" to clear 37s. This is for heavy offroad use with full flex while disconnected. For street use and graded roads, you would have no problems.

NFRs2000NYC

Steering wheel isn't cut, not sure what that video proves....clearly they rub front and rear even with 3.5 backspacing...but the good news is it looks like a 2.5" lift will clear 37s. 35s with a 2" seem to clear as well.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Steering wheel isn't cut, not sure what that video proves....clearly they rub front and rear even with 3.5 backspacing...but the good news is it looks like a 2.5" lift will clear 37s. 35s with a 2" seem to clear as well.
Remember lower backspacing isn't always better. When u push wheel out on full flex it is further away from centerline so the tire is further out and hits edge of flare. Suck that tire in an inch and it goes up inside the flare.

Steering wise the less and less backspacing u also get a large fore aft swing. Worse scrub. And more likely to hit back into the flares. Same theory as a long arm vs short arm, the arc changes. When u use deeper backspacing the tire pivots around the knuckle and doesn't move fore aft as much. It's all tradeoffs. In the wide rubi axle some 37s fit with 4.5bs just fine. It's going to vary a lot tire to tire as we all know the sizes range a lot. I'd think if not 4.5 maybe a 4 gets u a little more. Pushing it out there further and further isn't always better contrary to internet folklore.

Eddie do u still have some chamber pros in 5x5? Those may be ideal if 4.5 doesn't work.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Remember lower backspacing isn't always better. When u push wheel out on full flex it is further away from centerline so the tire is further out and hits edge of flare. Suck that tire in an inch and it goes up inside the flare.

Steering wise the less and less backspacing u also get a large fore aft swing. Worse scrub. And more likely to hit back into the flares. Same theory as a long arm vs short arm, the arc changes. When u use deeper backspacing the tire pivots around the knuckle and doesn't move fore aft as much. It's all tradeoffs. In the wide rubi axle some 37s fit with 4.5bs just fine. It's going to vary a lot tire to tire as we all know the sizes range a lot. I'd think if not 4.5 maybe a 4 gets u a little more. Pushing it out there further and further isn't always better contrary to internet folklore.

Couldn't have said it better! As you know, it's one of the biggest reasons why we were so eager to run 72.5" Dynatracs on Rubicat. :yup:

Eddie do u still have some chamber pros in 5x5? Those may be ideal if 4.5 doesn't work.

I do but unfortunately, they're for a 5x5.5. I do have a set of Slabs in a 5x5 but then, they're Slabs with 3.5" of back spacing :rolleyes2:

Guess I'll be looking at getting new wheels :crazyeyes:

TrailHunter

This was posted by EVO on FB..... That looks perfect! 37’s on a 2.5 lift!!

This JL is really starting to piss me off! Lol

IMG_6325.JPG

aug0211

Non-Rubi Max Without Lift?

Hi All,

First post here; been lurking and thinking of moving over here from another forum - seems more active here for JL topics :)

I’m trying to avoid creating another thread, but if it’s better to start a fresh one just let me know.

On my ‘14 JKU Sahara, I ran 285/75/17 Duratracs on Pintlers without a lift - slight trimming of the air dam; no rubbing.

I’m wondering if there’s any chance I can get away with 315s or 35s on a new JL Sahara on the same wheels, without a lift. Basically, the same thing I did on my ‘14, but bumping up the tires a bit.

Pintlers have a BS of 5.2 with an offset of 10 mm.

If not possible with Pintlers, is there another wheel option to consider? Or is this just a no-go without a lift?

Thanks!

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Hi All,

First post here; been lurking and thinking of moving over here from another forum - seems more active here for JL topics :)

I’m trying to avoid creating another thread, but if it’s better to start a fresh one just let me know.

On my ‘14 JKU Sahara, I ran 285/75/17 Duratracs on Pintlers without a lift - slight trimming of the air dam; no rubbing.

I’m wondering if there’s any chance I can get away with 315s or 35s on a new JL Sahara on the same wheels, without a lift. Basically, the same thing I did on my ‘14, but bumping up the tires a bit.

Pintlers have a BS of 5.2 with an offset of 10 mm.

If not possible with Pintlers, is there another wheel option to consider? Or is this just a no-go without a lift?

Thanks!
On a JL Sahara with Pintlers you can probably stick some 35s on it and be fine on road. Flexing it, it will rub bad, you'll need a lift.

Sent via....

aug0211

Decisions, decisions...

I’m a soccer dad driver (literally, actually) - highway driving and gravel parking lots. I had my JK off the beaten path maybe twice, just driving through ungroomed grass/dirt; campsite kind of stuff - nothing close to serious. The JL has the same future, most likely.

Go with the 35s and no lift and I’ll be fine? Or play it safe and stick to 33s... or bite the bullet and do a lift on 35s?

I prefer 35s for the look, to be honest - but don’t want to mess with a lift (or make it more painful to get the 2 kids in and out for me/wife). I also am not a huge fan of knowing I *can’t* do something if I come across something and am severely limited on 35s without the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Decisions, decisions...

I’m a soccer dad driver (literally, actually) - highway driving and gravel parking lots. I had my JK off the beaten path maybe twice, just driving through ungroomed grass/dirt; campsite kind of stuff - nothing close to serious. The JL has the same future, most likely.

Go with the 35s and no lift and I’ll be fine? Or play it safe and stick to 33s... or bite the bullet and do a lift on 35s?

I prefer 35s for the look, to be honest - but don’t want to mess with a lift (or make it more painful to get the 2 kids in and out for me/wife). I also am not a huge fan of knowing I *can’t* do something if I come across something and am severely limited on 35s without the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
You could add bump stop extensions to.keep.it from rubbing. Will just limit your uptravel.

Sent via....