HYBRID JL Wrangler - Would You Want One?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For sure, Jeep has been kicking around the idea of an electric or hybrid Wrangler for quite some time now and it's far from anything new but a recent article published on Autoblog had Jeep's global chief Mike Manley bringing it back to the forefront. Of course, my question to you is, would you want one?

main.php

A hybrid Jeep Wrangler could be in the cards for new generation

Jeep could make a hybrid version of its iconic off-roader, the Wrangler, the head of the Jeep brand suggested in an interview with Autoblog.

Speaking this week on the floor of the Detroit Auto Show, Jeep's global chief Mike Manley said "the hybridization could actually help Wrangler," noting it could improve torque distribution, a critical element for four-wheel drive vehicles.

Manley added, "Electrification, absolutely. I could see Wrangler being a form of electric." The Jeep boss didn't offer further details, though a hybrid Wrangler has been rumored for years.

The next-generation off-roader is due for the 2018 model year, which means a reveal is imminent. Hybrid technology would likely be used to assist the Wrangler's performance and efficiency, rather than as a total fuel-economy play. The next-gen Wrangler is expected to have LED lights, updated and more aerodynamic design, and greater use of aluminum. A turbo four-cylinder gasoline engine, a diesel engine, and an eight-speed automatic transmission are also among the powertrain rumors, though the diesel may be in jeopardy after the EPA accused FCA US of installing emission-control software on its EcoDiesels.

Despite the changes, this new Jeep will be instantly recognizable as a Wrangler, Manley told us. "It's the icon of our brand."

Full article published here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/13/...ias-2017-interview/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

Attachments

• Jeep JL Photo copy.jpg
    Jeep JL Photo copy.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7259.jpg
    IMG_7259.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7261.jpg
    IMG_7261.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7262.jpg
    IMG_7262.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7260.jpg
    IMG_7260.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 1
Id be good with a Hybrid Wrangler for folks who do a lot of city driving, but still want a capable weekend toy. I think an all electric Wrangler would be a mistake personally. In my opinion, there are just too many drawbacks to most all electric vehicles, and I would hate to see a Wrangler stuck out on a trail with no where to 'charge'. I feel they need to fix the typical range and recharge issues first. The only electric vehicle I would spend my money on if I were looking for something like that would be a Tesla, and those are crazy expensive!

Trail JL

I wouldn't want it in the Wrangler personally even though better gas mileage is appealing being that I get 16 miles to the gallon correctly in my Jeep. But had they made a Hybrid Renegade I probably would've bought one last year for M-F driving.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ozmarty

Yes definitely. I have my first hybrid car (Toyota) and I'm really impressed with the torque and fuel economy. This is the future.