Anyone getting proximity option?

dfelicia

I know it’s only a few hundred bucks, and I love this feature on my Yukon, but does it make any sense on a car that won’t have doors on it during the summer? Are you guys getting it?

Also, how about the convenience group with manual transmission. No remote start, but I want the garage door opener. Worth it to not have to keep an old opener bouncing around for the next 10 years?

Update: I went ahead and ordered it. Eff it, what’s a few more hundred bucks in the grand scheme of things? Also, it turns out that the garage door opener is standard on a Rubi, so moot issue. Now begins the real wait!

Last edited:

JIMBOX

:D Yeah, I agree, I'm getting the manual also and I WANT THE GARAGE DOOD OPENER !!

Has always made it FAST/EASY on my angled driveway in the rain/snow-

Whatever

:wings::cheesy: JIMBO

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know it’s only a few hundred bucks, and I love this feature on my Yukon, but does it make any sense on a car that won’t have doors on it during the summer? Are you guys getting it?

Also, how about the convenience group with manual transmission. No remote start, but I want the garage door opener. Worth it to not have to keep an old opener bouncing around for the next 10 years?

I opted to not get the proximity option. The JL has a lot better visibility and a rear cam now so I didn't feel the need for it. Also, I wasn't sure how it'd effect other mods in the future.

Of course, I ordered up an auto and got remote start with the cold weather group. :yup:

Tank

Wait, are we talking about the keyless entry proximity sensor or the back-up sensors in the bumpers? I thought we were talking about the door handles... I thought I had ordered the door proximity sensors as a part of a package, but now see they are listed separately on the build and price app. Is this something that could be added after the fact by the dealer, just in case there was a glitch in ordering?

13_gecko_rubi

Wait, are we talking about the keyless entry proximity sensor or the back-up sensors in the bumpers? I thought we were talking about the door handles... I thought I had ordered the door proximity sensors as a part of a package, but now see they are listed separately on the build and price app. Is this something that could be added after the fact by the dealer, just in case there was a glitch in ordering?

No you cannot add those after. Your dealer can’t probably still edit your order if you want them.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Tank

Yeah, my dealer says no changes whatsoever can be made once it hits D1, which was three days after my order was placed. Jeep.com tells me the only ones who can help are at the dealer. I’m not sure what to believe anymore. Surely it can be done, no?

13_gecko_rubi

Yeah, my dealer says no changes whatsoever can be made once it hits D1, which was three days after my order was placed. Jeep.com tells me the only ones who can help are at the dealer. I’m not sure what to believe anymore. Surely it can be done, no?

Once it is in D1 it is locked in and cannot be changed by dealer. But the dealer can make a phone call to their business center and can request to have it changed. This will require pulling it out of D1, making change, then rescheduling it. Typically will delay build a few weeks. As soon as they pull it out everything else in D1 will automatically slide in front of it. If you will regret not doing it, ask them to change it and live with delay.

shotcoach

I got the proximity option, where you get in by touching the handle when the fob is nearby, but I’m not sure about it. I had the standard jeeper thought “that’s just one more thing that could go wrong out on the trail”, but I have to figure that there is a manual override. (I don’t know - no vehicle I own has this option) And I figured since its push button starting now that I’ll appreciate not getting the fob out of my pocket all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

I got the proximity option, where you get in by touching the handle when the fob is nearby, but I’m not sure about it. I had the standard jeeper thought “that’s just one more thing that could go wrong out on the trail”, but I have to figure that there is a manual override. (I don’t know - no vehicle I own has this option) And I figured since its push button starting now that I’ll appreciate not getting the fob out of my pocket all the time.

Yes there is a pushbutton on the door handle you press to lock it. Or to unlock it you just reach behind handle and pull out and it will unlock and open. If for some reason something ever went wrong you just unlock door with key or use the unlock button on fob and door will work same as a normal door handle. With the pushbutton you are right, it’s nice to never need to get your key out.

One thing to watch is many people put there hand inside door handle and push the button to lock. It won’t work. As when you put hand inside door it unlocks. Just push button with hand not inside handle to lock. Most folks figure it out real soon, just a pointer.

Same. I wasn’t going to get it but my dealer reminded me that in the winter when I remote start and walk out in my gloves, I’ll regret not having it. Being as it’s minus five this morning . . .

aug0211

How’s is everyone’s experience with this so far? I read one post that indicated it might be a bit slow/inconsistent?

I have this on my ‘14 Summit and also on my wife’s ‘13 X5, and I’ll admit that it’s a bit smoother on the X5 than the Summit. Hopefully, it’s better on the newer JL?

How’s is everyone’s experience with this so far? I read one post that indicated it might be a bit slow/inconsistent?

I have this on my ‘14 Summit and also on my wife’s ‘13 X5, and I’ll admit that it’s a bit smoother on the X5 than the Summit. Hopefully, it’s better on the newer JL?

So far I LOVE it. In winter when I’m gloved up, have an overcoat on and buttoned up, and the key was in my jeans, I was so nice just to walk up to the door.

It’s so weird not needing a key at all. I wish I could put a chip in my pinky knuckle or something, though, because I’m going to forget the key fob exists and lose it.