JL T-case??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea what Mel is talking about ? Anyone ??

You mean in English? :crazyeyes:

Not really sure. I thought the JL was gonna come with the same NV-241. If it were a programming issue, there would be no need to crack it open but if something has to come out, go in or be replaced, that would be a bummer.

Anyone else who might be in the know care to chime in? :crazyeyes:

JTCO

Meme King
Not sure what would be needed. But that picture itself I can assume is not a JL tcase. Nothing abnormal looking in there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what would be needed. But that picture itself I can assume is not a JL tcase. Nothing abnormal looking in there.

Yeah, no way that's a JL case. I talked to Chris and he was wondering if maybe there was a slip yoke again but I don't recall seeing one. I was wondering if maybe they are talking about the Selec-trac :thinking:

Piginajeep

Yeah, no way that's a JL case. I talked to Chris and he was wondering if maybe there was a slip yoke again but I don't recall seeing one. I was wondering if maybe they are talking about the Selec-trac :thinking:

If it is, can you go ahead and do a write up. I used your SYE write up install on my TJ in 2004.

2012 JK8
1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw this on FB too...

“Has to do with eliminating the Axle disconnect on the front axle and drive shaft engagement and tcase shifting”

I have no clue what that means... lol

Ah, wouldn't surprise me if it had something to do with the FAD. Damn!

JTCO

Meme King
No slip yoke. This is the only picture I could find that you took showing that area. I still can't see how the fad couldn't be bypassed and requiring splitting a tcase. We shall see.

20171130002134-5769e32c.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No slip yoke. This is the only picture I could find that you took showing that area. I still can't see how the fad couldn't be bypassed and requiring splitting a tcase. We shall see.

I'd have to agree. Not like the FAD is physically connected to the t-case.

JTCO

Meme King
I don't see why you couldn't just remove the FAD actuator from the housing (leave it plugged into the harness) and zip tire the whole thing up to the frame, lol. Any software in the module will still detect that the actuator is doing it's job. Unless there is a speed sensor that has to sense revolutions or something. Meanwhile you've got a brand new Dynatrac axle underneath with no FAD.

13_gecko_rubi

I don't see why you couldn't just remove the FAD actuator from the housing (leave it plugged into the harness) and zip tire the whole thing up to the frame, lol. Any software in the module will still detect that the actuator is doing it's job. Unless there is a speed sensor that has to sense revolutions or something. Meanwhile you've got a brand new Dynatrac axle underneath with no FAD.
You can try the fad electronics easily. Otis a dumb device with a power feed and a return signal like the lockers, it isnt a smart device like the sway bar.

It is hard to explain what/why you need to make a small change via writing. There is a synchro/interlock in tcase to spin up the front driveshaft to match rear before allowing tcase into 4wd.

A good way to see what I mean is if u have a jk with front hubs. Unlock the hubs and go cruising down road. The front driveshaft won't be spinning, try to yank your tcase in 4wd and you will hear a horrible grinding noise as the rear of the tcase is spinning at road speed and the front is sitting still. This is why it's there as with fad the front driveshaft isn't spinning and needs to get up to speed before locking the tcase.

Sent via....

8wr_zj

The new system on the JL is almost identical to the system used on the newer 2500/3500 RAM trucks. There are companies that already make solid axle shafts that will eliminate the FAD on the 2500/3500. I think this will become a standard MOD for anyone that beats on the JL on the trail. Basically the FAD function is to disconnect the right hand side axle shaft from the rest of the drive train. This allows the left axle shaft and spider gears spin in the housing not the ring and pinion or the front driveshaft. I believe the FAD helps with MPG numbers on the JL.

Here is a link on cumminsforum.com that has more information on the ram trucks.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/2034394-front-axle-disconnect.html