Soft top or hard top? Or both when ordering

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy and I have always ordered both hard and soft tops in the past and we did so again with our JL. That being said, we've always ended up selling all our hard tops as we never seemed to run them so, maybe it was a waste to do it again. The JL soft top really is amazingly easy to use and the twill top is oh so nice :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does the new hard top still needs a couple of hands to remove? I’m leaning more soft top.

You can remove the 2 Freedom panels by yourself but the back half is near impossible to remove without some help. I say "near" because it can be done and I have done it on my JK but dear lord, it is very very hard to do especially if you have a lift installed. You can rig up a hoist system in your garage if you have the space and that's what I ended up doing.

Eaglesfly

You can remove the 2 Freedom panels by yourself but the back half is near impossible to remove without some help. I say "near" because it can be done and I have done it on my JK but dear lord, it is very very hard to do especially if you have a lift installed. You can rig up a hoist system in your garage if you have the space and that's what I ended up doing.

Thanks for your help!! I’m definitely learning from this forum to make the right decision!! Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

jolonghorn

Does the “Dual Top Group” include the black hard top and the regular soft top, or the premium soft top? Is there a way to get the body colored hard top and the premium soft top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does the “Dual Top Group” include the black hard top and the regular soft top, or the premium soft top? Is there a way to get the body colored hard top and the premium soft top?

I couldn't tell you for sure but when we were ordering our JL, we were asked if we wanted a color matched top or just black. We were never given a choice of soft top fabric but I did get confirmation from a trusted source that we were getting the twill fabric with our dual top option.

jdpatt12

When I bought my jk it had both and I sold the soft top back to the dealer for side steps and heated seats. It was a smart decision for me. I now wish I had keep the soft top. I plan on getting the dual tops when I get my JL

13_gecko_rubi

It depends which model you get. Different tops are available on Sport vs Rubicon. The dealers have all the info now unlike early orders.

One other bonus is the dual top now comes in a box in the rear of the Jeep. It is no longer installed under the hardtop which required removing hard top to take it out on the JK. The downside is if you get the dual top make sure you don't need to put someone in backseat at pickup as it is folded down to fit the soft top in it.

Sent via....

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I agree, wholeheartedly. It can be done, but I don’t recommend it.

I run soft tops only, on my JK. The dual top option would be best, for someone that hasn’t decided between tops. Surprisingly, there are a lot of people that like to run hard tops.

jolonghorn

Anyone have thoughts about black top v body colored? My old TJ Sahara had a tan top and it ended up fading quite a bit over time. Do the black tops have a similar problem?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have thoughts about black top v body colored? My old TJ Sahara had a tan top and it ended up fading quite a bit over time. Do the black tops have a similar problem?

The new color matched tops are painted just like the Jeep. In other words, you can polish it and keep it nice just like the rest of your Jeep. I prefer the black tops though and have found them to do well even over time.

SomeLikeItDirty

I have scraped the black off my black unpainted hard top a few times. Usually when putting it on or taking it off. It’s nice to be able to use a black sharpie to hide scratches. I like hard tops too to prevent theft and for better insulation.

I have put it on and taken it off on my own before but I’m asking to get injured. And it’s an Unlimited and I workout. Possible but not easy. There are YouTube videos for tips.

I have only had a hard top jk. How is visibility during rain out the back with the soft top?

As for color, I prefer the black hard top because I don't mind it getting scratched as much by plants and whatnot off-road as much. I have issues paying to make something look nicer when I know it is going to scrape against plants.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have only had a hard top jk. How is visibility during rain out the back with the soft top?

As for color, I prefer the black hard top because I don't mind it getting scratched as much by plants and whatnot off-road as much. I have issues paying to make something look nicer when I know it is going to scrape against plants.

Can’t see over my spare, so it doesn’t matter.