JL Wrangler WIDER Axles

Tank

I was wondering about the axles on the Rubicons. It isn’t clear to me if they will all come with the wide axles, or if these are an option(s) that I will have to order proactively. I still have time to modify my order; it’s important that I get it right before it’s too late. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks!

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
I was under the impression that the Rubicon axles are both (front and rear) a newer generation Dana 44 and there are no other options. As in they're all the same for the Rubicons.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Axles

So the Sport and Sahara JL axles are ~1” wider than a JK. The JL rubicon axles are another ~1.5” wider than the JL Sport/Sahara. So vs JK the JL rubicon are ~2.5” wider. Around 68” wide.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

You know, with almost full width axles and narrower flares that sit higher, I think that’s why the Rubicons look so damn good and right from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

You know, with almost full width axles and narrower flares that sit higher, I think that’s why the Rubicons look so damn good and right from the factory.

Ya its nuts! They are almost as wide as your pro rocks in moby. It is also why the steering is ~45 deg on the JL. This is why I said earlier that 3.5 bs wheels likely won’t be needed on the JL even with 37s. 40s or bigger you shouldn’t be running the stock axles anyway but I’m betting 70-72 becomes the new “full width”size on JL for 40s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya its nuts! They are almost as wide as your pro rocks in moby. It is also why the steering is ~45 deg on the JL. This is why I said earlier that 3.5 bs wheels likely won’t be needed on the JL even with 37s. 40s or bigger you shouldn’t be running the stock axles anyway but I’m betting 70-72 becomes the new “full width”size on JL for 40s.

OR, maybe 72.5” like what we’re running on Rubicat and what you’ve been looking at. [emoji12]

20170318130207-279764e8.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I must say though, I am quite impressed with those jack stands and that you can do all this in your garage. It’s been long enough that I can’t even remember what it was like to have to work like that. [emoji12]

IMG_7918.jpg

13_gecko_rubi

I must say though, I am quite impressed with those jack stands and that you can do all this in your garage. It’s been long enough that I can’t even remember what it was like to have to work like that. [emoji12]

View attachment 614

Ya they are working great. Can even spin them up with the cranks. They are rated at 2500 per stand. The lift would be great! The worse part is it is 20F here. Joys of living in MI lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Tank

Thanks, Geko. So those were the data that drove my question. All Rubicons will come with that wider axle length as a standard feature, without having to order a specific option?

So the Sport and Sahara JL axles are ~1” wider than a JK. The JL rubicon axles are another ~1.5” wider than the JL Sport/Sahara. So vs JK the JL rubicon are ~2.5” wider. Around 68” wide.