JL JOURNAL : SYNERGY Heavy Duty Tie Rod / Drag Link / Stabilizer Relocation Install

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, we developed a slight steering wobbled on our Jeep JL Wrangler and one that was especially noticeable when it was cold out. Mind you, this was far from being the dreaded "death wobble" but it was still something we wanted to address and for the most part, was able to mitigate it by installing a new front track bar. However, as we were going through all the possible problem spots to track down this wobble, we found that the tie-rod end on our drag link, right where it connects to the pitman arm, was in fact completely worn out. Needless to say, this was something we've been wanting to address for a while now and after talking to our good friends over at Synergy Manufacturing, they were kind enough to send us their heavy duty tie-rod, drag link and steering stabilizer relocation kit. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see just how easy it is to install all three.

Beef Up the Steering on your JL Wrangler
Synergy Jeep JL Heavy Duty Drag Link Kit
https://amzn.to/2WqaPNv

Synergy Jeep JL Heavy Duty Tie Rod
https://amzn.to/2Wq6aLE

Synergy Jeep JL Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit
https://amzn.to/2us4ll4

What You Will Need
• 13, 18, 19, 21, 22mm Socket & Wrench
• Ratchet
• 3/16, 1/4" Allen Wrench or Bit
• Ft. Lb. Torque Wrench
• Crescent Wrench
• Floor Jack
• (2) Jack Stands
• Pickle Fork
• 3 lb. Hammer
• Pliers
• Tape Measure
• Drill
• 1/2" Metal Drilling Bit
• Tie-Down Strap

Reasons to Want Synergy Steering Components on Your JL Wrangler
Synergy Mfg. Drag Link
• 1.5" x .25" wall 1026 DOM
• Double Adjusters for easy alignment/steering wheel adjustments (link does not have to be removed after it is bolted in to adjust)
• Single plane TRE at Pitman arm side to eliminate factory drag link flop
• Same part will work in factory and flipped high steer configurations

Synergy Mfg. Tie Rod
• 1.5" x .25" wall 4130 Chromoly
• Heat treated after the bending operation to stress relive and then harden (similar to how an axle shaft is heat treated) This process almost doubles the strength of the regular normalized material.
• Double Adjusters for easy alignment/steering wheel adjustments (tie rod does not have to be removed after its bolted in to adjust)
• Single plane TRE at one end to eliminate link flop
• Optional high mount stabilizer relocation

TRE's
• Designed based off of a GM 1-Ton TRE
• Massive 1-14 Threads
• Preloaded internal spring designed to keep the joint tight as the internal bearing wears
• Full metal on metal design eliminating the factory Nylon bearing race that commonly fails
• Specially designed grease groves in ball OD to allow for maximum lubrication
• Forged bearing housing made from heat treated 1018
• Ball stud (larger than stock TRE) forged from 4140 and heat treated
• Tear/wear resistant NBR grease boots
• Smalley Spirolox style boot retaining clips
• Same TRE (4163-L) can be carried as a spare and work on ALL ends of both the drag link and tie rod
• Replacement TRE costs just $30 each

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

:cool:

RMC2

Thanks for another write up. I’m starting to think some of what we thought were beefy parts on the JL, are not holding up. Not that you baby your stuff when you’re going to mall, I don’t think you have been that hard on Jet Li.

Jeeeep

Where's the beef!! thought I was getting 100% angus and it's looking like I got tofu :icon_crazy:

dammit, no savings on building out JL...in the end it's the same replacement components as the JK...there goes the budget :doh:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Great video. Those components seem pretty damn stout. Is there any word on a Synergy front track bar relocation bracket?

GCM 2.0

Another good video!

Side note, the fact that you get the tightening of the lug nuts to mesh with the music in the background are the things that separate you guys from others. Nice work!

I am certain the video is the usual work of incredibly informative footage......but this post right here is the only reason I am now going to watch it. Adam, you had me at “tightening of the lug nuts to mesh with music”.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for another write up. I’m starting to think some of what we thought were beefy parts on the JL, are not holding up. Not that you baby your stuff when you’re going to mall, I don’t think you have been that hard on Jet Li.

Clearly, a lot of what we've been seeing LOOKS a lot bigger and better but of course, looks aren't everything. :rolleyes2:

Where's the beef!! thought I was getting 100% angus and it's looking like I got tofu :icon_crazy:

dammit, no savings on building out JL...in the end it's the same replacement components as the JK...there goes the budget :doh:

:cheesy: There's never getting around it or at least, when it comes to building up a Jeep. :crazyeyes:

Great video. Very informative. Well-designed product.

Thanks! Been very happy with how they've been performing. :yup:

Great video, thanks for posting up Eddie/Cindy!

You bet! You guys have made a really nice drag link, tie rod and steering stabilizer relocation kit and we really do appreciate your help :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. Those components seem pretty damn stout. Is there any word on a Synergy front track bar relocation bracket?

There should be one available now or any day now. Because we have a ProRock 44, we'd have to get one of their weld on kits and hope to do that sometime.

Another good video!

Side note, the fact that you get the tightening of the lug nuts to mesh with the music in the background are the things that separate you guys from others. Nice work!

I am certain the video is the usual work of incredibly informative footage......but this post right here is the only reason I am now going to watch it. Adam, you had me at “tightening of the lug nuts to mesh with music”.

:cheesy: You guys are just too much :crazyeyes: :D

Did the trackbar with the addition of the drag link and tie rod provide the final cure for your front wobble?

The track bar alone did wonders for fixing our wobble but this steering system did a great job of making everything feel even tighter. I'm sure the replacing the drag link was a big part of this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back from Moab and thanks for the reply. Looks like I’ll be doing g a Synergy install soon. Glad it solved the wobble and made the steering system even tighter.

Thanks! It's been a hell of a long 2 weeks away from home and we're glad to be back. After testing it out over 2,000 miles and wheeling it in Moab, I can say that I'm very happy with what we installed :)

I too just upgraded my tie rod and drag link along with a better track bar and it’s a night and day difference. My partner said the Jeep now drives like his S550 GT

Glad to hear you've found it to make a big difference too :yup:

Jdofmemi

Looks like I will be in the market for some Synergy parts soon. This morning Becky noticed a little steering wheel shake. We checked it out and found play in the TRE at the pitman arm to drag link.

That's disappointing, with under 9,000 miles, and only the last thousand on the 37's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like I will be in the market for some Synergy parts soon. This morning Becky noticed a little steering wheel shake. We checked it out and found play in the TRE at the pitman arm to drag link.

That's disappointing, with under 9,000 miles, and only the last thousand on the 37's.

Before you do, take her JL into the dealership and ask about the drag link TSB. There is one now and it addresses this issue.