Manual vs. Automatic

frza

I have never driven a manual Jeep. I will be buying the JL unlimited for daily use. I am also a big fan of manual cars and currently own one.

Any feedback on the manual gearbox ?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have never driven a manual Jeep. I will be buying the JL unlimited for daily use. I am also a big fan of manual cars and currently own one.

If I’m not mistaken, the manual transmission will be the same as on the 2012 & up JK. I really liked it. It was easy to shift, and you control the powerband, not a computer. Some people complain of the reverse being too close to 5th gear, but I never had a problem with that.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Grew up driving and wheeling a manual. In fact, my old 1981 CJ-7, my 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport and my 2007 JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited were all manuals. While I do love a manual, an automatic is superior for off roading especially on the rocks.

If I’m not mistaken, the manual transmission will be the same as on the 2012 & up JK. I really liked it. It was easy to shift, and you control the powerband, not a computer. Some people complain of the reverse being too close to 5th gear, but I never had a problem with that.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the JL Wrangler will be coming with a new 6-speed transmission or at least, I think that was the word I last heard at the LA Auto Show.

Nt sure I would buy another manual living in a congested city. It’s just a pain in the ass in traffic.

This is definitely something worth noting. If I still lived in SoCal, I would get an automatic just for that.

8wr_zj

From the pictures released by jeep Reverse has moved from bottom right on the JK. Now Reverse is top left on the JL. Also has a reverse lockout.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My JK8 is the first Automatic wrangler we have owned. I’m guessing we have owned about 10 or so.

I like the auto but, my wife will not let me get another auto. So there’s that.

She still has your balls under lock and key I see :cool:

#1 - You need to get out wheeling with us more.
#2 - Jen needs to do more of the driving on the rocks.

I love manuals and I'm glad that I still have 2 Jeeps that still have them but for wheeling, I think I will always get an auto from here on out.

Piginajeep

She still has your balls under lock and key I see :cool:

#1 - You need to get out wheeling with us more.
#2 - Jen needs to do more of the driving on the rocks.

I love manuals and I'm glad that I still have 2 Jeeps that still have them but for wheeling, I think I will always get an auto from here on out.

#1. Yup, she scares me.
#2. You moved away asshole.
#3. Rocks are boring, I’d rather be in a dirt road hauling ass.
#4. When I’m your age, I’m sure the Auto will be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

benatc1

id have to say that i miss my manual to a point, the auto does get a bit boring but when it comes to traffic and rocks the auto is a lot easier. while i loved driving the manual around town and having more control i think ill stick with the auto, but who knows. I do think the 8 speed will be nice, Alex's Grand cherokee has the 3.6 with 8speed and it really is a decent combo

jolonghorn

I will go manual. Just can’t wrap my mind around an auto Jeep. But mine will be 95% on road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NFRs2000NYC

My very biased opinion, leave the manuals for the sports cars. I too own manual sports cars, and couldn't imagine getting a sloppy, problematic, weakpoint having chore of a transmission. I am the first person to understand the "fun" aspect of rowing your own gears, but that fun doesn't exist on an SUV, and the argument for controlling what gear you are in is moot since the autos allow you to select and hold whatever gear you want, so then you want to ask yourself, what's the point? Of course, that is purely my opinion.

06LJ

06LJ Auto, the wife drives it. 15 Jk Rubi Auto, 03 Rubi 5 speed, refurbing 79 CJ T18. I like the auto for daily driving but some days I just need to row the tranny.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I can say is that with an experienced driver, you can make a manual perform well even on the rocks. That being said, it takes a lot more work and really, out side of Cindy, I don't know too many people who are really good at rocking a manual on the rocks.

06LJ

Autos are much more forgiving on the rocks. I started driving in '77 and jeeps barely had autos. I learned to wheel in a stick. Last year I stayed at a resort in Tucson and tried to valet the 03 rubi. The kid climbed in and then yelled for me. I thought I left something, but was surprised when he asked me to park the jeep. None of them could drive a stick. It is a dying art left to jeepers.