JK half doors on JL?

Tank

I’ve ordered my JLUR and now have to decide what to keep from my 2015 JKU for it, and what to sell. None of my various tops will work, I’m thinking, mainly because of the different angle of the windshield. Some other aftermarket bits can be made to work (where there’s a will there’s a way), but I don’t care much about most of them. But I have a set of four OEM half doors that cost me an arm and a leg that I really hate to lose. Since they don’t have the upper structure other than the soft windows, is it possible they will be useable on the JL? I think there may be some differences with the hinges, but are the shape and dimensions the same? What do you think?

Tank

Wow. Seems hostile. Yes, of course I've read about the JL. Um, I actually bought one already. How silly. Anyway, if the overall length of the vehicle is a tiny bit longer, does that mean the length is necessarily in the doors? Nope. It could be behind the rear doors, or in front of the fronts, or between them. Anyone have any real information, apart from assumptions? Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Seems hostile. Yes, of course I've read about the JL. Um, I actually bought one already. How silly. Anyway, if the overall length of the vehicle is a tiny bit longer, does that mean the length is necessarily in the doors? Nope. It could be behind the rear doors, or in front of the fronts, or between them. Anyone have any real information, apart from assumptions? Thanks.

LOL!! No need to be so sensitive and nobody here is making any assumptions. The JL is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT with EVERYTHING on it made SPECIFICALLY for it. NONE of your JK parts will fit on it. If you've watch any of the videos I posted up from the LA Auto Show where Jeep just revealed the JL, you will know who some of my friends are and where I get my information from. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to put an exclamation on things, Strike Force Zebra is a company that manufacturers half doors for the JK. They are currently developing half doors for the JL. They are doing this because they know their JK doors will NOT work on the JL.

Mr.Hellcat2You

I don't think anything on the JK will work on the JL. Even the headlights on the JL are bigger as I heard in one of the videos Eddie posted. The wheelbase is longer on both the 2 and 4 door making the control arms longer. The tube doors that they showed on the Mojito had regular hinges that fit on the regular doors. Just by looking at the door aperature, it appears to be longer or wider. At this point, the only thing that might carry over from the JK are wheels. I even think the hood is longer on the JL too.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of wheels, should I sell my atx slabs before trading in for a new jl or will they transfer? Can anyone confirm the same wheel pattern?

To the best of my knowledge, the wheels are still 5x5 just like the JK. The studs are just a bit bigger now at 14mm but that shouldn't make a difference. The only reason you might want to consider selling your Slabs is so that you could get wheels with more back spacing. As it is, the JL will come with slightly wider axles and narrower fenders so there may not be a need for such little back spacing.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
To the best of my knowledge, the wheels are still 5x5 just like the JK. The studs are just a bit bigger now at 14mm but that shouldn't make a difference. The only reason you might want to consider selling your Slabs is so that you could get wheels with more back spacing. As it is, the JL will come with slightly wider axles and narrower fenders so there may not be a need for such little back spacing.

Any idea what the factory wheel backspacing is on the JL?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea what the factory wheel backspacing is on the JL?

Now that's a damn good question and one I have been wondering as well. By the look of the wheels, it'll be high like on the JK - probably in the 6"+ range. Hope to get a better idea of this sooner than later though.

13_gecko_rubi

Now that's a damn good question and one I have been wondering as well. By the look of the wheels, it'll be high like on the JK - probably in the 6"+ range. Hope to get a better idea of this sooner than later though.
I don't know the exact number off hand but you are correct it is in that range. The steering angle has been increased as well. Despite the longer wheelbase, the turning circle has been decreased by a foot.

As for you wheels they may or may not fit. The JL uses the same 5x5 pattern but has gone from 1/2" to 14mm lugs so they may or may not fit. You could have your wheels redrilled bigger. But 3.5 bs may not be needed on JL.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know the exact number off hand but you are correct it is in that range. The steering angle has been increased as well. Despite the longer wheelbase, the turning circle has been decreased by a foot.

As for you wheels they may or may not fit. The JL uses the same 5x5 pattern but has gone from 1/2" to 14mm lugs so they may or may not fit. You could have your wheels redrilled bigger. But 3.5 bs may not be needed on JL.

Thanks for confirming this. I figured if my wheels could be run with 9/16" studs, 14mm would be okay too. Granted, not every wheel can do that. Either way, I'm really glad to hear 3.5" of back spacing may not be needed and even happier about the improved turning circle!!

:thumb:

13_gecko_rubi

Thanks for confirming this. I figured if my wheels could be run with 9/16" studs, 14mm would be okay too. Granted, not every wheel can do that. Either way, I'm really glad to hear 3.5" of back spacing may not be needed and even happier about the improved turning circle!!

:thumb:
Ya, that's why I went with may or may not. 14mm is just the metric equivalent of 9/16th which you know but others may not. If 9/16th lugs fit it is highly likely the 14mm ones will.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, that's why I went with may or may not. 14mm is just the metric equivalent of 9/16th which you know but others may not. If 9/16th lugs fit it is highly likely the 14mm ones will.

Man, I can't wait to get my JL and start playing with it! :wings:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

Sweet! Thanks for posting up.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app