JL JOURNAL : A Superior Solution - Comparing a JL Front Axle Housing to a ProRock 44

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's little question that the front axles that come on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler are in fact "better" or at least, compare to what came on the JK Wrangler before. However, the question that really needs to be asked is, how much better is better and how does it stack up to something like a ProRock 44? In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see differences between the two axles, areas of concern on the factory one and aspects of the ProRock 44, that truly make it a superior solution. We hope you find the information in our video to be useful.

This is the 4th in a series of JL JOURNAL's that we've been making to help educate people about JL Wrangler's front axle and why you might want to consider a Dynatrac ProRock 44. We hope that you'll find them to be informative. Please check back soon for our next installment.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

TFD

Wow. I was hoping to get 2 or 3 years out of the factory axle. I’m definitely going to be careful on the trails this summer. Great to know Dynatrac has developed a solid solution already.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

Very helpful, as usual!

My question is how much punishment can my stock axle take? I'm not into going fast in the desert. When crawling over the rocks I try to go as slow as possible. I never had a problem with my JK on the Rubicon trail or anything that I tried in Moab. (Just for reference I'm OK with Moab Rim and Poison Spider but I haven't tried Pritchett Canyon.) Given that conservative approach what are the most likely things to break my axle?

Jeeeep

more good info showing potential issues to be aware of...

After seeing the initial FAD design I questioned its strength but then thought nah...they'll have it reinforced well in a Rubicon :doh:

Now I'm thinking I should've bought a sport and upgraded the axles :doh:

JTCO

Meme King
My question is how much punishment can my stock axle take? I'm not into going fast in the desert. When crawling over the rocks I try to go as slow as possible. I never had a problem with my JK on the Rubicon trail or anything that I tried in Moab. (Just for reference I'm OK with Moab Rim and Poison Spider but I haven't tried Pritchett Canyon.) Given that conservative approach what are the most likely things to break my axle?

I would imagine that a human-caused ice age would probably be pretty tough on your stock axles. But my data comes from indirect sources so I can't exactly prove that that might happen.

RMC2

Eddie, your videos are killing me. Too bad the rubicon axle didn’t come with a fad delete option. That alone makes the PR44 desireable. Then the other details just keep adding up.

Thanks for all these short info videos. Keep em coming.

frenchjk

Religiously watching all this and gathering facts for my euro JL, esp with our 2.2 diesel that is heavy on the front axle (I'm not even sure the Euro specs front axle is the same as the US -the axles are CV equiped from factory and a few other minor differences that make me wonder):thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. Sure shows the benefits of the prorock axle.

I'm sure there will still be naysayers but I think what we present speaks for itself. Clearly, not something everyone will need but for those who are really using their JL's, it maybe something they'll want sooner or later.

Works now!

Axle looks great! This video series will sure help a lot of people out.

I think more than anything, we wanted to educate people about the Advantek front axle and the things we learned about it. Fortunately, Jim was willing to help us do that and of course, use the ProRock 44 as an example of what a real 44 should look like.

Wow. I was hoping to get 2 or 3 years out of the factory axle. I’m definitely going to be careful on the trails this summer. Great to know Dynatrac has developed a solid solution already.

And, I think it's possible. How long it lasts will depend more on how you drive your Jeep than anything. Of course, the bigger the tire you run, the greater the risk.

more good info showing potential issues to be aware of...

After seeing the initial FAD design I questioned its strength but then thought nah...they'll have it reinforced well in a Rubicon :doh:

Now I'm thinking I should've bought a sport and upgraded the axles :doh:

LOL - no way, not me. The 4:1 transfer case, e-disco and big ass infotainment system alone would have gotten me still wanting a Rubicon. Of course, the rear axle isn't too bad. Well, except for the balls in the pinion bearings with plastic cage. :crazyeyes:

I would imagine that a human-caused ice age would probably be pretty tough on your stock axles. But my data comes from indirect sources so I can't exactly prove that that might happen.

:cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, your videos are killing me. Too bad the rubicon axle didn’t come with a fad delete option. That alone makes the PR44 desireable. Then the other details just keep adding up.

Thanks for all these short info videos. Keep em coming.

Well, we're actually done with the short videos but have been burning the midnight oil to make a much longer one that highlights the Building of a ProRock 44. Hoping to get it up tonight so stay tuned :yup:

Loving this series!

Glad to hear it, thanks :)

Religiously watching all this and gathering facts for my euro JL, esp with our 2.2 diesel that is heavy on the front axle (I'm not even sure the Euro specs front axle is the same as the US -the axles are CV equiped from factory and a few other minor differences that make me wonder):thinking:

If I recall, the only axle option that you will have is the M186 and yes, it will come with CV's.

RanchoRubi

Just finished watching all three videos of the series.

Incredibly helpful and valuable. I love the no nonsense, stick to the facts without over-the-top technical jargon.

I have a PR44 on my JK and have never had an issue or concern.

Based on this, probably going to make this an upgrade once I get my JL.[emoji16]

Great job Eddie and Jim in creating and providing this.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Another fantastic video! When we wheeled Rausch Creek 2 weekends ago no both ddays and myself had our pro rocks just hug and slide over the rocks due to the proprietary design of the housing dynatrac has! Wish we got pics

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished watching all three videos of the series.

Incredibly helpful and valuable. I love the no nonsense, stick to the facts without over-the-top technical jargon.

I have a PR44 on my JK and have never had an issue or concern.

Based on this, probably going to make this an upgrade once I get my JL.[emoji16]

Great job Eddie and Jim in creating and providing this.[emoji106]

So glad that you've been enjoying the series but I should note that including this episode, we've actually made 4. Should have the big one coming out this evening :yup:

Another fantastic video! When we wheeled Rausch Creek 2 weekends ago no both ddays and myself had our pro rocks just hug and slide over the rocks due to the proprietary design of the housing dynatrac has! Wish we got pics

Pretty cool to see isn't it :)

MrGiant

I love all of these Videos, great job Cindy and Eddie! I will never upgrade to these axles, as modifying a JL here takes a whole lot of effort to be needing such beefy axles. And then, here you dont even need such beefy stuff....
But I love the details about this whole story and so I watch everything about it

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Everytime a wayalife video comes out my wallet takes off running and screaming.

:cheesy: Too funny :)

I love all of these Videos, great job Cindy and Eddie! I will never upgrade to these axles, as modifying a JL here takes a whole lot of effort to be needing such beefy axles. And then, here you dont even need such beefy stuff....
But I love the details about this whole story and so I watch everything about it

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Oh yeah, for most people, there will never be a need for something like this but we hope that they could still learn from videos like this :)