JL JOURNAL : Understanding the FAD - How the JL Front Axle Disconnect Works

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In an effort to help improve fuel economy on the all new JL Wrangler, Jeep went through great lengths to lighten up it up as much as they could, reduce drag where possible and make it operate more efficiently. Of course, one of the things they did to help make this possible was to add a front axle disconnect or what most people refer to as, an FAD. But, what exactly is an FAD and how does it work? Is it tied into the JL computer and what if you were to upgrade your axle to something like a ProRock 44? Will getting rid of it be a problem? In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, Jim McGean, the owner of Dynatrac will answer all these questions and more. We hope you enjoy and find the information to be useful.

This is the 2nd in a series of JL JOURNAL's that we've made to help educate people about JL Wrangler axles and why you might want to consider a Dynatrac ProRock 44. We hope that you'll find them to be informative. Please check back soon for our next installment.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

JTCO

Meme King
Nice. Do you recall if the Gladiator had an FAD? I know all of the models (sport, overland, Rubicon) will be running the same axles, just wondering if that axle is the same as the JL?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice. Do you recall if the Gladiator had an FAD? I know all of the models (sport, overland, Rubicon) will be running the same axles, just wondering if that axle is the same as the JL?

Unfortunately, yes. Kind of like the auto start stop, it's just something we're gonna have to get used to.

JTCO

Meme King
Unfortunately, yes. Kind of like the auto start stop, it's just something we're gonna have to get used to.

At least mine won't see dirt often so it likely won't bug me too much (other than my moral compass that this thing is stupid to begin with). I may just run some 10+ race car caster then.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At least mine won't see dirt often so it likely won't bug me too much (other than my moral compass that this thing is stupid to begin with). I may just run some 10+ race car caster then.

LOL! That would make your Gladiator handle real nice and tight :)

RMC2

This is an item I wish I could have opted out of. I’m sure I will never have an issue with the cast FAD housing myself. But we have already seen at least a few breaks. Hopefully the actuator holds up.

I love the ProRock series of axles, if only I had the spare coin.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very informative. I’ll still bet a lot of people will never break the factory axle, but I’m glad there is a quality option out there, should that happen.

Agreed. It would be my bet that MOST people will never have a need for something like a ProRock 44. BUT, if one were to need a replacement, a ProRock 44 is what I would recommend.

The auto start stop can be turned off when I took a test drive when I was trying to trade mine in the salesman pushed a button and turned it off and it stayed running

LOL!! Yes, I am aware of this but hate having to do that all the time. And yes, I know that a Tazer can turn it off but you need to leave it plugged in.

This is an item I wish I could have opted out of. I’m sure I will never have an issue with the cast FAD housing myself. But we have already seen at least a few breaks. Hopefully the actuator holds up.

I love the ProRock series of axles, if only I had the spare coin.

My guess is that you'll be fine with the factory axle or at least, for long enough to save up for a ProRock :)

JAGS

Hmmm. So how much will a slightly used JL Rubicon axle go for these days. [emoji6] These vids are always super informative. But also makes me “want” more than I need. Lol.

I was thinking about trussing my 44, but after seeing how big that square hole is in the axle tube that might just send me straight onto a pro rock 44.

Dale72

Caught the Bug
Agreed. It would be my bet that MOST people will never have a need for something like a ProRock 44. BUT, if one were to need a replacement, a ProRock 44 is what I would recommend.

LOL!! Yes, I am aware of this but hate having to do that all the time. And yes, I know that a Tazer can turn it off but you need to leave it plugged in.

My guess is that you'll be fine with the factory axle or at least, for long enough to save up for a ProRock :)
Yeah I would hate that to because he said that you have to push the button every time you start the jeep

Sent from my SM-G950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. So how much will a slightly used JL Rubicon axle go for these days. [emoji6] These vids are always super informative. But also makes me “want” more than I need. Lol.

LOL!! I'd be willing to bet quite a bit. Honestly, for most people out there, a ProRock 44 is way more than they would ever need. Unlike some people out there, I'm not in the business of convincing people of what they should buy. I only share what I learn and show people what we're doing and why. :)

I was thinking about trussing my 44, but after seeing how big that square hole is in the axle tube that might just send me straight onto a pro rock 44.

Seeing the FAD opened up like that as well as the breaks we've seen so far, yeah, a ProRock 44 was definitely the way we needed to go.

NFRs2000NYC

I hate ESS so much, that if someone could grant me a wish and remove ONE thing I hate about the JL, like the FAD, ESS, second battery, etc, it would be the ESS. ESS is probably the worst feature fitted to vehicles today, and IMHO, in the right situation, it could be fatal.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hate ESS so much, that if someone could grant me a wish and remove ONE thing I hate about the JL, like the FAD, ESS, second battery, etc, it would be the ESS. ESS is probably the worst feature fitted to vehicles today, and IMHO, in the right situation, it could be fatal.

I'd have to say that I'm with you on this. I really do hate it more than any other grievance that I might have with the JL. Sure, you can defeat it with this or that but you still have the stupid light on your EVIC.