Hutchison rock monsters

Looking at the Hutchisons for our Unlimited Rubicon, and I was wondering has anyone had any experience with these wheels? They will be on my wife's daily driver with nitto ridge grappler 37x12.5R17 tires. We don't quite have the rocks you guys have out west here in Kentucky but we will be wheeling it a couple times a month at least. They have 4.63 inch backspacing.

Attachments

• 1548462526616159892234270512389_601838219291279.jpg
    1548462526616159892234270512389_601838219291279.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 160

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Although I have no personal experience, in my opinion they are overkill for your needs. They are only about 3 pounds heavier than my KMC Machetes, however I would not want to deal with the insert and see no need for an inner lock. If you're really in love with the looks and don't mind the mounting process then go for it, but there are other split 5-spoke options out there that look good.

Although I have no personal experience, in my opinion they are overkill for your needs. They are only about 3 pounds heavier than my KMC Machetes, however I would not want to deal with the insert and see no need for an inner lock. If you're really in love with the looks and don't mind the mounting process then go for it, but there are other split 5-spoke options out there that look good.

Yeah I agree they are probably overkill. I'm just trying to plan ahead because in the next couple of years as we will be getting more serious with where we take the Jeep offroad. I like the machete wheels a lot as well, but I've seen where the beadlock bolts rust, and for the money I'm spending that seems very aggravating. I'm going to trying to remember what forum I found that on and post the pics.

Here's a few pictures. I don't know if this was a fluke or what. I'm hoping it was a one time thing.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 126

ddays v2

Not throwing shade on the Hutchinsons because they are really nice wheels, but one big advantage the KMC/ATX beadlocks have over them is actual bead protection. The Hutchinsons can get damaged and actually bread the wheel bead area in hard rock usage whereas the KMC/ATC locking ring takes the punishment. The bolts are recessed in them as well so they're better protected than the Rock Monsters. If you're mostly dirt/mud/two track roads it shouldn't be an issue, but if rock crawling is in your future its something to be aware of. :twocents:

Edit: This happened to a member on Wayalife running the Hitchinsons. One other point on the KMC/ATX wheels is that the valve stems are up an out of the way.

IMG_6329.jpg

IMG_6330.jpg

Last edited:

Jdofmemi

If you NEED beadlocks, the downside of the Hutchinsons is that it does not have the bead ring to strengthen the edge of the rim.
A hard hit can break the edge of the rim, and there have been cases of that, but not many. I doubt many would wheel hard enough for it to be a problem.

The other DOT approved beadlocks are BAD
http://www.badwheelsinc.com

I have no experience with them, but it seems they have addressed the problem I mentioned of the weak outer rim with a rock ring to strengthen it.

MR.Ty

Yeah I agree they are probably overkill. I'm just trying to plan ahead because in the next couple of years as we will be getting more serious with where we take the Jeep offroad. I like the machete wheels a lot as well, but I've seen where the beadlock bolts rust, and for the money I'm spending that seems very aggravating. I'm going to trying to remember what forum I found that on and post the pics.

On the rusty bolts issue, some members of WAL have found a solution to that issue.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/26591-ATX-Slab-beadlock-bolts-have-rusted-after-3-weeks

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

You know, if you actually do need bead locks, the ring is going to look worse than those rusty bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I don't disagree with that at all. I just think that the quality for what your paying should be higher on those bolts. Of course the rings are going to get beat up, but they're supposed too. The bolts should be better in my humble opinion. The rest of the wheel is awesome.

Not throwing shade on the Hutchinsons because they are really nice wheels, but one big advantage the KMC/ATX beadlocks have over them is actual bead protection. The Hutchinsons can get damaged and actually bread the wheel bead area in hard rock usage whereas the KMC/ATC locking ring takes the punishment. The bolts are recessed in them as well so they're better protected than the Rock Monsters. If you're mostly dirt/mud/two track roads it shouldn't be an issue, but if rock crawling is in your future its something to be aware of. :twocents:

Edit: This happened to a member on Wayalife running the Hitchinsons. One other point on the KMC/ATX wheels is that the valve stems are up an out of the way.

View attachment 8491

View attachment 8492

That's really good to know. Thank you. He we have mostly muddy slippery trails but our rocks are pretty jagged. I'd hate to slip off and catch the bead on one.

If you NEED beadlocks, the downside of the Hutchinsons is that it does not have the bead ring to strengthen the edge of the rim.
A hard hit can break the edge of the rim, and there have been cases of that, but not many. I doubt many would wheel hard enough for it to be a problem.

The other DOT approved beadlocks are BAD
http://www.badwheelsinc.com

I have no experience with them, but it seems they have addressed the problem I mentioned of the weak outer rim with a rock ring to strengthen it.

Yeah I think i'm going to steer clear of the hutchison's. We don't have a ton of rock crawling here, but the rocks we have are pretty rough. I'd rather replace a ring, instead of having to buy a whole new wheel.

ddays v2

I've only personally seen it on the black oxide bolts.

Mine all have corroded. One of the things on my Winter maintenance list is taking them apart and cleaning them all up. It's a pain in the ass but I clean everything up & I know everythings in good shape.

Those black oxide bolts are worthless in out salty Winter climate in the NE. I bought a shitload of them and installed them on my rock skins a couple years ago. They didn't last through the Winter before they turned to shit. Reinstalled the SS ones provided & never looked back.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Mine all have corroded. One of the things on my Winter maintenance list is taking them apart and cleaning them all up. It's a pain in the ass but I clean everything up & I know everythings in good shape.

Those black oxide bolts are worthless in out salty Winter climate in the NE. I bought a shitload of them and installed them on my rock skins a couple years ago. They didn't last through the Winter before they turned to shit. Reinstalled the SS ones provided & never looked back.

I've been reading through your GRUFF build thread. The standard ring bolts on your wheels have corroded? Also, I gleaned the idea of protecting Kings with spray wax after each wash. Great idea and something I will definitely implement.

ddays v2

I've been reading through your GRUFF build thread. The standard ring bolts on your wheels have corroded? Also, I gleaned the idea of protecting Kings with spray wax after each wash. Great idea and something I will definitely implement.

Thanks, glad you got something out of that old thing. That spray wax really does the trick. Short of getting them powder coated clear, not much else you can do...

Yup, the original bolts never held up to that good old brine shit they put down on the roads here. It's brutal on everything that's not protected. :( I take them all off and get after them on a bench grinder with a wire wheel.

Thanks, glad you got something out of that old thing. That spray wax really does the trick. Short of getting them powder coated clear, not much else you can do...

Yup, the original bolts never held up to that good old brine shit they put down on the roads here. It's brutal on everything that's not protected. :( I take them all off and get after them on a bench grinder with a wire wheel.

The guy who posted those pictures on the other thread found replacement bolts on McMaster-Carr for $90. He didn't say if they were stainless or what, but he did say it solved the rusting problem.