JL Wrangler Aluminum Steering Box - Will it be Strong Enough?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw that PSC Motorsports got their hands on a Jeep JL Wrangler steering box today. Apparently, it's aluminum and one they've seen used on trucks before and haven't been too impressed with. With the JL looking like it'll be able to run 37's without too much trouble, it'll be interesting to see how well this steering box will hold up. Granted, it will have a little help with the electric assist. What do you all think?

20171121103923-623acb15-me.jpg

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I’m deff curious as to what psc has seen from the aluminum box’s in the past few years as to why they haven’t been impressed. Maybe jeep has seen the flaws and redesigned it already for the JL?

JTCO

Meme King
Other than weight and heat dissipation, is it really a good idea to change over from cast iron? Steering is a major safety thing, surprised they would do this.

But then again, vehicles that use a rack and pinion run aluminum housings and I've seen the housing bushings wear so bad that the whole rack moves around and haven't seen one crack apart yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, it sure would be nice to see what some of the failures looked like so that we could get a better idea of what to expect. Still, nice to know that aftermarket options are already on the drawing board. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Generally speaking, provided the aluminum was cast correctly, with extra support in key places, it can be as strong/stronger than iron/steel. I guess time will tell if it was engineered properly with adequate support in key stress areas.

Rancho Shocks

Supporting Advertiser
Supporter
Curious as well. Having been involved in enough JK steering box breaks, I would be "scared" of this.
:icon_crazy: