Axles

JL54

Hey everyone, was at a dealer for a recall on my girlfriends Cherokee, was looking at JL window stickers and noticed where it says 8 speed transmission it also says 3rd gen rear axle, tip start, hill decent.. I got my sport s in February and my sticker just says 8speed transmission.. nowhere does it say 3rd gen axle. is there a difference ? I thought all 2018 JL’s had new axles. Just wondering thanks for any input..

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Hey everyone, was at a dealer for a recall on my girlfriends Cherokee, was looking at JL window stickers and noticed where it says 8 speed transmission it also says 3rd gen rear axle, tip start, hill decent.. I got my sport s in February and my sticker just says 8speed transmission.. nowhere does it say 3rd gen axle. is there a difference ? I thought all 2018 JL’s had new axles. Just wondering thanks for any input..

Hopefully this thread will help: https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...S-Dana-M186-amp-M210-Front-M200-amp-M220-Rear

13_gecko_rubi

They all have new axles. The small ones they call 3rd gen blah blah. The big ones they label Dana 44

Sent via....

ocrejects

Axels

Got a question on the 2018 JLUR.. I know that the new Rubicon came with a date of 44s, however I measured the back axle housing tube and it was
9 13/16” and the front was 8 5/8”, I would’ve thought they would have both have the same. I measured going around the outside of the tube on the back and the front axels with a tape measure.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Got a question on the 2018 JLUR.. I know that the new Rubicon came with a date of 44s, however I measured the back axle housing tube and it was
9 13/16” and the front was 8 5/8”, I would’ve thought they would have both have the same. I measured going around the outside of the tube on the back and the front axels with a tape measure.

Why would they be the same? They are different axles.

MrGiant

I am still looking for the question....
Size reduces stress (in most cases) which leads to more durability. The rear axle has to transfer torque in every drive mode which means its life under load is higher than the one of the front axle. Thicker shafts and diff and stuff need more room. Furthermore the vehicles weight transfers more to the rear axle when climbing an obstacle. This increases load, so it has to be stronger than the front in this case to withstand the punishment.
This is my explanation to different tubing size. I hope I didnt get the question wrong

Sent from my SM-G950F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
I'm not so sure why the axles were ever even measured :thinking:

I don't think I've ever climbed under a newly purchased vehicle and measured the circumference of the pumpkin.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the front axle is NOT the same as the rear. It's an M210 and the rear is an M220.