JL JOURNAL : AFTERMATH / A Post Rubicon Trail Damage Report

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from the broken exhaust hanger, smashed steering stablizer, jacked up front differential drain bolt and of course, the bit of body damage that I gave our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited on our most recent Rubicon Trail run, I've had a number of people ask if maybe we found anything else that might have got damaged as well. Being that it had been over 8 months since we gave JET Li a thorough once over, we thought now would be a good a time as any to rack him up and give everything a closer look. And, in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you get to see how things have been holding up. We hope you enjoy.

2 THINGS EVERY JL WRANGLER OWNER SHOULD HAVE
BUY a HITCH STINGER: https://www.wayalife.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=PARTS-HITCH-STINGER
BUY a RANCHO FRONT AXLE GLIDE PLATE: https://amzn.to/2PJReoB

:cool:

Jeeeep

I like these updates, good to see where the weak points are.

other than the body damage, good to see it's taking the trail damage in stock form.

are the fenders fiberglass? seems like the JK fender would have flexed :thinking:

Stinger definitely saves the tailgate by letting the spare slide off obstacles :thumb:

the muffler hanger, no comment... POS casting part :doh:

JTCO

Meme King
Looks like she held up well. Kind of surprised the oil pan got hit based on how high up it is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t wait to watch. Right now it’s beer time!

LOL!! Enjoy :beer:

I'm suprised, not as much damage as I thought there would be. Over all it faired very well [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

It really is surprising and a BIG part of why we decided to make this video. I constantly get people trying to tell me that I need to by X, Y or Z made by who the hell ever they've seen on YouTube and I really just don't understand why. If I start breaking things, I'll look into addressing those areas. Anything else is just a waste.

I like these updates, good to see where the weak points are.

other than the body damage, good to see it's taking the trail damage in stock form.

are the fenders fiberglass? seems like the JK fender would have flexed :thinking:

Stinger definitely saves the tailgate by letting the spare slide off obstacles :thumb:

the muffler hanger, no comment... POS casting part :doh:

The fenders are plastic but they seem a hell of a lot more rigid than the JK ones. :idontknow:

:D Looks like a pretty good body shop, if you trust them--they do good work !

Congrads-

:thumb: JIMBO

Oh yeah, they do EXCELLENT work and for a reasonable price.

Looks like she held up well. Kind of surprised the oil pan got hit based on how high up it is.

eh, just touched it. Must have been a fluke. I'm still more concerned about my transmission cooler lines than my oil pan.

benatc1

Great video, glad they could get that ding out of the body. Overall the bottom doesn't look terrible but certainly has taken its beating. Surprised to see the drive shaft making all that contact but in sure itll get swapped at some point anyway

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WiscoHR

Another great video. I don’t have as many underbody hits as you, but can say the big areas you pointed out have definitely taken some good shots. Front control arm brackets and rear shock mounts more than anywhere else. And you know those are the ones you feel.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

Thanks for the follow up video. This was the info I was looking for. The body repair turned out great and was reasonable in cost.

The transmission cooler lines worry me. I have wondered if I can adapt my EVO JK skid. Haven’t really put much thought into it though.

Last edited:

WiscoHR

Thanks for the follow up video. This was the info I was looking for. The body repair turned out great and was reasonable in cost.

The transmission cooler lines worry me. I have wondered if I can adapt my EVO JK skid. Haven’t really put much thought into it though.

EVO is just releasing there JL products and the skids are part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, glad they could get that ding out of the body. Overall the bottom doesn't look terrible but certainly has taken its beating. Surprised to see the drive shaft making all that contact but in sure itll get swapped at some point anyway

A lot of the rubbing is coming from the fact that we aren't running a rear track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar. If we were, we might not be getting any rubbing.

Another great video. I don’t have as many underbody hits as you, but can say the big areas you pointed out have definitely taken some good shots. Front control arm brackets and rear shock mounts more than anywhere else. And you know those are the ones you feel.[emoji23]

LOL!! Oh yeah, you can feel every single one of them :crazyeyes:

EVO is just releasing there JL products and the skids are part of it.

What WiscoHR said, EVO has skids out now. :yup:

benatc1

A lot of the rubbing is coming from the fact that we aren't running a rear track bar relocation bracket or adjustable track bar. If we were, we might not be getting any rubbing.

LOL!! Oh yeah, you can feel every single one of them :crazyeyes:

What WiscoHR said, EVO has skids out now. :yup:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. just out of curiosity, is that something you think you'll add soon or wait till you install a more comprehensive lift?

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. just out of curiosity, is that something you think you'll add soon or wait till you install a more comprehensive lift?

Truth be told, a relocation bracket is something I've been hoping to get from EVO for a while now but they haven't had it in stock. Cindy made a special plea with Mel recently and with any luck, we'll get one soon. :crazyeyes:

JIMBOX

:D Yeah, another great video and that "DING" on the oil pan is RARE, BUT so close to the drain plug--

I've felt the oil pan is so damn high, it is safe, felt the same with my '08 JKUR, but-

That hit of your pan, looks SUBSTANCIAL--you probably oughta either "strap it" or--I hate to say this, but REPLACE THE PAN--

It's "PRESSED" steel, so that DING will either rust/progress/or crack--

Whatta bummer--good luck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love watching these, helps me keep aware of weak points.
Thanks

Awesome, glad that we could help :)

:D Yeah, another great video and that "DING" on the oil pan is RARE, BUT so close to the drain plug--

I've felt the oil pan is so damn high, it is safe, felt the same with my '08 JKUR, but-

That hit of your pan, looks SUBSTANCIAL--you probably oughta either "strap it" or--I hate to say this, but REPLACE THE PAN--

It's "PRESSED" steel, so that DING will either rust/progress/or crack--

Whatta bummer--good luck

eh, I can't say I'm too concerned. :)

Richamby

I was relieved to see how little damage you have incurred.

The JL seems to have a lot of bases covered for the average owner.

With a little help from a couple key vendors, could be a home run.

I’d like to see a steel muffler bracket, protection for the transmission lines and better ends on the crossbrace.

Once again, great video.