4 Lo

Shadowfire

What’s the trick? Needed 4 Lo yesterday but wow what a pain it’s really hard to get it all the way back then it pops out...no Lo no lockers and I was in some really deep crap luckily made it out by holding the lever back it shouldn’t be that difficult so what was I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
If it's like any other vehicle, foot on the brake, transmission in neutral. Then slide tcase shifter all the way into 4lo. Then put transmission in drive.

Shadowfire

I know the question was open to duh....but it did it again today of course I was in neutral and the lever goes back indicates Lo then pops out I hold it in until rolling into the hill or mud...today was muddy hill and it wants to pop out. I’m hoping the more times I use it the better it will the more easily if no one else is having any issues it’s just my Jeep...same with the off roads apps...just a tease so far not very consistent in working.

BillArnett

When my JL was brand new I drove it around in a safe neighborhood and shifted in and out of 4LO about 30 times. That had two effects: first, it was good practice so that I learned just how to pull on the lever to make it shift. And second, it loosened up the mechanism a bit making it significantly easier to shift than when I started.

Shadowfire

Thanks bill I’m gonna give that a try, it is my first technical trip out as it turned out we ran a few trails down here at big bend nothing crazy but it’s been raining here in the desert 3 days we were coming back and first try in low for a very long, very deep rut of mud, was gonna just stay in hi but as we got into it my lead ( bro in-law) decided hey I need to stop and lock in Lo ... lol so I had to as well. Things I haven’t used were suddenly wtf I can’t have my bro in-laws Tacoma get thru this and I get stuck...nope. Anyway made it thru all challenges today even after the rain started again and climbed up a slick rock facing..that’s when Lo failed me again...cpl hundred foot drop off each side and lost traction, held it in and made it up. Fun trails...oh btw I never realized how much mud this thing throws on itself...

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Thanks bill I’m gonna give that a try, it is my first technical trip out as it turned out we ran a few trails down here at big bend nothing crazy but it’s been raining here in the desert 3 days we were coming back and first try in low for a very long, very deep rut of mud, was gonna just stay in hi but as we got into it my lead ( bro in-law) decided hey I need to stop and lock in Lo ... lol so I had to as well. Things I haven’t used were suddenly wtf I can’t have my bro in-laws Tacoma get thru this and I get stuck...nope. Anyway made it thru all challenges today even after the rain started again and climbed up a slick rock facing..that’s when Lo failed me again...cpl hundred foot drop off each side and lost traction, held it in and made it up. Fun trails...oh btw I never realized how much mud this thing throws on itself...

Are you sure you had it in all the way?

Don’t drive around your neighborhood in 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CalSgt

I know the question was open to duh....but it did it again today of course I was in neutral and the lever goes back indicates Lo then pops out I hold it in until rolling into the hill or mud...today was muddy hill and it wants to pop out. I’m hoping the more times I use it the better it will the more easily if no one else is having any issues it’s just my Jeep...same with the off roads apps...just a tease so far not very consistent in working.

Mine did the same thing first few times, it will break in... I was worried about it too & did like the other poster and shifted it in & out several times. Hasn't popped out since.