Auto transmission oddity

BillArnett

So I'm happily climbing up a bunch of switchbacks in 4LO and the transmission in D. It's running in 4th or 3rd most of the time and doing a fine job of keeping the RPMs at a reasonable level. Now I encounter a somewhat steeper grade and press on the gas to keep my speed up. But it doesn't downshift! Even if the RPMs drop to 1500 or less it refuses to shift. I have to switch to M to prevent a stall. What's up with that? I've seen this happen at least a dozen times now. Anyone else have a similar experience? Or an explanation?

StingRubi19

Eddie talks about this in one of his Moab videos in the JL journal. The jeep stalls out for some reason when he was doing steep climbs.
Not 100% sure if he figured out why. I cant remember, but I do remember Manual Mode is the way to go. It kept the power to the wheels that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WiscoHR

So I'm happily climbing up a bunch of switchbacks in 4LO and the transmission in D. It's running in 4th or 3rd most of the time and doing a fine job of keeping the RPMs at a reasonable level. Now I encounter a somewhat steeper grade and press on the gas to keep my speed up. But it doesn't downshift! Even if the RPMs drop to 1500 or less it refuses to shift. I have to switch to M to prevent a stall. What's up with that? I've seen this happen at least a dozen times now. Anyone else have a similar experience? Or an explanation?

I experienced this in CO on the long climbs at 15mph it would be in 8th gear and sit with no power. So had to use M to pick gear. In those no obstacle long climbs it tends to hang in higher gear and won’t downshift.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app