Home brewing

Chrismendoza

Been debating about picking up a new hobby brewing my own beer. I was wondering if any of you fine specimens dabble in brewing your own beer. If so any tips and insight would be appreciated

JTCO

Meme King
Been debating about picking up a new hobby brewing my own beer. I was wondering if any of you fine specimens dabble in brewing your own beer. If so any tips and insight would be appreciated

We did it for a few years.

Tip one: Get a secondary fermenter (glass carboy). It makes the beer a lot more clear. You transfer your first wort mixture into it.

Tip two: Start small. Get a simple kit that comes with liquid malt and one or two hop species. After you do a couple of simple kits, you'll see that the process is all the same. When we first started brewing, we watched this guy: long videos and a little boring, but he covers everything really well for someone that is just starting:

Tip three: Get large bomber bottles. The 22 oz ones will almost cut your workload in half. Instead of having to fill 53 small bottles, you'll fill like 26 large bottles.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Pasty

It's a fun hobby but definitely a slippery slope. Start small if you want to test the waters - you can score a kettle and some food-grade plastic buckets for pretty cheap that will accomplish a lot for you. The pre-packaged kits that you'll find at any homebrew retailer work just fine. Look up Brew-In-A-Bag and you can skip a mash tun altogether. It's a pretty straightforward process as long as you keep an eye on temperatures and make sure everything is properly sanitized. x2 on the bomber bottles - less tedious come bottling day, but if you take a liking to brewing, eventually you'll get the itch to switch over to kegging. I started with a 1-gallon kit that I would bottle back when that's all I had room for when living in NYC, but that has since evolved to multiple 3-gallon batches that I'm kegging in a DIY kegerator that taps through the wall in my basement. Like I said, it's a slippery slope :beer:

tjeeper

I've been doing it for a while. I got into it about 30 years ago after I graduated from college, did it for several years, then went into hiatus as the craft beer scene took off and it was just easier to buy good beer at the liquor store. I started back up again 7 years ago when I moved to Utah and got beer shock at the lack of quality beer available (to be fair that has changed as the number of craft breweries has greatly increased in the time I have lived here).

Homebrew Talk is a good online forum. Good information there. Patsy is right, it is definitely a slippery slope. This was my Christmas gift to myself last year:

Keezer with 2 CO2 taps and 2 Nitro taps. I have a Fat Tire clone on tap, a Autumn Red, and an Irish Red on Nitro. In my fermentor I have a Guinness clone just about ready to keg and fill in that last Nitro tap.

Attachments

• IMG_4037.jpg
    IMG_4037.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 26