Strange sounds while driving over 65mph

Deezus

Hey, I'm hearing strange sounds at freeway speeds. At first thought it was a harmonic vibe but my Driveshafts only turn 2k at 70mph. My JLUR has:
Rancho 2" sport lift
Cooper 37/12.50/17
Kmc RG beadlock
I'm running my psi at 26 cold.
It almost sounds like air hitting the Jeep causing these sounds and I say that because when it was at stock height I couldn't hear them. Anyone else have this or any ideas what it could be?
I have no wobbles of any kind and did notice it slightly went away when my tire pressure went up but that could be in my mind.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
Tire noise?

If you're in a safe area without a lot of traffic, at highway speeds, you can put the Jeep in neutral. If the noise is still there, then that pretty much eliminates the power train as the cause.

Deezus

Tire noise?

If you're in a safe area without a lot of traffic, at highway speeds, you can put the Jeep in neutral. If the noise is still there, then that pretty much eliminates the power train as the cause.
This might be it as when my air pressure went higher it seemed like it went away a bit. I think not might be air pressure and having it higher off the ground with nose straight instead of pointed down.
Thanks.

Deezus

Tire noise?

Well I did what you said and still had it. I found a very loose drivers side sway bar link tightened it up and it went away and smoothed it out. I think because I've put some miles on it with a loose link that maybe I need to get my wheels balanced. It's time for a rotation and like I said the major feeling/ sound is gone and it's smooth now.

JTCO

Meme King
Well I did what you said and still had it. I found a very loose drivers side sway bar link tightened it up and it went away and smoothed it out. I think because I've put some miles on it with a loose link that maybe I need to get my wheels balanced. It's time for a rotation and like I said the major feeling/ sound is gone and it's smooth now.

Wow, that's crazy. Glad you found it that quickly. The sway bar won't have anything to do with tire balance, do don't spend money you don't need to.

Tire rotation is very proactive especially with mud terrain tires but don't spend money on balancing unless you have a vibration or you have a free tire balance agreement with your tire purchase.

Deezus

Wow, that's crazy. Glad you found it that quickly. The sway bar won't have anything to do with tire balance, do don't spend money you don't need to.

Tire rotation is very proactive especially with mud terrain tires but don't spend money on balancing unless you have a vibration or you have a free tire balance agreement with your tire purchase.
I buy my tires at the Americas tire and they do it for free for me..

Deezus

Here's a shot of my front bumper lower skid. Let me know if you see anything strange thanks.20180923_115059_HDR.jpeg

Deezus

So I just had my tires rotated and balanced and the feeling got worse and the tires are louder. It's funny because it's felt this way ever since I put the top back on...still searching to see what it is.....
Update- getting my tires static balanced to see if that helps and alignment checked....if this doesn't do it then I'm gonna have to drive out to Eddie's and have him test drive it and see what he thinks!! Haha jk

Last edited:

Deezus

Update: all tires were unbalanced. LS static balanced them and now I think it's just tire noise but it is better.

Deezus

Actually spoke too soon...took it out on the freeway. At 65mph you can start to feel it then at 70mph with cruise control on you can feel it...vibration. I put it in neutral and it doesn't go away. I think the rear driveshaft might be the problem....it has a mark where it got hit....my plan is to take rear DS off then put it in 4hi take it on the freeway. I only have to get it to 70mph to feel it. What do you guys think? I realize your probably not suppose to go that fast in 4hi. Thanks