Bumper Selection: Stubby, Recessed Winch, OEM Fogs, Bull Bar

aug0211

Hey everyone! I’m sorry if this is a repeat topic. Did some searching and found some helpful posts but not quite exactly what I’m searching for.

I saw Eddy’s great video on the LOD Destroyer stubby bumper - and eventually I landed on the LOD Signature series stubby front bumper because it has a more recessed winch mount location, I believe. I would really like to pull the trigger soon, but want to see if there might be another option before I do.

I’m not 100% sold on the LOD Signature, still, though - I’d like a slightly more aggressive bull bar like what’s on the DV8 FS-15 or even Artec Industries Nighthawk.

I’m curious if anyone has any other ideas to consider or look at.

1. Stubby
2. Recessed winch mount
3. OEM LED fog compatible
4. No light bars/slots for light bars that will look funny without light bars in them
5. Moderately aggressive bull bar (single hoop but mid-grill up to the top of the hood)

For reference, other options I’ve considered are:
•DV8 FS-15 (no recessed winch mount, supposed install options with JL)
•Poison Spyder Crawler - no recessed winch mount, bull bar may be a bit low for my taste
•Artec Industries Nighthawk - really like this, but no recessed winch mount (and wish it was painted already for the price
•GenRight - no fog holes (plus, not sure if I HAVE to have aluminum, in which case the cost may not be worth it)
•Warn Elite Stubby - no spots for fogs

I’m sure there are more I had considered, but I can’t remember them all - really it’s down to the LOD Signature, Poison Spyder, DV8 FS-18, and Artec... with the LOD leading because technically it ticks the boxes, but I’m a bit nervous that the bull bar won’t be aggressive enough for me.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

The only option which sort of qualifies is the poison spyder, which I think allows you to have a recessed winch and ridid industries cube foglights. I haven't seen any that have a recessed winch AND fogs because Im assuming there is no room for both.

aug0211

The only option which sort of qualifies is the poison spyder, which I think allows you to have a recessed winch and ridid industries cube foglights. I haven't seen any that have a recessed winch AND fogs because Im assuming there is no room for both.

Good point! The Poison Spyder Bruiser would allow that. The Crawler was what I had been considering since it fits OEM fogs, but it of course does not have a recessed housing.

I am not a fan of cube lights or the added “side bars” from the bumper to the bull bar (what are those called?) unfortunately, so that eliminates the bruiser.

#TooPicky :)

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

tx_ovrlnd

Check out the Hauk predator bumper. Downside is it gets pricey for certain add-ons. http://haukoffroad.com/bumpers/jl-front-bumper/

It's not OEM fog compatible but the fogs offered are round and it has a bigger bumper bar, I also had a similar checklist for bumper consideration. I like the Poison Spider's lower bull bar and it seems to be a stronger design, I'm not so dead set against the cube fogs either. I wish companies would provide an inside shot of their bumpers so I could tell if the fog spots could be modified to fit lights of some sort, it'd make deciding so much easier.

aug0211

Check out the Hauk predator bumper. Downside is it gets pricey for certain add-ons. http://haukoffroad.com/bumpers/jl-front-bumper/

It's not OEM fog compatible but the fogs offered are round and it has a bigger bumper bar, I also had a similar checklist for bumper consideration. I like the Poison Spider's lower bull bar and it seems to be a stronger design, I'm not so dead set against the cube fogs either. I wish companies would provide an inside shot of their bumpers so I could tell if the fog spots could be modified to fit lights of some sort, it'd make deciding so much easier.

I’m with you! The Predator is so close - just wish there was some beveling or angling at the edges of the bumper. It’s a bit “abrupt” or “blocky” feeling to me on the ends. I do love it though. The price is also a bit crazy, so it’s hard for me to justify the cost when it isn’t “perfect” for me (if that makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

tx_ovrlnd

I’m with you! The Predator is so close - just wish there was some beveling or angling at the edges of the bumper. It’s a bit “abrupt” or “blocky” feeling to me on the ends. I do love it though. The price is also a bit crazy, so it’s hard for me to justify the cost when it isn’t “perfect” for me (if that makes sense).

I get the desire for the perfect bumper, buy it once and have no regrets. Maybe find someone selling a take-off steel front bumper and purchase a JCR add-on bar? There are two types, stinger and pre-runner. This should meet all your requirements as it follows the body lines being a factory piece, retains the factory fogs lol, allows for recessed winch mounting, can be made stubby by removing the wings, and the bars don't have any light mount tabs that I could see. Be careful with chasing perfection.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLBmp/JLHR-T-PC.html (pre-runner)
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLBmp/JLHR-S-PC.html (stinger)

aug0211

I get the desire for the perfect bumper, buy it once and have no regrets. Maybe find someone selling a take-off steel front bumper and purchase a JCR add-on bar? There are two types, stinger and pre-runner. This should meet all your requirements as it follows the body lines being a factory piece, retains the factory fogs lol, allows for recessed winch mounting, can be made stubby by removing the wings, and the bars don't have any light mount tabs that I could see. Be careful with chasing perfection.

“Chasing perfection” - you are spot on. I’m horrible about product selection. I get very picky with things, tend to know exactly what I want, and then do a horrible job of compromising.

If you think I’m bad picking a bumper for my Jeep - you should see the poor medical team and sales teams dealing with me right now as my wife and I select which brand cochlear
implants to go with for our daughter [emoji51][emoji15][emoji28]

Back on topic - this might by my new favorite option. The price of the OEM bumper kills me, but it may be worth it. Wish I could find a takeoff from someone who go steel bumpers but didn’t want them. Thank you for sharing this option!!! Excited about it!

tx_ovrlnd

“Chasing perfection” - you are spot on. I’m horrible about product selection. I get very picky with things, tend to know exactly what I want, and then do a horrible job of compromising.

If you think I’m bad picking a bumper for my Jeep - you should see the poor medical team and sales teams dealing with me right now as my wife and I select which brand cochlear
implants to go with for our daughter [emoji51][emoji15][emoji28]

Back on topic - this might by my new favorite option. The price of the OEM bumper kills me, but it may be worth it. Wish I could find a takeoff from someone who go steel bumpers but didn’t want them. Thank you for sharing this option!!! Excited about it!

I’m guilty of chasing perfection as well, my wife has become used to it thankfully as I usually research and compare specs in depth versus impulse buy and regret. I want to future proof the build when I actually go to buy the Jeep.
Right now I’m torn between sport S to upgrade as I go or start at the base rubi which has great starting potential; I’m unsure of my future in rock crawling but I really like the high clearance fenders, strong wider axles and 4.10 gear ratios. Luckily I get to see how these first few year releases do in real testing.

aug0211

Took your advice - moving forward with this option.

Ordered the winch and winch mounting hardware tonight. Hoping to order the steel bumper tomorrow.

One thing I can’t seem to confirm is whether my OEM LED fogs out of my plastic Rubi bumper will mount up in the steel bumper or not.

I’m also hoping there might be other options for the bars. The JCR might be fine, it just seems a bit narrow to me/not as beefy as I’m hoping for.

WiscoHR

Ordered the winch and winch mounting hardware tonight. Hoping to order the steel bumper tomorrow.

One thing I can’t seem to confirm is whether my OEM LED fogs out of my plastic Rubi bumper will mount up in the steel bumper or not.

I’m also hoping there might be other options for the bars. The JCR might be fine, it just seems a bit narrow to me/not as beefy as I’m hoping for.

I was looking for something similar. My main thing was to have the winch recessed. Thought I really needed something with the fog lights, but honestly with the LED light package the headlights are enough. So I went this route.

IMG_1548.JPG

Decided tire clearance and good approach was most important.

tx_ovrlnd

You could have a bar fab‘d up if you can find a nearby machine shop that’s not into overcharging.

Last edited:

aug0211

You could have a bar fab‘d up if you can find a nearby machine shop that’s not into overcharging.

Not a bad idea. Anyone know of options in central Ohio? I’ll start asking around.

Still not sure about my fog light situation. Will OEM LEF fogs from my plastic bumper mount up/fit in the steel bumper? Seems like there’s some varying info out there.

tx_ovrlnd

Not a bad idea. Anyone know of options in central Ohio? I’ll start asking around.

Still not sure about my fog light situation. Will OEM LEF fogs from my plastic bumper mount up/fit in the steel bumper? Seems like there’s some varying info out there.

Truthfully I don't know, knowing how manufacturers are these days, probably not lol.

aug0211

FWIW, I received my bumper from ExtremeTerrain. This is how it was “packaged” for shipment. Incredible. IMG_0913.JPGIMG_0912.JPG

Needless to say, it is damaged and is going back. Frustrating experience to say the least. The returns process has been a nightmare (still have the bumper taking up space in my garage, and I still don’t have the money refunded).

I ordered from JEGs as they had it in stock (nobody does!) and they did a price match of the 15% off price from the MOPAR coupon. It arrived last night, much better packaging.

Note - both sellers say the fogs and tow hooks do *not* come with the bumper. Both DID come included, from both vendors.

JSwoggs

Can you swap parts around to make one undamaged bumper? Honestly, if it were me... I would swap out the one damaged section of your second bumper with the hopefully undamaged same piece from the first bumper and send the first bumper back.

aug0211

Can you swap parts around to make one undamaged bumper? Honestly, if it were me... I would swap out the one damaged section of your second bumper with the hopefully undamaged same piece from the first bumper and send the first bumper back.

Ding ding ding!

Great idea. Thank you.

I plan to just run stubby, anyway, but for the price they charge, I would like to at least have the end caps on hand in case I want them later.

Thank you for the creativity!