Tire protrusion?

Tubbydude

Those of you on 37x12.5’s how for does your tire protrude from the edge of the fender? I live in a state where they are enacting laws that put a strange hold on my Jeep mod addiction. Here in Massachusetts we are legally only allowed the wheels to protrude one inch past the fenders. Can someone kindly take a measurement for me before I purchase a new set of tires? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The JL on the left side of this photo is running 12.50's mounted on wheels with 4.75" of back spacing. That's 1/4" more than what you're looking at and if you look at the rear tire, you can clearly see that it's sticking out about 2" past the fender.

20180331204518-3da07403-me.jpg

If keeping your tires tucked is required, you will need to get wheels with MORE back spacing. 5.5" is probably about what you'll need.

Tubbydude

Thanks for all the good intelligent information. I had not thought about back spacing being an issue. If I do get s rim with 5.5” of back spacing how much rub do you think I’ll have with the 37x12.5x17 Cooper SST Pro’s? And again thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the good intelligent information. I had not thought about back spacing being an issue. If I do get s rim with 5.5” of back spacing how much rub do you think I’ll have with the 37x12.5x17 Cooper SST Pro’s? And again thanks in advance

You might see a little rubbing at a full turn but you can fix that by adjusting your steer stops. Aside from that, your tires would tuck under the fenders easier at a full stuff so you might be better off.

Onlyone

Those of you on 37x12.5’s how for does your tire protrude from the edge of the fender? I live in a state where they are enacting laws that put a strange hold on my Jeep mod addiction. Here in Massachusetts we are legally only allowed the wheels to protrude one inch past the fenders. Can someone kindly take a measurement for me before I purchase a new set of tires? TIA

As Eddie explained, you can adjust your steering stops to keep the wheels under the fenders from rubbing. You can run the factory wheels just fine. I did it with mine. Amazingly you don’t really need to adjust them much. Just a few turns will work. And at ride height you don’t need to adjust at all. Only at full stuff will you have issues.

Richamby

So will KMC make a XD229, XD 228, XD231 or XD142 with that backspace in a 17x8.5 or 9?

Or who does?

Last edited: